* [Xen-devel] Host freezing after "fixing" recursive fault starting in multicalls.c
@ 2020-01-18 18:59 Peter.Kurfer
From: Peter.Kurfer @ 2020-01-18 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi,

I was advised to bump this also to the devel mailing list, because the mentioned error message was apparently added in Kernel 4.20 (and upwards) and this kernel version  is not broadly adopted already and therefore it is unlikely that another user encountered a smiliar problem alrleady.

Original message (see also here: https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-users/2020-01/msg00013.html )

I'm running Xen 4.11.2 on Fedora 30 with Kernel versions 5.4.7 and 5.4.10 on multiple HP servers.

The workflow I'm trying to achieve looks like the following:

- a VM is resumed from a snapshot with a Python script using the libvirt API
- it is running for a few minutes,
- it gets paused and finally destroyed for testing purposes

At some point - it doesn't seem to be deterministic because sometimes it  happens directly after the boot and sometimes after multiple hours - a  huge stacktrace starting with an error in `arch/x86/xen/multicalls.c`  can be found in the kernel logs which ends with the message 'Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed!'.

After some time the system completely freezes and needs to be hard  resetted because it is not possible any more to login via SSH.
The freeze is also not deterministic but there are no other critical errors in the logs, so it seems somehow to be related.

Because the full stacktrace has round about 370 lines I attached it as a GitHub Gist:

https://gist.github.com/baez90/135c3985cbb6fd4b4204269fb384221a

I'm a little confused as to what else to try and I have no idea what the problem might be.

Any hints/ideas/proposals?

Kind regards and thanks in advance