* [POC] Get acpi table to limit memory scope chosen by KASLR to home SB when "movable_node" is specified
@ 2017-08-03  8:51 Chao Fan
From: Chao Fan @ 2017-08-03  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel, x86
  Cc: hpa, tglx, mingo, keescook, bhe, dyoung, arnd, dave.jiang,
	indou.takao, izumi.taku

Hi all,

Here is an issue about movable_node and KASLR.
Currently, KASLR works well with "mem=", by which we can limit the scope of
memory chosen by KASLR. But if we use "movable_node" independently without
"mem=", we don't know the scope of memory in the home SB, which will cause
the memory of hotplug SB may be chosen by KASLR.
To solve this problem, I want to do this job:
If "movable_node" is specified, try to get the acpi table and find the scope
of memory in home SB, then set "mem_limit".

The order of getting table is:
boot_params
    \-systab
        \-efi tables
             \-rsdp
                 \-rsdt or xsdt
                      \-acpi root table list
                            \-acpi srat mem affinity

I am not sure if it's OK for community.
If there are any problems, please let me know.
Any comments will be welcome.

Thanks,
Chao Fan

* Re: [POC] Get acpi table to limit memory scope chosen by KASLR to home SB when "movable_node" is specified
@ 2017-08-03  8:59   ` Dou Liyang
From: Dou Liyang @ 2017-08-03  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chao Fan, linux-kernel, x86
  Cc: hpa, tglx, mingo, keescook, bhe, dyoung, arnd, dave.jiang,
	indou.takao, izumi.taku, Rafael J.,
	Wysocki, Zheng, Lv, ACPI Devel Maling List

Cc ACPI maintainers and mail list

From: Dou Liyang @ 2017-08-03  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chao Fan, linux-kernel, x86
  Cc: hpa, tglx, mingo, keescook, bhe, dyoung, arnd, dave.jiang,

@ 2017-08-03  9:03     ` Chao Fan
From: Chao Fan @ 2017-08-03  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dou Liyang
  Cc: linux-kernel, x86, hpa, tglx, mingo, keescook, bhe, dyoung, arnd,
	dave.jiang, indou.takao, izumi.taku, Rafael J.,

On Thu, Aug 03, 2017 at 04:59:26PM +0800, Dou Liyang wrote:
>Cc ACPI maintainers and mail list

So many thanks.

>At 08/03/2017 04:51 PM, Chao Fan wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Here is an issue about movable_node and KASLR.
>> Currently, KASLR works well with "mem=", by which we can limit the scope of
>> memory chosen by KASLR. But if we use "movable_node" independently without
>> "mem=", we don't know the scope of memory in the home SB, which will cause
>> the memory of hotplug SB may be chosen by KASLR.
>> To solve this problem, I want to do this job:
>> If "movable_node" is specified, try to get the acpi table and find the scope
>> of memory in home SB, then set "mem_limit".
>>
>> The order of getting table is:
>> boot_params
>>     \-systab
>>         \-efi tables
>>              \-rsdp
>>                  \-rsdt or xsdt
>>                       \-acpi root table list
>>                             \-acpi srat mem affinity

I am not sure if it's good to do this job in this period,
so I want to get the feedback of community.

Thanks,
Chao Fan

From: Chao Fan @ 2017-08-03  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dou Liyang