* [RFC] Removal of e2fsprogs-libs
@ 2010-03-23 18:01 Marcin Juszkiewicz
From: Marcin Juszkiewicz @ 2010-03-23 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

During last days I spent a bit of time on e2fsprogs* and util-linux-ng
recipes. They are cleaner now but there is still some work to do.

We have many recipes which depends on 'e2fsprogs-libs' when they want
'libblkid' or 'libuuid' which are provided by 'e2fsprogs-libs' and
'util-linux-ng' recipes. I checked how Debian solves that and got into point
where there is no 'e2fsprogs-libs' recipes in my tree and everything is
building.

What needs to be changed?

1. git rm -r recipes/e2fsprogs-libs
2. check each recipe which depends on 'e2fsprogs-libs' which library it really
   wants
3. change each recipe which wants 'libblkid' or 'libuuid' to depend on
   'util-linux-ng'
4. change each recipe which wants 'libcom_err' or 'libss' to depend on
   'e2fsprogs'
5. add "--with-elf-shlibs" to 'e2fsprogs' to get 'libcom_err' and 'libss'
6. fix packaging of 'e2fsprogs' to get separate packages for libraries.

I can work on that in next days but want to inform everyone that such change
will be done.

JID:      hrw@jabber.org
Website:  http://marcin.juszkiewicz.com.pl/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcinjuszkiewicz

* Re: [RFC] Removal of e2fsprogs-libs
@ 2010-03-23 18:36 ` Graeme Gregory
From: Graeme Gregory @ 2010-03-23 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 07:01:23PM +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:

> During last days I spent a bit of time on e2fsprogs* and util-linux-ng
> recipes. They are cleaner now but there is still some work to do.
>
> We have many recipes which depends on 'e2fsprogs-libs' when they want
> 'libblkid' or 'libuuid' which are provided by 'e2fsprogs-libs' and
> 'util-linux-ng' recipes. I checked how Debian solves that and got into point
> where there is no 'e2fsprogs-libs' recipes in my tree and everything is
> building.
>
> What needs to be changed?
>
> 1. git rm -r recipes/e2fsprogs-libs
> 2. check each recipe which depends on 'e2fsprogs-libs' which library it really
>    wants
> 3. change each recipe which wants 'libblkid' or 'libuuid' to depend on
>    'util-linux-ng'
> 4. change each recipe which wants 'libcom_err' or 'libss' to depend on
>    'e2fsprogs'
> 5. add "--with-elf-shlibs" to 'e2fsprogs' to get 'libcom_err' and 'libss'
> 6. fix packaging of 'e2fsprogs' to get separate packages for libraries.
>
> I can work on that in next days but want to inform everyone that such change
> will be done.

Hrw thanks for cleaning this up, feel free to add my ack to your completed
worked.

Graeme

* Re: [RFC] Removal of e2fsprogs-libs
@ 2010-03-23 19:41   ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2010-03-23 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: [RFC] Removal of e2fsprogs-libs
@ 2010-03-24  7:32   ` Frans Meulenbroeks
From: Frans Meulenbroeks @ 2010-03-24  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

2010/3/23 Graeme Gregory <dp@xora.org.uk>:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 07:01:23PM +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
>>
>> During last days I spent a bit of time on e2fsprogs* and util-linux-ng
>> recipes. They are cleaner now but there is still some work to do.
>>
>> We have many recipes which depends on 'e2fsprogs-libs' when they want
>> 'libblkid' or 'libuuid' which are provided by 'e2fsprogs-libs' and
>> 'util-linux-ng' recipes. I checked how Debian solves that and got into point
>> where there is no 'e2fsprogs-libs' recipes in my tree and everything is
>> building.
>>
>> What needs to be changed?
>>
>> 1. git rm -r recipes/e2fsprogs-libs
>> 2. check each recipe which depends on 'e2fsprogs-libs' which library it really
>>    wants
>> 3. change each recipe which wants 'libblkid' or 'libuuid' to depend on
>>    'util-linux-ng'
>> 4. change each recipe which wants 'libcom_err' or 'libss' to depend on
>>    'e2fsprogs'
>> 5. add "--with-elf-shlibs" to 'e2fsprogs' to get 'libcom_err' and 'libss'
>> 6. fix packaging of 'e2fsprogs' to get separate packages for libraries.
>>
>> I can work on that in next days but want to inform everyone that such change
>> will be done.
>>
> Hrw thanks for cleaning this up, feel free to add my ack to your completed
> worked.

Although I highly welcome the cleanup proposed by Marcin, I feel it is
not proper to submit an ack for patches that are not submitted as
such.
Acked-by indicates approval, and I find it somewhat fishy to approve a
patch that you haven't seen yet.
(without wanting to question the value or quality of Marcin's work, as
that will undoubtly be ok).

Frans

* Re: [RFC] Removal of e2fsprogs-libs
@ 2010-03-24 16:35     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2010-03-24 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On (24/03/10 08:32), Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> 2010/3/23 Graeme Gregory <dp@xora.org.uk>:
> > On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 07:01:23PM +0100, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> >>
> >> During last days I spent a bit of time on e2fsprogs* and util-linux-ng
> >> recipes. They are cleaner now but there is still some work to do.
> >>
> >> We have many recipes which depends on 'e2fsprogs-libs' when they want
> >> 'libblkid' or 'libuuid' which are provided by 'e2fsprogs-libs' and
> >> 'util-linux-ng' recipes. I checked how Debian solves that and got into point
> >> where there is no 'e2fsprogs-libs' recipes in my tree and everything is
> >> building.
> >>
> >> What needs to be changed?
> >>
> >> 1. git rm -r recipes/e2fsprogs-libs
> >> 2. check each recipe which depends on 'e2fsprogs-libs' which library it really
> >>    wants
> >> 3. change each recipe which wants 'libblkid' or 'libuuid' to depend on
> >>    'util-linux-ng'
> >> 4. change each recipe which wants 'libcom_err' or 'libss' to depend on
> >>    'e2fsprogs'
> >> 5. add "--with-elf-shlibs" to 'e2fsprogs' to get 'libcom_err' and 'libss'
> >> 6. fix packaging of 'e2fsprogs' to get separate packages for libraries.
> >>
> >> I can work on that in next days but want to inform everyone that such change
> >> will be done.
> >>
> > Hrw thanks for cleaning this up, feel free to add my ack to your completed
> > worked.
>
> Although I highly welcome the cleanup proposed by Marcin, I feel it is
> not proper to submit an ack for patches that are not submitted as
> such.
> Acked-by indicates approval, and I find it somewhat fishy to approve a
> patch that you haven't seen yet.
> (without wanting to question the value or quality of Marcin's work, as
> that will undoubtly be ok).

RFC is request for comment. He is putting forth an idea and wants to know
if its worth. IMO there is nothing wrong in acking the proposal. When the
real code comes around then it can be reviewed for what it does.

Thx
-Khem