* [RFC] using kernel.bbclass rename hook for external modules as well
@ 2010-10-22 14:56 Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2010-10-22 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: [RFC] using kernel.bbclass rename hook for external modules as well
@ 2010-10-22 17:06 ` Chris Larson
From: Chris Larson @ 2010-10-22 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi@student.utwente.nl>wrote:

> Currently kernel.bbclass splits and renames modules into
> kernel-module-<foo>, but module.bbclass doesn't. What's your opinion on
> making modules.bbclass follow the same logic for consistency?
> To make upgrade paths work the 'kernel-modules' metapackage would be
> ${PN} for external modules.

This sounds like a very good idea to me, it would make the package list much
more consistent and improve the user experience, imo.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com

* Re: [RFC] using kernel.bbclass rename hook for external modules as well
@ 2010-10-22 20:44   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2010-10-22 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Chris Larson <clarson@kergoth.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Koen Kooi <k.kooi@student.utwente.nl>wrote:
>
>> Currently kernel.bbclass splits and renames modules into
>> kernel-module-<foo>, but module.bbclass doesn't. What's your opinion on
>> making modules.bbclass follow the same logic for consistency?
>> To make upgrade paths work the 'kernel-modules' metapackage would be
>> ${PN} for external modules.
>>

> This sounds like a very good idea to me, it would make the package list much
> more consistent and improve the user experience, imo.

yes I agree fully. Will there be issues with upgrades ?

@ 2010-10-23  7:46 ` Frans Meulenbroeks
From: Frans Meulenbroeks @ 2010-10-23  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

2010/10/22 Koen Kooi <k.kooi@student.utwente.nl>:

> Hi,
>
> Currently kernel.bbclass splits and renames modules into
> kernel-module-<foo>, but module.bbclass doesn't. What's your opinion on
> making modules.bbclass follow the same logic for consistency?
> To make upgrade paths work the 'kernel-modules' metapackage would be
> ${PN} for external modules.

The idea looks good to be, but can you explain the last sentence?
I would expect the recipes that use these modules get changed too and
with a PR bump they will drag in the new module with the new name, and
not too much additional work needed.
What I am missing?

BTW did a quick grep for "inherit module" (which also matches
module-base), matches 90 recipes (some of which are probably (nearly)
outdated as they are mainline; eg. pvrusb2)
And of course there are some recipes with older versions that are
probably not too interesting to keep)

Frans

* Re: [RFC] using kernel.bbclass rename hook for external modules as well
@ 2010-10-23  8:28     ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2010-10-23  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

* Re: [RFC] using kernel.bbclass rename hook for external modules as well
@ 2010-10-23 13:14   ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2010-10-23 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel