* Need module help
@ 2017-01-07 17:54 DOHC F22
From: DOHC F22 @ 2017-01-07 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Does someone know where I can find a ToS module that works with kernel
3.10.61+ and iptables 1.4.20?

Thanks!

* Re: Need module help
@ 2017-01-07 21:33 ` Pascal Hambourg
From: Pascal Hambourg @ 2017-01-07 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DOHC F22; +Cc: netfilter

Le 07/01/2017 à 18:54, DOHC F22 a écrit :
> Does someone know where I can find a ToS module that works with kernel
> 3.10.61+ and iptables 1.4.20?

xt_dscp
xt_DSCP

* Re: Need module help
@ 2017-01-08  3:39   ` DOHC F22
From: DOHC F22 @ 2017-01-08  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Hambourg; +Cc: netfilter

Are those two different modules?

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> Le 07/01/2017 à 18:54, DOHC F22 a écrit :
>>
>> Does someone know where I can find a ToS module that works with kernel
>> 3.10.61+ and iptables 1.4.20?
>

> xt_dscp
> xt_DSCP

* Re: Need module help
@ 2017-01-08  3:53     ` /dev/rob0
From: /dev/rob0 @ 2017-01-08  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

[ top-posting fixed ]

On Sat, Jan 07, 2017 at 09:39:33PM -0600, DOHC F22 wrote:
> Are those two different modules?

Yes.  Names in lowercase are match extensions, in this case, see:
    iptables -m dscp -h

UPPERCASE names indicate target extensions, so see this:
    iptables -j DSCP -h

More information on the use of both of these extensions is found in
the manual, iptables-extensions(8).

If the features you need are not supported in such an old distro,
your best bet would be to upgrade to a more recent release (or to a
distro that's not so many years behind.)
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/

* Re: Need module help
@ 2017-01-08 11:29       ` Pascal Hambourg
From: Pascal Hambourg @ 2017-01-08 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Le 08/01/2017 à 04:53, /dev/rob0 a écrit :
> [ top-posting fixed ]

Thanks for this.

>> On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Pascal Hambourg
>> <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

>>> xt_dscp
>>> xt_DSCP
>
> On Sat, Jan 07, 2017 at 09:39:33PM -0600, DOHC F22 wrote:
>> Are those two different modules?
>
> Yes.  Names in lowercase are match extensions, in this case, see:
>     iptables -m dscp -h
>
> UPPERCASE names indicate target extensions, so see this:
>     iptables -j DSCP -h

Note that these modules also support the older tos match and TOS target
extensions respectively.

* Re: Need module help
@ 2017-01-12 13:29         ` DOHC F22
From: DOHC F22 @ 2017-01-12 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 5:29 AM, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> Le 08/01/2017 à 04:53, /dev/rob0 a écrit :
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 07, 2017 at 09:39:33PM -0600, DOHC F22 wrote:
>>>
>>> Are those two different modules?
>>

>> Yes.  Names in lowercase are match extensions, in this case, see:
>>     iptables -m dscp -h
>>
>> UPPERCASE names indicate target extensions, so see this:
>>     iptables -j DSCP -h
>

> Note that these modules also support the older tos match and TOS target
> extensions respectively.

I'm having trouble finding those modules for the exact iptables/kernel
version.  Should I be more focused on matching the kernel version?  Is
there some repository somewhere with modules to download?

* Re: Need module help
@ 2017-01-12 18:15           ` /dev/rob0
From: /dev/rob0 @ 2017-01-12 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 07:29:31AM -0600, DOHC F22 wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 5:29 AM, Pascal Hambourg
> <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> >> Yes.  Names in lowercase are match extensions, in this case,
> >> see:
> >>     iptables -m dscp -h
> >>
> >> UPPERCASE names indicate target extensions, so see this:
> >>     iptables -j DSCP -h
> >

> > Note that these modules also support the older tos match and
> > TOS target extensions respectively.
>
> I'm having trouble finding those modules for the exact
> iptables/kernel version.  Should I be more focused on matching
> the kernel version?  Is there some repository somewhere with
> modules to download?

No.  Well, *maybe* depending on distro, but the Linux kernel is
distributed by the upstream project (kernel.org) as source code.

Are you saying that those modules are not found on your system?  If
that's the case you're going to have to recompile your kernel with
all necessary options enabled.

BTW just about any distro kernel gets this right.  Only custom
kernels built by inexperienced people have problems like this.
(This issue is often seen on VPS systems where you don't control
your own kernel, too.)

I suspect a hefty amount of "XY question" is involved here, in
addition to a lack of background information.  Perhaps if you share
the background on what you're trying to accomplish, you can get the
kind of help you can use.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/

* Re: Need module help
@ 2017-01-14  0:27             ` DOHC F22
From: DOHC F22 @ 2017-01-14  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 12:15 PM, /dev/rob0 <rob0@gmx.co.uk> wrote:

> No.  Well, *maybe* depending on distro, but the Linux kernel is
> distributed by the upstream project (kernel.org) as source code.
>
> Are you saying that those modules are not found on your system?  If
> that's the case you're going to have to recompile your kernel with
> all necessary options enabled.
>
> BTW just about any distro kernel gets this right.  Only custom
> kernels built by inexperienced people have problems like this.
> (This issue is often seen on VPS systems where you don't control
> your own kernel, too.)
>
> I suspect a hefty amount of "XY question" is involved here, in
> addition to a lack of background information.  Perhaps if you share
> the background on what you're trying to accomplish, you can get the
> kind of help you can use.
> --
>   http://rob0.nodns4.us/
>   Offlist GMX mail is seen only if "/dev/rob0" is in the Subject:

Ok, what I'm trying to do is mark certain packets on my Fire TV (it's
running android) so when they get to my router I can filter them
accordingly.  I was told that MARK wouldn't travel with the packet but
ToS would.

* Re: Need module help
@ 2017-01-14  8:56               ` Pascal Hambourg
From: Pascal Hambourg @ 2017-01-14  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DOHC F22; +Cc: netfilter

Le 14/01/2017 à 01:27, DOHC F22 a écrit :

> Ok, what I'm trying to do is mark certain packets on my Fire TV (it's
> running android) so when they get to my router I can filter them
> accordingly.  I was told that MARK wouldn't travel with the packet but
> ToS would.

Indeed MARK is internal to the kernel.

So you need the TOS/DSCP target kernel module and iptables extension on
the Fire TV Android, and the tos/dscp match kernel module and iptables
extension on the router (what OS ?). Which ones are missing, on which side ?

* Re: Need module help
@ 2017-01-14 16:38                 ` DOHC F22
From: DOHC F22 @ 2017-01-14 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Hambourg; +Cc: netfilter

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 2:56 AM, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> Le 14/01/2017 à 01:27, DOHC F22 a écrit :
>>

>> Ok, what I'm trying to do is mark certain packets on my Fire TV (it's
>> running android) so when they get to my router I can filter them
>> accordingly.  I was told that MARK wouldn't travel with the packet but
>> ToS would.
>

> Indeed MARK is internal to the kernel.
>
> So you need the TOS/DSCP target kernel module and iptables extension on the
> Fire TV Android, and the tos/dscp match kernel module and iptables extension
> on the router (what OS ?). Which ones are missing, on which side ?

I am running Tomato firmware on my router.  It has kernel version
'2.6.36.4brcmarm' and iptables version '1.4.14'.  I think they are
missing from both.  However, I do see a 'ipt_TOS.ko' and 'ipt_tos.ko
modules on the router.  They may not be the correct ones, but they
looked promising. :)

* Re: Need module help
@ 2017-01-18 23:20                   ` DOHC F22
From: DOHC F22 @ 2017-01-18 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Is this list moderated where someone has to approve messages?  There
have been a couple of times when my posts are not showing up in the
list.

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 10:38 AM, DOHC F22 <dohcf22@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 2:56 AM, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
>> Le 14/01/2017 à 01:27, DOHC F22 a écrit :
>>>

>>> Ok, what I'm trying to do is mark certain packets on my Fire TV (it's
>>> running android) so when they get to my router I can filter them
>>> accordingly.  I was told that MARK wouldn't travel with the packet but
>>> ToS would.
>>

>> Indeed MARK is internal to the kernel.
>>
>> So you need the TOS/DSCP target kernel module and iptables extension on the
>> Fire TV Android, and the tos/dscp match kernel module and iptables extension
>> on the router (what OS ?). Which ones are missing, on which side ?
>>
> I am running Tomato firmware on my router.  It has kernel version
> '2.6.36.4brcmarm' and iptables version '1.4.14'.  I think they are
> missing from both.  However, I do see a 'ipt_TOS.ko' and 'ipt_tos.ko
> modules on the router.  They may not be the correct ones, but they
> looked promising. :)

* Re: Need module help
@ 2017-01-28  0:33                   ` DOHC F22
From: DOHC F22 @ 2017-01-28  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

I'm posting this again because it seems my posts don't come through at
times.  Please see below.

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 10:38 AM, DOHC F22 <dohcf22@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 2:56 AM, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
>> Le 14/01/2017 à 01:27, DOHC F22 a écrit :
>>>

>>> Ok, what I'm trying to do is mark certain packets on my Fire TV (it's
>>> running android) so when they get to my router I can filter them
>>> accordingly.  I was told that MARK wouldn't travel with the packet but
>>> ToS would.
>>

>> Indeed MARK is internal to the kernel.
>>
>> So you need the TOS/DSCP target kernel module and iptables extension on the
>> Fire TV Android, and the tos/dscp match kernel module and iptables extension
>> on the router (what OS ?). Which ones are missing, on which side ?
>>
> I am running Tomato firmware on my router.  It has kernel version
> '2.6.36.4brcmarm' and iptables version '1.4.14'.  I think they are
> missing from both.  However, I do see a 'ipt_TOS.ko' and 'ipt_tos.ko
> modules on the router.  They may not be the correct ones, but they
> looked promising. :)

* Re: Need module help
@ 2017-01-28  7:19                     ` prmarino1
From: prmarino1 @ 2017-01-28  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DOHC F22, netfilter

No its not that, it's just an example of how crickets sound on a mailing list ... :)
I'm not saying that to be mean, I'm just being honest.
‎
This means no one has a good answer for you based on the information you have provided.‎
We either need more information or can't help you based on the information provided.
‎
‎While we would love to help you if you can provide the information required to give you definitive answer. You may have better luck on the user forum for your router. Personally I have no clue what code base tomato is (distribution, hardware, or what modules were compiled into its kernel)  and knowing is half the battle.
‎
We will be happy to answer but keep in mind we are (for the most part) scientists on this list. Precision isn't only expected but required on this list

I'm posting this again because it seems my posts don't come through at
times. Please see below.

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 10:38 AM, DOHC F22 <dohcf22@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 2:56 AM, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
>> Le 14/01/2017 à 01:27, DOHC F22 a écrit :
>>>

>>> Ok, what I'm trying to do is mark certain packets on my Fire TV (it's
>>> running android) so when they get to my router I can filter them
>>> accordingly. I was told that MARK wouldn't travel with the packet but
>>> ToS would.
>>

>> Indeed MARK is internal to the kernel.
>>
>> So you need the TOS/DSCP target kernel module and iptables extension on the
>> Fire TV Android, and the tos/dscp match kernel module and iptables extension
>> on the router (what OS ?). Which ones are missing, on which side ?
>>
> I am running Tomato firmware on my router. It has kernel version
> '2.6.36.4brcmarm' and iptables version '1.4.14'. I think they are
> missing from both. However, I do see a 'ipt_TOS.ko' and 'ipt_tos.ko
> modules on the router. They may not be the correct ones, but they
> looked promising. :)

* Re: Need module help
@ 2017-02-02 11:36                       ` DOHC F22
From: DOHC F22 @ 2017-02-02 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: prmarino1; +Cc: netfilter

Well my main confusion was not seeing my postings.  I can understand
if no one responded, but not even seeing my own message make it to the
list was strange.  Back on topic.  Is not providing the kernel and
iptables version not enough info?