* HTC Hero cannot get an address from an ath5k AP
@ 2009-11-22 12:28 Simon Farnsworth
From: Simon Farnsworth @ 2009-11-22 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hello,

I've recently acquired a HTC Hero, and thought I'd try and use it with my
ath5k based AP. It doesn't work, and I'm at a loss to debug it.

The only hint I have is that neither of my (Linux-based) laptops can hold
association to the AP without traffic flowing continuously, which leads me
to suspect power saving issues.

My hostapd configuration file is attached; I've checked that I've used the
correct WEP key. I can provide any more information that's needed. My
controller appears in lspci as:

02:04.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc.
AR5212/AR5213 Multiprotocol MAC/baseband processor [168c:0013] (rev 01)

and in dmesg as:

[572338.589520] ath5k phy0: Atheros AR5414 chip found (MAC: 0xa5, PHY: 0x61)

I have:

CONFIG_ATH_COMMON=m
CONFIG_ATH_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_ATH5K=m
CONFIG_ATH5K_DEBUG=y

set in my .config, and have debugfs available.
--
Any help will be gratefully received,

Simon Farnsworth

* Re: HTC Hero cannot get an address from an ath5k AP
@ 2009-11-23 19:36 ` Simon Farnsworth
From: Simon Farnsworth @ 2009-11-23 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

On Sunday 22 November 2009 12:28, Simon Farnsworth wrote:

> My hostapd configuration file is attached; I've checked that I've used the
> correct WEP key. I can provide any more information that's needed. My
> controller appears in lspci as:

Just realised that I forgot the most important information:

My kernel is wireless-testing git master as of commit
fe1bafb0a2e95c9379df62e6ccc80713096c283c

My hostapd is git master as of commit
224f7bda793010087833899a5b203ac80a05b208

--
Simon

* Re: HTC Hero cannot get an address from an ath5k AP
@ 2009-11-24 15:13   ` Bob Copeland
From: Bob Copeland @ 2009-11-24 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Farnsworth
  Cc: linux-wireless, ath5k-devel, Luis R. Rodriguez, Nick Kossifidis

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Simon Farnsworth <simon@farnz.org.uk> wrote:
> On Sunday 22 November 2009 12:28, Simon Farnsworth wrote:
>
>> My hostapd configuration file is attached; I've checked that I've used the
>> correct WEP key. I can provide any more information that's needed. My
>> controller appears in lspci as:

Hi Simon,

I am sure this is an issue with power saving -- this patch may help
somewhat, but the last time I looked at it, there were still some
additional issues:

http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/56785/

Also I never did get beacon gating to work wrt the discussion
around the patch.

Unfortunately I'm completely slammed for the next 3-4 weeks until this
semester ends, so unable to do any wireless work.  Would anyone else
care to take a shot at narrowing this down?

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com