* kconfig/menu.c: Fixup to "kconfig: fix undesirable side effect of adding "visible" menu attribute" ?
@ 2013-07-30 17:11 Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2013-07-30 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Gouders; +Cc: Jan Beulich, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild

Hi,

The Freetz router project has 370 [1] as a revert-patch of [2] to its
kconfig-v3.8.

commit 7ad1227818f09242cfe9bf1845fd24211f5f99bd
"kconfig: fix undesirable side effect of adding "visible" menu attribute"

I am not a kconfig-expert, but [3] looks like a fixup/folowup to it.

commit/?id=e983b7b17ad1a978e954e6aaa62cf12bfc747883
"kconfig/menu.c: fix multiple references to expressions in menu_add_prop()"

I contacted Yann in private, but I think this is worth to ask on the
linux-kbuild ML.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] http://freetz.org/browser/trunk/tools/make/patches/370-save-hidden-prompts-to-file.kconfig.patch
[2] kconfig: fix undesirable side effect of adding "visible" menu attribute
[3] kconfig/menu.c: fix multiple references to expressions in menu_add_prop()

* Re: kconfig/menu.c: Fixup to "kconfig: fix undesirable side effect of adding "visible" menu attribute" ?
@ 2013-07-31 14:16 ` Dirk Gouders
From: Dirk Gouders @ 2013-07-31 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sedat.dilek; +Cc: Jan Beulich, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild

Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> The Freetz router project has 370 [1] as a revert-patch of [2] to its
> kconfig-v3.8.
>
> commit 7ad1227818f09242cfe9bf1845fd24211f5f99bd
> "kconfig: fix undesirable side effect of adding "visible" menu attribute"
>
> I am not a kconfig-expert, but [3] looks like a fixup/folowup to it.
>
> commit/?id=e983b7b17ad1a978e954e6aaa62cf12bfc747883
> "kconfig/menu.c: fix multiple references to expressions in menu_add_prop()"
>
> I contacted Yann in private, but I think this is worth to ask on the
> linux-kbuild ML.

Hi Sedat,

you are right, [3] fixes a problem that was introduced by [2].
(I should have noted that in the commit message -- I'm not sure if we
can fix that afterwards.)

Best regards,

Dirk

@ 2013-07-31 14:22   ` Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2013-07-31 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Gouders; +Cc: Jan Beulich, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Dirk Gouders <dirk@gouders.net> wrote:
> Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The Freetz router project has 370 [1] as a revert-patch of [2] to its
>> kconfig-v3.8.
>>
>> commit 7ad1227818f09242cfe9bf1845fd24211f5f99bd
>> "kconfig: fix undesirable side effect of adding "visible" menu attribute"
>>
>> I am not a kconfig-expert, but [3] looks like a fixup/folowup to it.
>>
>> commit/?id=e983b7b17ad1a978e954e6aaa62cf12bfc747883
>> "kconfig/menu.c: fix multiple references to expressions in menu_add_prop()"
>>
>> I contacted Yann in private, but I think this is worth to ask on the
>> linux-kbuild ML.
>
> Hi Sedat,
>
> you are right, [3] fixes a problem that was introduced by [2].
> (I should have noted that in the commit message -- I'm not sure if we
> can fix that afterwards.)

Hi Dirk,

thanks for the clarification and fixing this up.
I told Yann in my private email to always add a reference to the
"culprit" commit (root-cause).
That helps follower - even they (pretend to) have no glue :-)!

Regards,
- Sedat -

@ 2013-07-31 16:53     ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2013-07-31 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sedat Dilek; +Cc: Dirk Gouders, Jan Beulich, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild

Sedat, Dirk, All,

On 2013-07-31 16:22 +0200, Sedat Dilek spake thusly:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Dirk Gouders <dirk@gouders.net> wrote:
> > Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> writes:
> >> The Freetz router project has 370 [1] as a revert-patch of [2] to its
> >> kconfig-v3.8.
> >>
> >> commit 7ad1227818f09242cfe9bf1845fd24211f5f99bd
> >> "kconfig: fix undesirable side effect of adding "visible" menu attribute"
> >>
> >> I am not a kconfig-expert, but [3] looks like a fixup/folowup to it.
> >>
> >> commit/?id=e983b7b17ad1a978e954e6aaa62cf12bfc747883
> >> "kconfig/menu.c: fix multiple references to expressions in menu_add_prop()"
> >>
> >> I contacted Yann in private, but I think this is worth to ask on the
> >> linux-kbuild ML.

Yes, there was no reason to write such a question in private.

> > you are right, [3] fixes a problem that was introduced by [2].
> > (I should have noted that in the commit message -- I'm not sure if we
> > can fix that afterwards.)

No, it's been pushed to a public tree, it's too late.
It's even in Linus' tree, so it is really too late!

> thanks for the clarification and fixing this up.
> I told Yann in my private email to always add a reference to the
> "culprit" commit (root-cause).

Since I was not the author of that patch, I have no way to know if it is
"a fix for a previous commit", or "just a fix", if the original author
does not provide this information.

Except for the patches I write, I "just" collect (and test/review) the
patches to kconfig in my tree, to make it a bit easier for Michal. I
just pass the patches' commit logs as-is (or do trivial edits if
needed), so what gets in the tree is the responsibility of the author.
Hey, Dirk! ;-)

But on the principle, I do agree: if the patch fixes a regression
introduced by a previous changeset, it should be referenced in the
commit log of that new patch, indeed.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* Re: kconfig/menu.c: Fixup to "kconfig: fix undesirable side effect of adding "visible" menu attribute" ?
@ 2013-07-31 17:12       ` Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2013-07-31 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yann E. MORIN; +Cc: Dirk Gouders, Jan Beulich, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
> Sedat, Dirk, All,
>
> On 2013-07-31 16:22 +0200, Sedat Dilek spake thusly:

> Yes, there was no reason to write such a question in private.
>
>> > you are right, [3] fixes a problem that was introduced by [2].
>> > (I should have noted that in the commit message -- I'm not sure if we
>> > can fix that afterwards.)
>
> No, it's been pushed to a public tree, it's too late.
> It's even in Linus' tree, so it is really too late!
>
>> thanks for the clarification and fixing this up.
>> I told Yann in my private email to always add a reference to the
>> "culprit" commit (root-cause).
>
> Since I was not the author of that patch, I have no way to know if it is
> "a fix for a previous commit", or "just a fix", if the original author
> does not provide this information.
>
> Except for the patches I write, I "just" collect (and test/review) the
> patches to kconfig in my tree, to make it a bit easier for Michal. I
> just pass the patches' commit logs as-is (or do trivial edits if
> needed), so what gets in the tree is the responsibility of the author.
> Hey, Dirk! ;-)
>
> But on the principle, I do agree: if the patch fixes a regression
> introduced by a previous changeset, it should be referenced in the
> commit log of that new patch, indeed.

Next time we all do it better before!
If you fail, you'll get no chocolate,

Good news:
The Freetz router project accepted my kconfig-v3.11-rc3 version-bump
[1] and got rid of two patches.

Again, thanks to all involved people.

- Sedat -

[1] http://freetz.org/changeset/10915/trunk

@ 2013-08-01  6:21         ` Dirk Gouders
From: Dirk Gouders @ 2013-08-01  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sedat.dilek; +Cc: Yann E. MORIN, Jan Beulich, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild

Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
>> Sedat, Dirk, All,

>> Yes, there was no reason to write such a question in private.

>> No, it's been pushed to a public tree, it's too late.
>> It's even in Linus' tree, so it is really too late!
>>
>>> thanks for the clarification and fixing this up.
>>> I told Yann in my private email to always add a reference to the
>>> "culprit" commit (root-cause).
>>
>> Since I was not the author of that patch, I have no way to know if it is
>> "a fix for a previous commit", or "just a fix", if the original author
>> does not provide this information.
>>
>> Except for the patches I write, I "just" collect (and test/review) the
>> patches to kconfig in my tree, to make it a bit easier for Michal. I
>> just pass the patches' commit logs as-is (or do trivial edits if
>> needed), so what gets in the tree is the responsibility of the author.
>> Hey, Dirk! ;-)
>>
>> But on the principle, I do agree: if the patch fixes a regression
>> introduced by a previous changeset, it should be referenced in the
>> commit log of that new patch, indeed.
>>

> Next time we all do it better before!
> If you fail, you'll get no chocolate,
>
> Good news:
> The Freetz router project accepted my kconfig-v3.11-rc3 version-bump
> [1] and got rid of two patches.
>
> Again, thanks to all involved people.
>
> - Sedat -
>
> [1] http://freetz.org/changeset/10915/trunk

Hi Sedat,

I tried to see if I can find some more detail about the Freetz revert
patch [1] -- mainly, because I was wondering if the Freetz people hit
the same problem that [3] fixes.

Do you have detailed information about the origins of [1], maybe a
pointer to some discussion?  All that I could find so far is
http://freetz.org/ticket/1982#comment:7 but I have to confess that I
don't know the Project and it's documentation style very well.

Dirk

@ 2013-08-01  6:51           ` Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2013-08-01  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Gouders; +Cc: Yann E. MORIN, Jan Beulich, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Dirk Gouders <dirk@gouders.net> wrote:
> Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
>>> Sedat, Dirk, All,
>>>
>>> On 2013-07-31 16:22 +0200, Sedat Dilek spake thusly:

>>> Yes, there was no reason to write such a question in private.

>>> No, it's been pushed to a public tree, it's too late.
>>> It's even in Linus' tree, so it is really too late!

>>> Since I was not the author of that patch, I have no way to know if it is
>>> "a fix for a previous commit", or "just a fix", if the original author
>>> does not provide this information.
>>>
>>> Except for the patches I write, I "just" collect (and test/review) the
>>> patches to kconfig in my tree, to make it a bit easier for Michal. I
>>> just pass the patches' commit logs as-is (or do trivial edits if
>>> needed), so what gets in the tree is the responsibility of the author.
>>> Hey, Dirk! ;-)
>>>
>>> But on the principle, I do agree: if the patch fixes a regression
>>> introduced by a previous changeset, it should be referenced in the
>>> commit log of that new patch, indeed.
>>>

>> Next time we all do it better before!
>> If you fail, you'll get no chocolate,
>>
>> Good news:
>> The Freetz router project accepted my kconfig-v3.11-rc3 version-bump
>> [1] and got rid of two patches.
>>
>> Again, thanks to all involved people.
>>
>> - Sedat -
>>
>> [1] http://freetz.org/changeset/10915/trunk
>
> Hi Sedat,
>
> I tried to see if I can find some more detail about the Freetz revert
> patch [1] -- mainly, because I was wondering if the Freetz people hit
> the same problem that [3] fixes.
>
> Do you have detailed information about the origins of [1], maybe a
> pointer to some discussion?  All that I could find so far is
> http://freetz.org/ticket/1982#comment:7 but I have to confess that I
> don't know the Project and it's documentation style very well.

Short answer: kconfig v3.11-rc3 seems to fix it.
( Personally, I did not hit the issue. )

My personal conclusion: The Freetz developers simply don't like or
care about docs.

For example, I tried to establish a DEP-3 (Debian) based format for
all the (toolchain) patches...
But people cannot give you detailed infos, so how to fill in the infos?
I would have done the job - for no money.

Those people don't like to write detailed changelogs before pushing.

Some of those guys really think the development tree is OK for
breaking, to say there is no review-process.

Even years ago I had some discussion to switch from SVN to Git.
As they saw so many packages are maintained in Git repositories, now
it is realized.

I have so often asked for clarification/explanation.

"Successful projects have a good documentation!"

OMG, I remember words like "The Linux-kernel development with XX years
of experience... why not do things like...".
( /me searches for Aspirin, oxygene-mask, ... )

The Freetz router project is a small Linux embedded project.
With "their style" they won't attract and/or hold (new) developers.

If you like I can forward your question to the responsibles if you like?
I cannot promise you will get an answer.

- Sedat -

P.S.: Yes, I was a Freetz developer. Yes, I left the project.
Note2myself: Buy a new cheap router and switch to OpenWrt.

@ 2013-08-01  7:01             ` Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2013-08-01  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Gouders; +Cc: Yann E. MORIN, Jan Beulich, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Dirk Gouders <dirk@gouders.net> wrote:
>> Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Next time we all do it better before!
>>> If you fail, you'll get no chocolate,
>>>
>>> Good news:
>>> The Freetz router project accepted my kconfig-v3.11-rc3 version-bump
>>> [1] and got rid of two patches.
>>>
>>> Again, thanks to all involved people.
>>>
>>> - Sedat -
>>>
>>> [1] http://freetz.org/changeset/10915/trunk
>>
>> Hi Sedat,
>>
>> I tried to see if I can find some more detail about the Freetz revert
>> patch [1] -- mainly, because I was wondering if the Freetz people hit
>> the same problem that [3] fixes.
>>
>> Do you have detailed information about the origins of [1], maybe a
>> pointer to some discussion?  All that I could find so far is
>> http://freetz.org/ticket/1982#comment:7 but I have to confess that I
>> don't know the Project and it's documentation style very well.
>>

> Short answer: kconfig v3.11-rc3 seems to fix it.
> ( Personally, I did not hit the issue. )
>
> My personal conclusion: The Freetz developers simply don't like or
> care about docs.
>
> For example, I tried to establish a DEP-3 (Debian) based format for
> all the (toolchain) patches...
> But people cannot give you detailed infos, so how to fill in the infos?
> I would have done the job - for no money.
>
> Those people don't like to write detailed changelogs before pushing.
>
> Some of those guys really think the development tree is OK for
> breaking, to say there is no review-process.
>
> Even years ago I had some discussion to switch from SVN to Git.
> As they saw so many packages are maintained in Git repositories, now
> it is realized.
>
> I have so often asked for clarification/explanation.
>
> "Successful projects have a good documentation!"
>
> OMG, I remember words like "The Linux-kernel development with XX years
> of experience... why not do things like...".
> ( /me searches for Aspirin, oxygene-mask, ... )
>
> The Freetz router project is a small Linux embedded project.
> With "their style" they won't attract and/or hold (new) developers.
>
> If you like I can forward your question to the responsibles if you like?
> I cannot promise you will get an answer.
>
> - Sedat -
>
> P.S.: Yes, I was a Freetz developer. Yes, I left the project.
> Note2myself: Buy a new cheap router and switch to OpenWrt.

I forget to point to Peter Hutterer's nice blog-article "On commit messages".

I encourage all developers to read and (try to) follow (all) his advices.

- Sedat -

[1] http://who-t.blogspot.de/2009/12/on-commit-messages.html

@ 2013-08-01  7:17           ` Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2013-08-01  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Gouders; +Cc: Yann E. MORIN, Jan Beulich, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Dirk Gouders <dirk@gouders.net> wrote:
> Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998@free.fr> wrote:
>>> Sedat, Dirk, All,
>>>
>>> On 2013-07-31 16:22 +0200, Sedat Dilek spake thusly:

>>> Yes, there was no reason to write such a question in private.

>>> No, it's been pushed to a public tree, it's too late.
>>> It's even in Linus' tree, so it is really too late!

>>> Since I was not the author of that patch, I have no way to know if it is
>>> "a fix for a previous commit", or "just a fix", if the original author
>>> does not provide this information.
>>>
>>> Except for the patches I write, I "just" collect (and test/review) the
>>> patches to kconfig in my tree, to make it a bit easier for Michal. I
>>> just pass the patches' commit logs as-is (or do trivial edits if
>>> needed), so what gets in the tree is the responsibility of the author.
>>> Hey, Dirk! ;-)
>>>
>>> But on the principle, I do agree: if the patch fixes a regression
>>> introduced by a previous changeset, it should be referenced in the
>>> commit log of that new patch, indeed.
>>>

>> Next time we all do it better before!
>> If you fail, you'll get no chocolate,
>>
>> Good news:
>> The Freetz router project accepted my kconfig-v3.11-rc3 version-bump
>> [1] and got rid of two patches.
>>
>> Again, thanks to all involved people.
>>
>> - Sedat -
>>
>> [1] http://freetz.org/changeset/10915/trunk
>
> Hi Sedat,
>
> I tried to see if I can find some more detail about the Freetz revert
> patch [1] -- mainly, because I was wondering if the Freetz people hit
> the same problem that [3] fixes.
>
> Do you have detailed information about the origins of [1], maybe a
> pointer to some discussion?  All that I could find so far is
> http://freetz.org/ticket/1982#comment:7 but I have to confess that I
> don't know the Project and it's documentation style very well.

Hi Dirk,

I have put a comment into Freetz ticket #1982.

Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] http://freetz.org/ticket/1982#comment:36

@ 2013-08-02  6:11             ` Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2013-08-02  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Gouders; +Cc: Yann E. MORIN, Jan Beulich, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Dirk Gouders <dirk@gouders.net> wrote:
>> Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Next time we all do it better before!
>>> If you fail, you'll get no chocolate,
>>>
>>> Good news:
>>> The Freetz router project accepted my kconfig-v3.11-rc3 version-bump
>>> [1] and got rid of two patches.
>>>
>>> Again, thanks to all involved people.
>>>
>>> - Sedat -
>>>
>>> [1] http://freetz.org/changeset/10915/trunk
>>
>> Hi Sedat,
>>
>> I tried to see if I can find some more detail about the Freetz revert
>> patch [1] -- mainly, because I was wondering if the Freetz people hit
>> the same problem that [3] fixes.
>>
>> Do you have detailed information about the origins of [1], maybe a
>> pointer to some discussion?  All that I could find so far is
>> http://freetz.org/ticket/1982#comment:7 but I have to confess that I
>> don't know the Project and it's documentation style very well.
>>

> Hi Dirk,
>
> I have put a comment into Freetz ticket #1982.

Hi Dirk,

there seems to be still an issue with Jan's original patch.
Mostly, Freetz developers test in "expert-mode", but "beginners" and
"advanced" see [1].
The known as 370 patch was re-added in [2].

Sorry, even it's in German, I did not understand the explanation of
cuma in [3], did you (use a translator)?

This issue should be tracked.
I am willing to help.

Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] http://freetz.org/ticket/2154#comment:7
[2] http://freetz.org/changeset/10926
[3] http://freetz.org/ticket/1982#comment:37

@ 2013-08-02  8:59               ` Dirk Gouders
From: Dirk Gouders @ 2013-08-02  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sedat.dilek; +Cc: Yann E. MORIN, Jan Beulich, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild

Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Sedat,
>>>
>>> I tried to see if I can find some more detail about the Freetz revert
>>> patch [1] -- mainly, because I was wondering if the Freetz people hit
>>> the same problem that [3] fixes.
>>>
>>> Do you have detailed information about the origins of [1], maybe a
>>> pointer to some discussion?  All that I could find so far is
>>> http://freetz.org/ticket/1982#comment:7 but I have to confess that I
>>> don't know the Project and it's documentation style very well.
>>>

>> Hi Dirk,
>>
>> I have put a comment into Freetz ticket #1982.
>>

> Hi Dirk,
>
> there seems to be still an issue with Jan's original patch.
> Mostly, Freetz developers test in "expert-mode", but "beginners" and
> "advanced" see [1].
> The known as 370 patch was re-added in [2].

Hi Sedat,

I don't know about those modes but the reason for my original question
was that my commit fixes a problem that appeares in rather uncommon
cases of Kconfig files (I constructed such a case myself) and I was
wondering if (and then why/how) the Freetz project constructed such a
case.

> Sorry, even it's in German, I did not understand the explanation of
> cuma in [3], did you (use a translator)?

I am German and understand the language without any translator ;-)

I am not sure if I interpreted everything correctly, but I read the
comments stating the Freetz project is having two problems when Jan's
original patch isn't reverted:

1) They get an error message
   "make/libs/libstdcxx/libstdc++.mk:1: *** Undefined version for PKG_INIT in make/libs/libstdcxx/libstdc++.mk."
   and state that it disappears when Jan's Patch is reverted.  They call
   that message a side-effect.

2) cuma says that they select symbols that are invisible to the user
   and those symbols get not saved to file with Jan's patch active.

   (Actually, he uses the term "things" and not symbols and says "it
    doesn't help if those aren't saved")

Well, I don't know why the Freetz people prefer to simply revert a patch
instead of trying to investigate the problem in more detail and give
valuable feedback to us but it seems as if my commit has nothing to do
with the problems the Freetz project is having when not reverting Jan's
patch.

> This issue should be tracked.
> I am willing to help.

One non-technical remark: I am quite unconfortable with the way I got
drawn into the "discussion" on freetz.org -- especially, because I
prefer to maintain a respectful discussion style that is focussed on
technical problems.  (Probably, I sometimes appear to break my own rule
but hopefully others notice that English isn't my mother tongue and am
just incorrectly using a foreign language.)

My feeling is that besides a technical problem with a patch there is
an unresolved conflict that I have nothing to do with and don't want to
be drawn into.

Best regards,

Dirk

@ 2013-08-02 16:10                 ` Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2013-08-02 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Gouders; +Cc: Yann E. MORIN, Jan Beulich, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Dirk Gouders <dirk@gouders.net> wrote:
> Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Hi Dirk,
>>>
>>> I have put a comment into Freetz ticket #1982.
>>>

>> Hi Dirk,
>>
>> there seems to be still an issue with Jan's original patch.
>> Mostly, Freetz developers test in "expert-mode", but "beginners" and
>> "advanced" see [1].
>> The known as 370 patch was re-added in [2].
>
> Hi Sedat,
>
> I don't know about those modes but the reason for my original question
> was that my commit fixes a problem that appeares in rather uncommon
> cases of Kconfig files (I constructed such a case myself) and I was
> wondering if (and then why/how) the Freetz project constructed such a
> case.
>
>> Sorry, even it's in German, I did not understand the explanation of
>> cuma in [3], did you (use a translator)?
>
> I am German and understand the language without any translator ;-)
>
> I am not sure if I interpreted everything correctly, but I read the
> comments stating the Freetz project is having two problems when Jan's
> original patch isn't reverted:
>
> 1) They get an error message
>    "make/libs/libstdcxx/libstdc++.mk:1: *** Undefined version for PKG_INIT in make/libs/libstdcxx/libstdc++.mk."
>    and state that it disappears when Jan's Patch is reverted.  They call
>    that message a side-effect.
>
> 2) cuma says that they select symbols that are invisible to the user
>    and those symbols get not saved to file with Jan's patch active.
>
>    (Actually, he uses the term "things" and not symbols and says "it
>     doesn't help if those aren't saved")
>
> Well, I don't know why the Freetz people prefer to simply revert a patch
> instead of trying to investigate the problem in more detail and give
> valuable feedback to us but it seems as if my commit has nothing to do
> with the problems the Freetz project is having when not reverting Jan's
> patch.
>
>> This issue should be tracked.
>> I am willing to help.
>
> One non-technical remark: I am quite unconfortable with the way I got
> drawn into the "discussion" on freetz.org -- especially, because I
> prefer to maintain a respectful discussion style that is focussed on
> technical problems.  (Probably, I sometimes appear to break my own rule
> but hopefully others notice that English isn't my mother tongue and am
> just incorrectly using a foreign language.)
>
> My feeling is that besides a technical problem with a patch there is
> an unresolved conflict that I have nothing to do with and don't want to
> be drawn into.

Hallo Dirk,

Short: Best do the discussion here, not in the Freetz BTS.

I am interested in upstream work means report problems and follow a
discussion/bug-report and hopefully see a patch.
( One of the reason why I left the project - saying and doing should
not differ. )

As you say it's not really clear why Freetz needs this revert - not only to you.

I am not sure if this is a issue in the Kconfig-system or a special
problem in the Freetz-buildsystem (origin was buildroot).
For example, Freetz generates and uses caches (see Config.cache).
Someone can speculate about Kconfig-logic problems, too?!
One area seems to be the user-experience-level Kconfig-option (see [1]).
If you ask me, there are no 3 user-experience-levels needed.
For example: OpenWrt uses only "config XXX if DEVEL".
This is IMHO a useless complexity.
People know or don't know what they do, especially in the Linux embedded world.
( I have not tried to simplify the user-experience-level and see. )

A test-case would be helpful :-)!

Is it OK for you if you checkout freetz-devel...

    $ git clone https://github.com/olistudent/freetz.git

...and disable 370 patch?
It really has side-effects.
I tested an earlier freetz-devel version with kconfig-v3.8: If you
disable this patch you get immediately an error-message.

The Freetz community (especially some developers) is rude... paired
with ignorance and/or incompetence...
Always, I have "abdominal pain" to reference it.
But look at the discussion on LKML started from Sarah (xHCI developer)
about "rude bad evil Linus".

As I have spent some hours on the issue... I am interested in seeing
if it is a Freetz problem or an upstream one.
If it is a upstream issue I am willing to help.

BTW, all my patches have a detailed changelog.
I cannot be blamed if a project or certain developers do not document.
As said I am no more a Freetz developer.

I am really sorry for having not better tested kconfig-v3.11-rc3 even
after your 1st confirmation.
I waited for this confirmation and ***then*** sent my kconfig-update
patch to Freetz.
Not blaming you... I am interested in understanding the real facts and helping.

Have more fun!

- Sedat -

[1] http://freetz.org/browser/trunk/Config.in#L8

@ 2013-08-02 16:48                   ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2013-08-02 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sedat Dilek; +Cc: Dirk Gouders, Jan Beulich, Michal Marek, linux-kbuild

On 2013-08-02 18:10 +0200, Sedat Dilek spake thusly:
> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:59 AM, Dirk Gouders <dirk@gouders.net> wrote:
> > One non-technical remark: I am quite unconfortable with the way I got
> > drawn into the "discussion" on freetz.org -- especially, because I
> > prefer to maintain a respectful discussion style that is focussed on
> > technical problems.  (Probably, I sometimes appear to break my own rule
> > but hopefully others notice that English isn't my mother tongue and am
> > just incorrectly using a foreign language.)
> >
> > My feeling is that besides a technical problem with a patch there is
> > an unresolved conflict that I have nothing to do with and don't want to
> > be drawn into.

Agreed. If the Freetx community is not willing to explain their issue
with a meaningful explanation, there is no reason we continue this
thread here.

I have to side with Dirk on this. I am willing to help solve kconfig
issues as a global betterment of the situation (he! problems in
third-party projects may well be applicable to the kernel too).

> Short: Best do the discussion here, not in the Freetz BTS.

No, we can not discuss it here anymore (IMHO) since the Freetz community
is not willing to help. It's now their problem, until they come up with
a complete and clear explanation, that has to be way better than "it is
broken".

So, I suggest we close this thread for now. At least, I will not
participate further into this.

Thank you! :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.