* Recipe for Linux page-types tool
@ 2018-03-14 15:22 Martin Vuille
From: Martin Vuille @ 2018-03-14 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Openembedded-core

I have a recipe for building the page-types Linux kernel VM tool.
Is there any interest in this?
If so, to what project/layer should I send it?

MV

* Re: Recipe for Linux page-types tool
@ 2018-03-14 22:20 ` Martin Vuille
From: Martin Vuille @ 2018-03-14 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Openembedded-core

page-types is a simple Linux kernel debugging tool to list information about
the state of virtual memory (VM) pages.

The source is distributed as part of the kernel tree: tools/vm/page-types.c

MV

@ 2018-03-15 10:49   ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-03-15 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 03/15/2018 12:20 AM, Martin Vuille wrote:
> page-types is a simple Linux kernel debugging tool to list information
> about
> the state of virtual memory (VM) pages.
>
> The source is distributed as part of the kernel tree: tools/vm/page-types.c
>
> MV
>
> On 03/14/18 11:22, Martin Vuille wrote:
>> I have a recipe for building the page-types Linux kernel VM tool.
>> Is there any interest in this?
>> If so, to what project/layer should I send it?

This questions is probably better asked on the linux-yocto mailing list
then?

Alex

* Re: Recipe for Linux page-types tool
@ 2018-03-15 16:00     ` Martin Vuille
From: Martin Vuille @ 2018-03-15 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 03/15/18 06:49, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On 03/15/2018 12:20 AM, Martin Vuille wrote:
>> page-types is a simple Linux kernel debugging tool to list information about
>> the state of virtual memory (VM) pages.
>>
>> The source is distributed as part of the kernel tree: tools/vm/page-types.c
>>
>> MV
>>
>> On 03/14/18 11:22, Martin Vuille wrote:
>>> I have a recipe for building the page-types Linux kernel VM tool.
>>> Is there any interest in this?
>>> If so, to what project/layer should I send it?
>

> This questions is probably better asked on the linux-yocto mailing list then?
>
> Alex

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it.

@ 2018-03-15 16:43     ` Martin Vuille
From: Martin Vuille @ 2018-03-15 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

On 03/15/18 06:49, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On 03/15/2018 12:20 AM, Martin Vuille wrote:
>> page-types is a simple Linux kernel debugging tool to list information about
>> the state of virtual memory (VM) pages.
>>
>> The source is distributed as part of the kernel tree: tools/vm/page-types.c
>>
>> MV
>>
>> On 03/14/18 11:22, Martin Vuille wrote:
>>> I have a recipe for building the page-types Linux kernel VM tool.
>>> Is there any interest in this?
>>> If so, to what project/layer should I send it?
>

> This questions is probably better asked on the linux-yocto mailing list then?
>
> Alex

Perhaps I'm missing something. I'm offering a bitbake recipe. linux-yocto
doesn't seem to contain any layers or recipes.

@ 2018-03-15 18:09       ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2018-03-15 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Vuille; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 12:43 PM, Martin Vuille <jpmv27@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 03/15/18 06:49, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
>>
>> On 03/15/2018 12:20 AM, Martin Vuille wrote:
>>>
>>> page-types is a simple Linux kernel debugging tool to list information
>>> about
>>> the state of virtual memory (VM) pages.
>>>
>>> The source is distributed as part of the kernel tree:
>>> tools/vm/page-types.c
>>>
>>> MV

>> This questions is probably better asked on the linux-yocto mailing list
>> then?
>>
>> Alex
>

> Perhaps I'm missing something. I'm offering a bitbake recipe. linux-yocto
> doesn't seem to contain any layers or recipes.

But it is where we tend to discuss a lot of kernel things, i.e. perf,
kernel builds, etc.

In this case, if the tool comes from the kernel source tree, it would
be build not unlike
perf or the other userspace utilities that are part of the kernel
tree. Which means that
the patching of it is different than other userspace applications
(since you can't
dictate the version, etc). If the tool isn't build directly from the
kernel source, then we
have to deal with something that needs to be manually sync'd to the
kernel tree to
be kept up to date.

Cheers,

Bruce

> MV

thee at its end"

* Re: Recipe for Linux page-types tool
@ 2018-03-15 21:28       ` Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2018-03-15 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Vuille; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 5:43 PM, Martin Vuille <jpmv27@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 03/15/18 06:49, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
>>
>> On 03/15/2018 12:20 AM, Martin Vuille wrote:
>>>
>>> page-types is a simple Linux kernel debugging tool to list information
>>> about
>>> the state of virtual memory (VM) pages.
>>>
>>> The source is distributed as part of the kernel tree:
>>> tools/vm/page-types.c
>>>
>>> MV

>> This questions is probably better asked on the linux-yocto mailing list
>> then?
>>
>> Alex
>

> Perhaps I'm missing something. I'm offering a bitbake recipe. linux-yocto
> doesn't seem to contain any layers or recipes.

Hi Alex,

* You have checked layer list [1] if this recipe is not yet available?
* It would help if you send out a patch - just a description does not
say much. From what you wrote I suggest to locate the patch in repo
meta-openembedded/meta-oe/recipes-devtools. Mail addresses can be
found at [2] - for meta-openembedded it is
openembedded-devel@lists.openembedded.org.

[1] http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/branch/master/recipes/
[2] https://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Mailing_lists