* hugetlbfs and KSM
@ 2010-04-08 19:29 Bernhard Schmidt
From: Bernhard Schmidt @ 2010-04-08 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hi,

running Debian Squeeze with a 2.6.32-3-amd64 kernel and qemu-kvm 0.12.3
I enabled hugetlbfs on a rather small box with about five similar VMs
today (all Debian Squeeze amd64, but different services)

Pro:
* system load on the host has gone way down (by about 50%)

Contra:
* KSM seems to be largely ineffective (100MB saved -> 1.3MB saved)

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug? Is this generally impossible
with large pages (which might explain the lower load on the host, if
large pages are not scanned)? Or is it just way less likely to have
identical pages at that size?

Bernhard

* Re: hugetlbfs and KSM
@ 2010-04-09 20:03 ` Chris Wright
From: Chris Wright @ 2010-04-09 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernhard Schmidt; +Cc: kvm

* Bernhard Schmidt (berni@birkenwald.de) wrote:
> * KSM seems to be largely ineffective (100MB saved -> 1.3MB saved)
>
> Am I doing something wrong? Is this a bug? Is this generally impossible
> with large pages (which might explain the lower load on the host, if
> large pages are not scanned)? Or is it just way less likely to have
> identical pages at that size?

KSM only scans and merges 4k pages.

* Re: hugetlbfs and KSM
       [not found] <579435996.2170.1270755367936.JavaMail.root@mail1.martinsales.net>
@ 2010-04-08 19:36 ` David Martin
From: David Martin @ 2010-04-08 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm; +Cc: berni

I asked this question quite a while ago, it seems huge pages do not get scanned for merging.

David Martin