* [Fuego] Fuego without Jenkins and Docker
@ 2018-11-05  8:20 Georg Piewald
From: Georg Piewald @ 2018-11-05  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fuego

Hi,

Can anyone give me a hint if it is easily possible to use Fuego without
the accompanying Jenkins server and Docker container? I would like to
run (i.e. build, deploy, execute, analyze) test cases and test plans
just from command line and get the results in any machine-readable form.
What bits and pieces would I need to do that?

I hoped that it would be as simple as just using the fuego-core repo,
but the configuration of boards and toolchains is in the fuego repo, so
I will need that too.

Thanks, Georg

PS: Reason is that I have a rather complex build environment, with
Jenkins and Docker already in place. If I run Fuego in a parallel
infrastructure, it's not only extra maintenance effort, but also more
complicated to establish communication between the two environments
(trigger test runs directly from builds and report the results back).

* Re: [Fuego] Fuego without Jenkins and Docker
@ 2018-11-05 21:48 ` Tim.Bird
From: Tim.Bird @ 2018-11-05 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gpi, fuego

This has been a goal for a while. There are some ftc commands you can run outside the container now. On a recent business trip (for the Automated Testing Summit) I made some patches for expanding the number of ftc commands that can be run outside the container. However, I ended up deciding that integrating the patches in the master branch was too dangerous right now, just before the 1.4 release. I'm trying to pin down the 1.4 release real soon.

The most important commands to run outside docker are "ftc run-test" and "ftc gen-report". Of these, 'gen-report' should be easy to get running outside docker. 'run-test' has a few Jenkins dependencies, but I don't think it would be a huge effort to make these optional.

I'm inclined to put the current work in my 'next' branch. Would you be interested in experimenting with this? If so, I could probably get something ready in a few days.

- - Tim

@ 2018-11-06 18:01   ` Georg Piewald
From: Georg Piewald @ 2018-11-06 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fuego

Hi Tim,

I'm super interested in this feature set and I would happily try it out
and experiment with it. However, I can at most offer a few hours per
week on this. If you are hesitating to already put it on the 'next'
branch, you could of course also put it on some other branch (like
'unstable' or 'experimental').

Georg

@ 2018-11-07 18:18     ` Tim.Bird
From: Tim.Bird @ 2018-11-07 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gpi, fuego

OK - I'm occupied for a few days this week with some other
pressing business, but I'll see what I can put together by the end
of the week.

In reviewing the support we have now, it may be
that we actually have less to implement than I expected.
You can actually run any ftc command outside the docker container,
but ftc will detect this, and for many of the commands it will
find the fuego container and re-execute the command inside
the container.  This is all transparent (or should be) to the caller of ftc.

This support may be sufficient for what you need.  It doesn't
eliminate the container, but it does make it so you can perform
Fuego operations without the need to instantiate them inside the
container.  It probably needs some documentation to explain how
to set this up, and how to diagnose issues with this mode of operation.
I'll try to work on that soon. :-)
 -- Tim