* [Qemu-devel] Block filter status
@ 2014-12-15 16:32 Farr, Kaitlin M.
From: Farr, Kaitlin M. @ 2014-12-15 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Dev (qemu-devel@nongnu.org); +Cc: kwolf, stefanha, benoit.canet, armbru

Hello all,

I would like to inquire about the status of block filters in QEMU. I work for a team at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, and we would be interested in a QEMU encryption feature, such as described in the to-do list [1]. However, it seems the method described relies on block filters, also on the to-do list. Does development work on block filters live in a public branch somewhere? If so, I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could point me to it so that I could take a look. Does anyone know of an estimated date for when the block filters might be in state so that one could write an encryption filter? Additionally, does anyone have an estimate for time and amount of effort if might take to implement such an encryption filter? If someone could assist me in planning out what steps need to be taken to support encryption, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kaitlin Farr

Software engineer

JHU/APL

1. http://qemu-project.org/Features/Block/Todo#New_design_for_better_encryption_support_.5Barmbru.5D

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Block filter status
@ 2014-12-15 16:51 ` Benoît Canet
From: Benoît Canet @ 2014-12-15 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Farr, Kaitlin M.
  Cc: kwolf, stefanha, QEMU Dev (qemu-devel@nongnu.org), benoit.canet, armbru

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 04:32:19PM +0000, Farr, Kaitlin M. wrote:
> Hello all,

Hello,

1) I once wanted to write block filters.
2) I am not a QEMU contributor anymore.
3) If you need block filters you also need to write them.

Best regards

Benoît

@ 2015-01-09 17:19   ` Farr, Kaitlin M.
From: Farr, Kaitlin M. @ 2015-01-09 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Dev (qemu-devel@nongnu.org)

Hello,

Is anyone working on block filters?  If so, can you please tell me what the current progress is?  I am referring to item "BlockFilter and dynamic reconfiguration of the BDS graph" on the to-do list [1].

Thanks for your time,

Kaitlin Farr
Software Engineer
JHU/APL

1. http://qemu-project.org/Features/Block/Todo#BlockFilter_and_dynamic_reconfiguration_of_the_BDS_graph

@ 2015-01-12 15:47     ` Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2015-01-12 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Farr, Kaitlin M.; +Cc: QEMU Dev (qemu-devel@nongnu.org)

"Farr, Kaitlin M." <Kaitlin.Farr@jhuapl.edu> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Is anyone working on block filters?  If so, can you please tell me
> what the current progress is?  I am referring to item "BlockFilter and
> dynamic reconfiguration of the BDS graph" on the to-do list [1].

There's substantial work being done in the general "dynamic
reconfiguration" area, but I'm not aware of anyone pursuing specifically
block filters right now.