* Ceph Manager brag module
@ 2017-12-14  9:24 Wido den Hollander
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2017-12-14  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: lvaz

Hi,

After discussing with Sage I started to work [0] on a 'brag' module for
Ceph Manager.

The intention of this module is to send (after a opt-in!) statistics
about a Ceph cluster back to the project every few days.

My intention is to include:

- fsid (as identifier)
- number of MONs
- number of OSDs
- FileStore / BlueStore
- number of pools / PGs
- data used in bytes
- data free
- number of objects,
- version(s)

A admin can also say that the report is allowed to be 'public' where you
can then visit (for example) https://brag.ceph.com/public/<fsid> and
show off your Ceph cluster.

You could then add a description and we could compile top lists about
Ceph systems.

How do people think about this? Would this be interesting?

I would try to convince most of my customers to send this information
back to the project. The more information we get, the better Ceph can
become.

Wido

[0]: https://github.com/wido/ceph/commits/mgr-brag

* Re: Ceph Manager brag module
@ 2017-12-14 11:44 ` Lenz Grimmer
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lenz Grimmer @ 2017-12-14 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: lvaz

Hey Wido,

On 12/14/2017 10:24 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:

> After discussing with Sage I started to work [0] on a 'brag' module for
> Ceph Manager.

Nice!

> The intention of this module is to send (after a opt-in!) statistics
> about a Ceph cluster back to the project every few days.
>
> My intention is to include:
>
> - fsid (as identifier)
> - number of MONs
> - number of OSDs
> - FileStore / BlueStore
> - number of pools / PGs
> - data used in bytes
> - data free
> - number of objects,
> - version(s)

Not sure if that could actually be extracted, but how about "Services
enabled", e.g. "RGW", "CephFS" or "RBD", with some additional insight
(e.g. how many RBDs/buckets)?

I think it would be valuable to obtain some (optional) insight into what
that cluster is actually used for.

> A admin can also say that the report is allowed to be 'public' where you
> can then visit (for example) https://brag.ceph.com/public/<fsid> and
> show off your Ceph cluster.
>
> You could then add a description and we could compile top lists about
> Ceph systems.
>
> How do people think about this? Would this be interesting?

Absolutely. One challenge I can see here (in addition to users actually
enabling it) is networking - I'd assume that many customers have
restricted their networks, so the MGR cannot easily establish an
outgoing connection without going through a proxy or before the admin
has poked a hole into the firewall. This might require configuration
options or corresponding documentation.

> I would try to convince most of my customers to send this information
> back to the project. The more information we get, the better Ceph can
> become.
>
> Wido
>
> [0]: https://github.com/wido/ceph/commits/mgr-brag

Nice work!

Lenz

* Re: Ceph Manager brag module
@ 2017-12-14 13:04   ` Kai Wagner
From: Kai Wagner @ 2017-12-14 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lenz Grimmer, ceph-devel; +Cc: lvaz

Hi Wido,

On 14.12.2017 12:44, Lenz Grimmer wrote:
> Hey Wido,
>
> On 12/14/2017 10:24 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
>
>> After discussing with Sage I started to work [0] on a 'brag' module for
>> Ceph Manager.
> Nice!
+1 great idea!
>> The intention of this module is to send (after a opt-in!) statistics
>> about a Ceph cluster back to the project every few days.
>>
>> My intention is to include:
>>
>> - fsid (as identifier)
>> - number of MONs
>> - number of OSDs
>> - FileStore / BlueStore
>> - number of pools / PGs
>> - data used in bytes
>> - data free
>> - number of objects,
>> - version(s)
> Not sure if that could actually be extracted, but how about "Services
> enabled", e.g. "RGW", "CephFS" or "RBD", with some additional insight
> (e.g. how many RBDs/buckets)?
>
> I think it would be valuable to obtain some (optional) insight into what
> that cluster is actually used for.
Two things. It would be really nice if the user could specify which of
those options they're willing to share, so these should be configurable.

Another thing I would like to add here is "performance" of the overall
cluster in general. So iop's/throughput/latency and so on. This way a
user could also check how the performance of their cluster evolved over
time.

Pretty nifty example: After a user upgraded their cluster to the newest
release was their a big performance win or drop maybe caused by this
update? This would be really helpful for everyone.

>> A admin can also say that the report is allowed to be 'public' where you
>> can then visit (for example) https://brag.ceph.com/public/<fsid> and
>> show off your Ceph cluster.
>>
>> You could then add a description and we could compile top lists about
>> Ceph systems.
>>
>> How do people think about this? Would this be interesting?
> Absolutely. One challenge I can see here (in addition to users actually
> enabling it) is networking - I'd assume that many customers have
> restricted their networks, so the MGR cannot easily establish an
> outgoing connection without going through a proxy or before the admin
> has poked a hole into the firewall. This might require configuration
> options or corresponding documentation.
That true indeed, but I think customers who are willing to send reports
don't have a problem to route or open this port within their firewall.
>> I would try to convince most of my customers to send this information
>> back to the project. The more information we get, the better Ceph can
>> become.
>>
>> Wido
>>
>> [0]: https://github.com/wido/ceph/commits/mgr-brag
> Nice work!
>
> Lenz

* Re: Ceph Manager brag module
@ 2017-12-14 14:08 ` Blair Bethwaite
From: Blair Bethwaite @ 2017-12-14 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wido den Hollander; +Cc: Ceph Development, lvaz

Nice idea.

I definitely agree that the submission mechanism needs to support HTTP
proxies. I imagine many (most?) ceph-mgr daemons are on private
networks, and not everyone has NAT.

On 14 December 2017 at 20:24, Wido den Hollander <wido@42on.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After discussing with Sage I started to work [0] on a 'brag' module for Ceph
> Manager.
>
> The intention of this module is to send (after a opt-in!) statistics about a
> Ceph cluster back to the project every few days.
>
> My intention is to include:
>
> - fsid (as identifier)
> - number of MONs
> - number of OSDs
> - FileStore / BlueStore
> - number of pools / PGs
> - data used in bytes
> - data free
> - number of objects,
> - version(s)
>
> A admin can also say that the report is allowed to be 'public' where you can
> then visit (for example) https://brag.ceph.com/public/<fsid> and show off
> your Ceph cluster.
>
> You could then add a description and we could compile top lists about Ceph
> systems.
>
> How do people think about this? Would this be interesting?
>
> I would try to convince most of my customers to send this information back
> to the project. The more information we get, the better Ceph can become.
>
> Wido
>
> [0]: https://github.com/wido/ceph/commits/mgr-brag

Cheers,
~Blairo

* Re: Ceph Manager brag module
@ 2017-12-14 15:43   ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2017-12-14 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Blair Bethwaite; +Cc: Ceph Development, lvaz

On 12/14/2017 03:08 PM, Blair Bethwaite wrote:
> Nice idea.

Tnx!

> I definitely agree that the submission mechanism needs to support HTTP
> proxies. I imagine many (most?) ceph-mgr daemons are on private
> networks, and not everyone has NAT.

Yes, that's something I'll implement. Should be simple to do with Python
requests.

Wido

> On 14 December 2017 at 20:24, Wido den Hollander <wido@42on.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After discussing with Sage I started to work [0] on a 'brag' module for Ceph
>> Manager.
>>
>> The intention of this module is to send (after a opt-in!) statistics about a
>> Ceph cluster back to the project every few days.
>>
>> My intention is to include:
>>
>> - fsid (as identifier)
>> - number of MONs
>> - number of OSDs
>> - FileStore / BlueStore
>> - number of pools / PGs
>> - data used in bytes
>> - data free
>> - number of objects,
>> - version(s)
>>
>> A admin can also say that the report is allowed to be 'public' where you can
>> then visit (for example) https://brag.ceph.com/public/<fsid> and show off
>> your Ceph cluster.
>>
>> You could then add a description and we could compile top lists about Ceph
>> systems.
>>
>> How do people think about this? Would this be interesting?
>>
>> I would try to convince most of my customers to send this information back
>> to the project. The more information we get, the better Ceph can become.
>>
>> Wido
>>
>> [0]: https://github.com/wido/ceph/commits/mgr-brag
>> --

* Re: Ceph Manager brag module
@ 2017-12-14 22:37 ` Robin H. Johnson
From: Robin H. Johnson @ 2017-12-14 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 10:24:24AM +0100, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After discussing with Sage I started to work [0] on a 'brag' module for
> Ceph Manager.
>
> The intention of this module is to send (after a opt-in!) statistics
> about a Ceph cluster back to the project every few days.
I like it, but have one concern.

> My intention is to include:
> - fsid (as identifier)
Please don't expose the raw FSID.
Consider a hash of FSID before submission.

> - number of MONs
> - number of OSDs
> - FileStore / BlueStore
> - number of pools / PGs
> - data used in bytes
> - data free
> - number of objects,
> - version(s)
RGWs?

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Asst. Treasurer

* Re: Ceph Manager brag module
@ 2017-12-14 22:52   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2017-12-14 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robin H. Johnson; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 10:24:24AM +0100, Wido den Hollander wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After discussing with Sage I started to work [0] on a 'brag' module for
> > Ceph Manager.
> >
> > The intention of this module is to send (after a opt-in!) statistics
> > about a Ceph cluster back to the project every few days.
> I like it, but have one concern.
>
> > My intention is to include:
> > - fsid (as identifier)
> Please don't expose the raw FSID.
> Consider a hash of FSID before submission.

+1. I'd actually just generate a new uuid and stash it in mgr/brag/brag-id
(or similar) in config-key.

> > - number of MONs
> > - number of OSDs
> > - FileStore / BlueStore
> > - number of pools / PGs
> > - data used in bytes
> > - data free
> > - number of objects,
> > - version(s)
> RGWs?

It can summarize everything in servicemap by type so that we also capture
other daemons too (rbd-mirror and future gateways).

sage

* Re: Ceph Manager brag module
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-12-14 23:44 ` Vasu Kulkarni
       [not found]   ` <CA+z5Dsx+dAePE9rwyevWR2eBFQ0wtWF3xd_F4Vhskas0g14x5g@mail.gmail.com>
From: Vasu Kulkarni @ 2017-12-14 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wido den Hollander; +Cc: ceph-devel, lvaz

> On Dec 14, 2017, at 1:24 AM, Wido den Hollander <wido@42on.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> After discussing with Sage I started to work [0] on a 'brag' module for Ceph Manager.
>
> The intention of this module is to send (after a opt-in!) statistics about a Ceph cluster back to the project every few days.
>
> My intention is to include:
>
> - fsid (as identifier)
> - number of MONs
> - number of OSDs
> - FileStore / BlueStore
> - number of pools / PGs
> - data used in bytes
> - data free
> - number of objects,
> - version(s)
>
> A admin can also say that the report is allowed to be 'public' where you can then visit (for example) https://brag.ceph.com/public/<fsid> and show off your Ceph cluster.
>
> You could then add a description and we could compile top lists about Ceph systems.
>
> How do people think about this? Would this be interesting?

Great idea, It would be also nice to have some info on hw/osd tree + rados bench results runs for 2 mins with few profiles which could be displayed alongside (could be optional
and admin’s choice)

@ 2017-12-16  9:06     ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2017-12-16  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Blair Bethwaite, Vasu Kulkarni; +Cc: Ceph Development, lvaz

On 12/15/2017 09:14 AM, Blair Bethwaite wrote:
> I would sign up to have a regular rados bench or similar run at a
> configurable time on our clusters.

I would have to look into that as I don't know how much the manager can
access.

At first we just want to gather metadata and send it back so that we get
a feeling of how Ceph is used and how big/small the systems are.

Thanks for the input!

Wido