* dm365 and OE
@ 2010-04-26 10:40 Raffaele Recalcati
From: Raffaele Recalcati @ 2010-04-26 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

I'm a little bit confused about the good direction for developing for dm365.
Arago overlay seems nice, it works, but uses also arago-oe-dev, that is a
git tree separated from OE (kept merged sometimes), and Code Sourcery
toolchain.
In OE instead I see many codecs inside recipes/ti directory, but I don't
know their status.
Anyone can point me to the right direction?

arago + cs
OE + cs
OE + its builtin toolchain

Than for any help,
Recalcati

* Re: dm365 and OE
@ 2010-04-26 11:22 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2010-04-26 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: dm365 and OE
@ 2010-04-26 17:44 ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2010-04-26 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: arago-devel

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:40:17PM +0200, Raffaele Recalcati wrote:
> I'm a little bit confused about the good direction for developing for dm365.
> Arago overlay seems nice, it works, but uses also arago-oe-dev, that is a

arago-oe-dev is a snapshot of OE's org.openembedded.dev and updated quite
often - usually no more than few days behind. The time buffer is to ensure
everything builds in Arago and nothing is broken (the recent example would
be the base class broken for couple days in OE).

> git tree separated from OE (kept merged sometimes), and Code Sourcery
> toolchain.
> In OE instead I see many codecs inside recipes/ti directory, but I don't
> know their status.

Currently, recipes/ti directory is the same between Arago and OE, so it
doesn't matter much which one you use.

> Anyone can point me to the right direction?
>
> arago + cs

Unlike Koen, I suggest the first option - arago+cs :)

> OE + cs
> OE + its builtin toolchain

So, it's up to you what to use...

Arago is meant to be very close to Angstrom (we try to keep them in sync),
but limited to TI platforms (Angstrom supports more). Arago is used as a
stabilization vehicle for official TI products. While Angstrom is a purely
community distro, Arago is bound by some legal limitations/requirements and
can be thought of as a corporate/enterprise distro (OE has ENTERPRISE_DISTRO
for things like this). All the applicable fixes and modifications in Arago are
pushed back to OE/Angstrom, plus Arago itself is in the public git.

Koen is the maintainer for Angstrom, I'm the maintainer for Arago. Both of us
are employed by TI and both of us are also OpenEmbedded developers.

Hope this makes it more clear for you.

--
Denys

* Re: [arago-devel] dm365 and OE
@ 2010-04-27  1:48   ` Raffaele Recalcati
From: Raffaele Recalcati @ 2010-04-27  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arago-devel; +Cc: openembedded-devel

2010/4/26 Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org>

> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 12:40:17PM +0200, Raffaele Recalcati wrote:
> > I'm a little bit confused about the good direction for developing for
> dm365.
> > Arago overlay seems nice, it works, but uses also arago-oe-dev, that is a
>
> arago-oe-dev is a snapshot of OE's org.openembedded.dev and updated quite
> often - usually no more than few days behind. The time buffer is to ensure
> everything builds in Arago and nothing is broken (the recent example would
> be the base class broken for couple days in OE).

ok

> > git tree separated from OE (kept merged sometimes), and Code Sourcery
> > toolchain.
> > In OE instead I see many codecs inside recipes/ti directory, but I don't
> > know their status.
>
> Currently, recipes/ti directory is the same between Arago and OE, so it
> doesn't matter much which one you use.

good

> > Anyone can point me to the right direction?
> >
> > arago + cs
>
> Unlike Koen, I suggest the first option - arago+cs :)

The real difference is the toolchain.

> > OE + cs
> > OE + its builtin toolchain
>
> So, it's up to you what to use...

Yes, I have to choose.

> Arago is meant to be very close to Angstrom (we try to keep them in sync),
> but limited to TI platforms (Angstrom supports more). Arago is used as a
> stabilization vehicle for official TI products. While Angstrom is a purely
> community distro, Arago is bound by some legal limitations/requirements and
> can be thought of as a corporate/enterprise distro (OE has
> ENTERPRISE_DISTRO
> for things like this). All the applicable fixes and modifications in Arago
> are
> pushed back to OE/Angstrom, plus Arago itself is in the public git.

I'll check "legal limitations/requirements" .
Also I have to check if packages PREFERRED_VERSION are good for my purposes.

> Koen is the maintainer for Angstrom, I'm the maintainer for Arago. Both of
> us
> are employed by TI and both of us are also OpenEmbedded developers.
>
> Hope this makes it more clear for you.

Yes.
I'll try to go on with both for some weeks.
But, first of all, I need a dvsdk running on dm365 with Arago.
By now, I can't build any ti recipe for dm365 in Arago (arago-next).
I could build dvsdk externally following the readme, but I think it is
better to re-use you work.
Which are the recipes that I can build for dm365?
In case of problem I, and my team, will contribute to the work.

For Koen:
Instead, for OE environment, I have some problems creating the setup.
I supposed to use dev branch (openembedded.org setup instructions) and I'd
like a local.conf file in order to know which angstrom version is better to
choose.

Raffaele

* Re: [arago-devel] dm365 and OE
@ 2010-04-27  2:57     ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2010-04-27  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: arago-devel

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 03:48:17AM +0200, Raffaele Recalcati wrote:
> I'll try to go on with both for some weeks.
> But, first of all, I need a dvsdk running on dm365 with Arago.
> By now, I can't build any ti recipe for dm365 in Arago (arago-next).
> I could build dvsdk externally following the readme, but I think it is
> better to re-use you work.
> Which are the recipes that I can build for dm365?

arago-next was merged back to the master branch recently, but it shouldn't
matter, as DVSDK was buildable before the merge. If you are referring to the
fact that some components are not fetchable and need to be downloaded
manually, it's still the case for a few of them, as explained in the README.
AFAIK, codecs for some platforms were not public at the time, I believe dm365
being one of them. I'll ping some people internally and see if/when this will
be fixed.

> In case of problem I, and my team, will contribute to the work.

Thanks. Please keep us posted.

--
Denys

* Re: [arago-devel] dm365 and OE
@ 2010-04-27  6:42     ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2010-04-27  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: [arago-devel] dm365 and OE
@ 2010-05-06  6:10       ` Raffaele Recalcati
From: Raffaele Recalcati @ 2010-05-06  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arago-devel; +Cc: openembedded-devel

2010/4/27 Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org>

> arago-next was merged back to the master branch recently, but it shouldn't
> matter, as DVSDK was buildable before the merge. If you are referring to
> the
> fact that some components are not fetchable and need to be downloaded
> manually, it's still the case for a few of them, as explained in the
> README.
> AFAIK, codecs for some platforms were not public at the time, I believe
> dm365
> being one of them. I'll ping some people internally and see if/when this
> will
> be fixed.

The ping is going on?

I have unzipped the dvsdk and tried to associate it to arago/OE recipes, but
what is the corrispondence?

Doing an 'ls -1' in my dvsdk dir I obtain:
bin
bios_5_41_00_06
biosutils_1_02_02
codec_engine_2_25_01_06
dm365_codecs_01_00_06
dm365mm_01_00_03
dmai_2_10_00_06
docs
dsplink_linux_1_64
DVSDK_3_10_00_12_release_notes.html
dvsdk_demos_3_10_00_10
dvtb_4_20_02
edma3_lld_01_11_00_03
examples
framework_components_2_25_01_05
linux_dvsdk_3_10_beta_manifest.pdf
linuxutils_2_25_01_06
Makefile
mapdmaq
mapdmaq-hd
Rules.make
uninstall
xdais_6_25_01_08
xdctools_3_16_01_27

I guess that each directory has to become a tgz in this dir and from
localhost I need to reach it (using a link from /var/www to this dir):

But:

arago/recipes/ti/ti-codecs-dm365_3.10.00.02.bb
uses

PV = "03_10_00_02"
BASE_SRC_URI = "http://install.source.dir.local"
SRC_URI = "${BASE_SRC_URI}/dm365_codecs_${PV}.tar.gz;name=dm365codecs \
           file://mapdmaq"

but in my dvsdk I have
dm365_codecs_01_00_06
and so ${PV} seems wrong.

 ${PV} is similar, but not equal, to dvsdk version, 3_10_00_02 versus
3_10_00_12.

----------------
ti-dmai points to svn, instead in dvsdk I have dmai_2_10_00_06 .
-----------------

I could rebuild from dvsdk 3_10_00_12 sources using arago or not, but,
first, I'd like some check if it is the good starting point.

Thanks,
Raffaele

* Re: [arago-devel] dm365 and OE
@ 2010-05-20  3:11         ` Denys Dmytriyenko
From: Denys Dmytriyenko @ 2010-05-20  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arago-devel; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 08:10:42AM +0200, Raffaele Recalcati wrote:
> 2010/4/27 Denys Dmytriyenko <denis@denix.org>
>

> > arago-next was merged back to the master branch recently, but it shouldn't
> > matter, as DVSDK was buildable before the merge. If you are referring to
> > the
> > fact that some components are not fetchable and need to be downloaded
> > manually, it's still the case for a few of them, as explained in the
> > README.
> > AFAIK, codecs for some platforms were not public at the time, I believe
> > dm365
> > being one of them. I'll ping some people internally and see if/when this
> > will
> > be fixed.
> >

> The ping is going on?
>
> I have unzipped the dvsdk and tried to associate it to arago/OE recipes, but
> what is the corrispondence?
>
> Doing an 'ls -1' in my dvsdk dir I obtain:
> bin
> bios_5_41_00_06
> biosutils_1_02_02
> codec_engine_2_25_01_06
> dm365_codecs_01_00_06
> dm365mm_01_00_03
> dmai_2_10_00_06
> docs
> dsplink_linux_1_64
> DVSDK_3_10_00_12_release_notes.html
> dvsdk_demos_3_10_00_10
> dvtb_4_20_02
> edma3_lld_01_11_00_03
> examples
> framework_components_2_25_01_05
> linux_dvsdk_3_10_beta_manifest.pdf
> linuxutils_2_25_01_06
> Makefile
> mapdmaq
> mapdmaq-hd
> Rules.make
> uninstall
> xdais_6_25_01_08
> xdctools_3_16_01_27
>
> I guess that each directory has to become a tgz in this dir and from
> localhost I need to reach it (using a link from /var/www to this dir):
>
> But:
>
> arago/recipes/ti/ti-codecs-dm365_3.10.00.02.bb
> uses
>
> PV = "03_10_00_02"
> BASE_SRC_URI = "http://install.source.dir.local"
> SRC_URI = "${BASE_SRC_URI}/dm365_codecs_${PV}.tar.gz;name=dm365codecs \
>            file://mapdmaq"
>
> but in my dvsdk I have
> dm365_codecs_01_00_06
> and so ${PV} seems wrong.
>
>  ${PV} is similar, but not equal, to dvsdk version, 3_10_00_02 versus
> 3_10_00_12.
>
> ----------------
> ti-dmai points to svn, instead in dvsdk I have dmai_2_10_00_06 .
> -----------------
>
> I could rebuild from dvsdk 3_10_00_12 sources using arago or not, but,
> first, I'd like some check if it is the good starting point.

Sorry for the mess - this is still not resolved the way we had hoped. While
the combined DVSDK is now available in beta, some of the individual
components, like codecs, are still not available for download separately.
Looks like we may need to write a recipe to extract necessary pieces from
DVSDK release... Please be patient, hopefully we'll have the solution soon.

--
Denys

* Re: [arago-devel] dm365 and OE
@ 2010-05-20 18:55           ` Raffaele Recalcati
From: Raffaele Recalcati @ 2010-05-20 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arago-devel; +Cc: openembedded-devel

> Sorry for the mess - this is still not resolved the way we had hoped. While
> the combined DVSDK is now available in beta, some of the individual
> components, like codecs, are still not available for download separately.
> Looks like we may need to write a recipe to extract necessary pieces from
> DVSDK release... Please be patient, hopefully we'll have the solution soon.

Ok,
I know you are mantaining many cpus.
My real problem in this moments is to be sure that your DVSDK recipe will be
tested, for dm365, against 2.6.34-rc7 or later Kevin Hilman git tree.
I really prefer not to go back to 2.6.31+2.6.32 arago kernel...
Can I focus to 2.6.34 development and have an approximative idea
(june,july,august,september,october, ...) in which I'll have a release DVSDK
?
The important point is anyway not to develop the kernel twice.

Thank you very much for your help,
Raffaele