* rebase edit handling
@ 2009-05-13  6:51 Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy
From: Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy @ 2009-05-13  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could we unit the way to squash/edit commits in rebase? If I squash a
commit it, I need to to update the index and continue rebase. If I
edit a commit, I need to amend that commit. The problem is when I have
a few edits/squashes in the same rebase, I easily get confused and do
"commit --amend" on squash too.
--
Duy

* Re: rebase edit handling
@ 2009-05-13  6:59 ` Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy
From: Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy @ 2009-05-13  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy <pclouds@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could we unit the way to squash/edit commits in rebase? If I squash a

Sorry I meant "unique"
--
Duy

* Re: rebase edit handling
@ 2009-05-13  8:18 ` Anders Melchiorsen
From: Anders Melchiorsen @ 2009-05-13  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 13 May 2009 16:51:33 +1000, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy
<pclouds@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Could we unit the way to squash/edit commits in rebase? If I squash a
> commit it, I need to to update the index and continue rebase. If I
> edit a commit, I need to amend that commit. The problem is when I have
> a few edits/squashes in the same rebase, I easily get confused and do
> "commit --amend" on squash too.

A squash does not leave you at the prompt, unless you abort the editor
with the concatenated commit messages. So where does your confusion
come from?

Anyway, here is a (fruitless) thread on the confusing UI of interactive
rebase:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/105738

Maybe it answers your question in some way.

Anders.

* Re: rebase edit handling
@ 2009-05-13  9:52   ` Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy
From: Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy @ 2009-05-13  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Anders Melchiorsen
<mail@cup.kalibalik.dk> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 May 2009 16:51:33 +1000, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy
> <pclouds@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Could we unit the way to squash/edit commits in rebase? If I squash a
>> commit it, I need to to update the index and continue rebase. If I
>> edit a commit, I need to amend that commit. The problem is when I have
>> a few edits/squashes in the same rebase, I easily get confused and do
>> "commit --amend" on squash too.
>
> A squash does not leave you at the prompt, unless you abort the editor
> with the concatenated commit messages. So where does your confusion
> come from?

Hmm.. I was confused even when writing mail :P No not squash, actually
conflicts.

> Anyway, here is a (fruitless) thread on the confusing UI of interactive
> rebase:
>
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/105738
>
> Maybe it answers your question in some way.

Yes, looks interesting.

--
Duy