* [RFC] Rename socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts to socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts
@ 2018-08-28 10:00 Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-08-28 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi,

I was recently experimenting with the DE0 Nano SoC / Atlas SoC . I had a
hard time finding the right DT for the board, but then was suggested
that the DT for the board is socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts . This did
not make sense to me, since SoCKit is a different board altogether. But
the DTS seems to be indeed for the DE0 Nano SoC.

To fix up this confusion, I'd propose renaming of the
socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts to socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts to
match the label on the package .

What do you think ?

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut

* [RFC] Rename socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts to socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts
@ 2018-08-29  9:14 ` Steffen Trumtrar
From: Steffen Trumtrar @ 2018-08-29  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Marek Vasut <marex@denx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was recently experimenting with the DE0 Nano SoC / Atlas SoC .
> I had a
> hard time finding the right DT for the board, but then was
> suggested
> that the DT for the board is socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts .
> This did
> not make sense to me, since SoCKit is a different board
> altogether. But
> the DTS seems to be indeed for the DE0 Nano SoC.
>
> To fix up this confusion, I'd propose renaming of the
> socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts to
> socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts to
> match the label on the package .
>
> What do you think ?

Ack. This confusion came up multiple times. The barebox-specific
dts "overlay"
is already named socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts because of
this.

Regards,
Steffen

--
Pengutronix e.K.                          | Steffen Trumtrar

Industrial Linux Solutions                |
http://www.pengutronix.de/ |
Peiner Str. 6-8, 31137 Hildesheim, Germany| Phone:
+49-5121-206917-0   |
Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686          | Fax:
+49-5121-206917-5555|

* [RFC] Rename socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts to socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts
@ 2018-08-29 10:33   ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-08-29 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 08/29/2018 11:14 AM, Steffen Trumtrar wrote:

> Marek Vasut <marex@denx.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was recently experimenting with the DE0 Nano SoC / Atlas SoC . I had a
>> hard time finding the right DT for the board, but then was suggested
>> that the DT for the board is socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts . This did
>> not make sense to me, since SoCKit is a different board altogether. But
>> the DTS seems to be indeed for the DE0 Nano SoC.
>>
>> To fix up this confusion, I'd propose renaming of the
>> socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts to socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts to
>> match the label on the package .
>>
>> What do you think ?
>
> Ack. This confusion came up multiple times. The barebox-specific dts
> "overlay"
> is already named socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts because of this.

The DT in U-Boot is also called socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts since
forever. I'd be happy to send a patch if the Altera folks are fine with it?

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut

* [RFC] Rename socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts to socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts
@ 2018-08-29 14:40     ` Nguyen, Dinh
From: Nguyen, Dinh @ 2018-08-29 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

I'm fine with it. But this is the commit message when this board was originally create:

    The Terasic DE0 Atlas board is also known as the DE0-Nano board.
    This patch adds the DTS board file for the DE0-Nano Sockit board, and not
    the DE0 Nano "Development Board".

Dinh

* [RFC] Rename socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts to socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts
@ 2018-08-29 14:46       ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-08-29 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 08/29/2018 04:40 PM, Nguyen, Dinh wrote:

> [...]

But it was never called SoCkit anywhere , no documentation lists it as
sockit. It is either DE0-Nano-SoC or Atlas-SoC , but that's it.

Note that there is a DE0-Nano board (without the -SoC suffix) with
Cyclone IV , but that one doesn't have the ARM cores and has different FPGA.

So if that's clear, I'll just send a patch ?

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut

* [RFC] Rename socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts to socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts
@ 2018-08-29 14:54         ` Nguyen, Dinh
From: Nguyen, Dinh @ 2018-08-29 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&No=941

@ 2018-08-29 15:03           ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-08-29 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 08/29/2018 04:54 PM, Nguyen, Dinh wrote:

> [...]

Half of the boards from terasic have this "kit" suffix in the listing,
but with a space in front of it. The SoCkit (without space) is:

https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&CategoryNo=167&No=816

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut

* [RFC] Rename socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts to socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts
@ 2018-08-29 15:05             ` Nguyen, Dinh
From: Nguyen, Dinh @ 2018-08-29 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Right, just noticed that. Pretty clear naming scheme, I think! ?

Dinh

* [RFC] Rename socfpga_cyclone5_de0_sockit.dts to socfpga_cyclone5_de0_nano_soc.dts
@ 2018-08-29 15:07               ` Marek Vasut
From: Marek Vasut @ 2018-08-29 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On 08/29/2018 05:05 PM, Nguyen, Dinh wrote:

> [...]

Jupp, it's confusing all right.

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut