* [dm-devel] Basic Github CI for multipath-tools
@ 2020-12-19  0:07 Martin Wilck
From: Martin Wilck @ 2020-12-19  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Varoqui, Benjamin Marzinski, Xose Vazquez Perez

Hi Christophe, all,

I have created a basic CI for multipath-tools on github:

https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools/actions

It builds multipath-tools with different compilers and runs the
unit tests. It's currently on the "upstream-tip" branch only,
which is otherwise identical to upstream-queue (today, at least).

Christophe, would you be willing to pull this into the main
repo one day?

Regards,
Martin

* Re: [dm-devel] Basic Github CI for multipath-tools
@ 2020-12-19 10:26 ` Christophe Varoqui
From: Christophe Varoqui @ 2020-12-19 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sure, nice work.

Would you like to create a PR, to merge it upstream ?
So we can test if this process makes sense.

Regards,
Christophe

@ 2021-01-05 21:45   ` Martin Wilck
From: Martin Wilck @ 2021-01-05 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Varoqui

Hi Christophe,

On Sat, 2020-12-19 at 11:26 +0100, Christophe Varoqui wrote:
> Sure, nice work.
>
> Would you like to create a PR, to merge it upstream ?
> So we can test if this process makes sense.

Sure, will do.

One problem that I currently have is that the openSUSE/multipath-tools
repo is a fork of your old repo, and it's impossible to change the
upstream repo in github, AFAICS. Therefore I can't create a PR directly
from openSUSE/multipath-tools.

I guess I'll have to re-build the openSUSE/multipath-tools repo "from
scratch" as a fork of your new github repo before we can realistically
work with github PRs. That's a bit of work because there are many
branches, and it needs to be discussed and coordinated in our
organization.

You'll notice when I've got to it :-)

In the meantime, please consider pulling upstream-queue, the current
state is pretty much settled between Ben and myself.

In the long run, let's handle everything that touches the actual
multipath-tools code via dm-devel as usual, and handle github-specific
things like CI via PRs. OK?

Regards and happy new year,
Martin

> Regards,
> Christophe
>
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2020 at 1:07 AM Martin Wilck <mwilck@suse.com> wrote:
> > Hi Christophe, all,
> >
> > I have created a basic CI for multipath-tools on github:
> >
> > https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools/actions
> >
> > It builds multipath-tools with different compilers and runs the
> > unit tests. It's currently on the "upstream-tip" branch only,
> > which is otherwise identical to upstream-queue (today, at least).
> >
> > Christophe, would you be willing to pull this into the main
> > repo one day?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Martin

* [dm-devel] New draft openSUSE multipath-tools repo on github
@ 2021-01-06 22:45     ` Martin Wilck
From: Martin Wilck @ 2021-01-06 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Varoqui, Benjamin Marzinski, Hannes Reinecke

Hi Christophe, Ben, everybody,

On Tue, 2021-01-05 at 22:45 +0100, Martin Wilck wrote:
> Hi Christophe,
>
> On Sat, 2020-12-19 at 11:26 +0100, Christophe Varoqui wrote:
> > Sure, nice work.
> >
> > Would you like to create a PR, to merge it upstream ?
> > So we can test if this process makes sense.
>
> Sure, will do.
>
> One problem that I currently have is that the openSUSE/multipath-
> tools
> repo is a fork of your old repo, and it's impossible to change the
> upstream repo in github, AFAICS. Therefore I can't create a PR
> directly
> from openSUSE/multipath-tools.
>
> I guess I'll have to re-build the openSUSE/multipath-tools repo "from
> scratch" as a fork of your new github repo before we can
> realistically
> work with github PRs. That's a bit of work because there are many
> branches, and it needs to be discussed and coordinated in our
> organization.

I've drafted the new openSUSE multipath-tools github repo now:

https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools-1

(the repo name will change!)

This repo is forked from Christophe's github repo and will thus allow
creating Pull Requests for Christophe.

I have simplified the branch names that matter for upstream development
wrt the old repo:

  upstream-queue -> queue
  upstream-fixes -> fixes
  upstream-tip -> tip (this one contains github CI)

Besides these, the repo contains some (open)SUSE-specific branches and
tags, but I've left out a lot of old stuff which will continue to live
on the old openSUSE repo only.

Please have a look. If I get positive feedback, I'll rename the current
openSUSE multipath-tools repo to "openSUSE/multipath-tools-pre2021" and
rename this one to "openSUSE/multipath-tools".

Best Regards,
Martin

* Re: [dm-devel] New draft openSUSE multipath-tools repo on github
@ 2021-01-11  7:43       ` Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2021-01-11  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Wilck, Christophe Varoqui, Benjamin Marzinski

On 1/6/21 11:45 PM, Martin Wilck wrote:
> Hi Christophe, Ben, everybody,
>
> On Tue, 2021-01-05 at 22:45 +0100, Martin Wilck wrote:
>> Hi Christophe,
>>
>> On Sat, 2020-12-19 at 11:26 +0100, Christophe Varoqui wrote:
>>> Sure, nice work.
>>>
>>> Would you like to create a PR, to merge it upstream ?
>>> So we can test if this process makes sense.
>>
>> Sure, will do.
>>
>> One problem that I currently have is that the openSUSE/multipath-
>> tools
>> repo is a fork of your old repo, and it's impossible to change the
>> upstream repo in github, AFAICS. Therefore I can't create a PR
>> directly
>> from openSUSE/multipath-tools.
>>
>> I guess I'll have to re-build the openSUSE/multipath-tools repo "from
>> scratch" as a fork of your new github repo before we can
>> realistically
>> work with github PRs. That's a bit of work because there are many
>> branches, and it needs to be discussed and coordinated in our
>> organization.
>
> I've drafted the new openSUSE multipath-tools github repo now:
>
> https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools-1
>
> (the repo name will change!)
>
> This repo is forked from Christophe's github repo and will thus allow
> creating Pull Requests for Christophe.
>
> I have simplified the branch names that matter for upstream development
> wrt the old repo:
>
>    upstream-queue -> queue
>    upstream-fixes -> fixes
>    upstream-tip -> tip (this one contains github CI)
>
> Besides these, the repo contains some (open)SUSE-specific branches and
> tags, but I've left out a lot of old stuff which will continue to live
> on the old openSUSE repo only.
>
> Please have a look. If I get positive feedback, I'll rename the current
> openSUSE multipath-tools repo to "openSUSE/multipath-tools-pre2021" and
> rename this one to "openSUSE/multipath-tools".

Looks good to me.

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Kernel Storage Architect
hare@suse.de                              +49 911 74053 688

* [dm-devel] multipath-tools: NEW openSUSE github repo
@ 2021-01-11 14:54         ` Martin Wilck
From: Martin Wilck @ 2021-01-11 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hannes Reinecke, Christophe Varoqui, Benjamin Marzinski

On Mon, 2021-01-11 at 08:43 +0100, Hannes Reinecke wrote:

> Looks good to me.

OK. I have renamed the repositories now. The new openSUSE repo is now
reachable as

https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools

The important branches have been renamed, please update your bookmarks:

https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools/tree/fixes
  (obvious bug fixes, reviewed - Christophe should be able
   to pull from here any time)
https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools/tree/queue
  (less obvious and larger changes reviewed on dm-devel,
   this is where changes for new releases would be pulled from)
https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools/tree/tip
  (active development)

We should discuss the git workflow. Until now, I've always rebased my
branches on Christophe's when pulling. I would like to switch to a
merge-based workflow for "queue" and "fixes". This would make it easier
for third parties to pull from these branches. It would mean that
Christophe's repo won't keep a fully linear history. I'm not sure if
that matters to anyone, but I wanted to ask anyway. The "tip" branch
will continue to be rebased (onto "queue").

As discussed previously, changes regarding the multipath-tools code
itself will continue to be posted on dm-devel. Other stuff such as
github-specific changes (e.g. CI) might be handled via github PR,
without bothering the list, unless anyone objects.

The previous openSUSE repo, which will be mostly stale from now on, is
now found here:

https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools-pre2021

Regards
Martin

* Re: [dm-devel] multipath-tools: NEW openSUSE github repo
@ 2021-01-11 18:42           ` Benjamin Marzinski
From: Benjamin Marzinski @ 2021-01-11 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 03:54:01PM +0100, Martin Wilck wrote:
> On Mon, 2021-01-11 at 08:43 +0100, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> > >
> > Looks good to me.
>
> OK. I have renamed the repositories now. The new openSUSE repo is now
> reachable as
>
> https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools
>
> The important branches have been renamed, please update your bookmarks:
>
> https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools/tree/fixes
>   (obvious bug fixes, reviewed - Christophe should be able
>    to pull from here any time)
> https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools/tree/queue
>   (less obvious and larger changes reviewed on dm-devel,
>    this is where changes for new releases would be pulled from)
> https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools/tree/tip
>   (active development)
>
> We should discuss the git workflow. Until now, I've always rebased my
> branches on Christophe's when pulling. I would like to switch to a
> merge-based workflow for "queue" and "fixes". This would make it easier
> for third parties to pull from these branches. It would mean that
> Christophe's repo won't keep a fully linear history. I'm not sure if
> that matters to anyone, but I wanted to ask anyway. The "tip" branch
> will continue to be rebased (onto "queue").

Souds reasonable.

> As discussed previously, changes regarding the multipath-tools code
> itself will continue to be posted on dm-devel. Other stuff such as
> github-specific changes (e.g. CI) might be handled via github PR,
> without bothering the list, unless anyone objects.

Sure.

-Ben

@ 2021-01-25 15:04             ` Martin Wilck
From: Martin Wilck @ 2021-01-25 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Marzinski, Christophe Varoqui

On Mon, 2021-01-11 at 12:42 -0600, Benjamin Marzinski wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 03:54:01PM +0100, Martin Wilck wrote:
> >
> > We should discuss the git workflow. Until now, I've always rebased
> > my
> > branches on Christophe's when pulling. I would like to switch to a
> > merge-based workflow for "queue" and "fixes". This would make it
> > easier
> > for third parties to pull from these branches. It would mean that
> > Christophe's repo won't keep a fully linear history. I'm not sure
> > if
> > that matters to anyone, but I wanted to ask anyway. The "tip"
> > branch
> > will continue to be rebased (onto "queue").
>

> Souds reasonable.

I made a first merge between "queue" and "fixes" now

Christophe, now would be the time to raise your voice if you dislike
this.

https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools/commits/queue
https://github.com/openSUSE/multipath-tools/commits/tip

@ 2021-01-25 18:26               ` Christophe Varoqui