* Dealing with large number of IPv4 clients
@ 2019-03-21 12:35 David Weinberger
From: David Weinberger @ 2019-03-21 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Dear wireguard team,

We are a VPN service provider trying to offer wireguard to our customers.

Given the large user base, we plan to lease IPs automatically using a custom upper layer service before users can connect, but we can not seems to find a proper opportunity to reclaim those IPs. Once allocated, it seems wireguard assumes the client can use the IP forever, since there is no explicit disconnection.

What's the proper way to deal with large number of IPv4 clients?

(We're aware of the wg-dynamic project, but it seems it's IPv6 only.)

Regards.

* Re: Dealing with large number of IPv4 clients
@ 2019-03-23 10:56 ` Linus Nordberg
From: Linus Nordberg @ 2019-03-23 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

David Weinberger <cubicalpie@protonmail.com> wrote
Thu, 21 Mar 2019 12:35:05 +0000:

> What's the proper way to deal with large number of IPv4 clients?
>
> (We're aware of the wg-dynamic project, but it seems it's IPv6 only.)

wg-dynamic will support dynamic IP address allocation for both IPv4 and
IPv6.

It will use a link local IPv6 address for communications between client
and server daemons. Maybe this can explain the misconception that it
would be handling IPv6 addresses only?

* Re: Dealing with large number of IPv4 clients
@ 2019-03-25 21:08 ` Matthias Urlichs
From: Matthias Urlichs @ 2019-03-25 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

On 21.03.19 13:35, David Weinberger wrote:
> Once allocated, it seems wireguard assumes the client can use the IP
> forever, since there is no explicit disconnection.

Umm, no. A client can only use addresses assigned to it. Thus if you
give the address to another client, packets from the original client
using that source address will be discarded.

--
-- Matthias Urlichs