* Resync intermittently writes to spare drives, waking them up
@ 2011-04-13 21:10 Rory Jaffe
From: Rory Jaffe @ 2011-04-13 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

I have a RAID5 array with 4 active devices and two spares. The spares
are normally in sleep mode. I ran a resync with:

echo repair > /sys/devices/virtual/block/md0/md/sync_action

About 20 times (evenly spaced apart) during the resync, the spares
were written to, waking them up. Is that behavior desired? It seems to
me that it's a waste--I don't know why the resync would bother with
the spares.

--Rory

* Re: Resync intermittently writes to spare drives, waking them up
@ 2011-04-14  8:32 ` David Brown
From: David Brown @ 2011-04-14  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

On 13/04/2011 23:10, Rory Jaffe wrote:
> I have a RAID5 array with 4 active devices and two spares. The spares
> are normally in sleep mode. I ran a resync with:
>
> echo repair>  /sys/devices/virtual/block/md0/md/sync_action
>
> About 20 times (evenly spaced apart) during the resync, the spares
> were written to, waking them up. Is that behavior desired? It seems to
> me that it's a waste--I don't know why the resync would bother with
> the spares.

This isn't an answer to your question, but I would recommend changing to
a raid 6 with 5 devices and one spare.  Raid 6 gives you /much/ better
reliability - you can thing of it as Raid 5 + hot spare with the hot
spare already synchronised.

* Re: Resync intermittently writes to spare drives, waking them up
@ 2011-04-18  0:55 ` NeilBrown
From: NeilBrown @ 2011-04-18  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rory Jaffe; +Cc: linux-raid

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 14:10:46 -0700 Rory Jaffe <rsjaffe@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a RAID5 array with 4 active devices and two spares. The spares
> are normally in sleep mode. I ran a resync with:
>
> echo repair > /sys/devices/virtual/block/md0/md/sync_action
>
> About 20 times (evenly spaced apart) during the resync, the spares
> were written to, waking them up. Is that behavior desired? It seems to
> me that it's a waste--I don't know why the resync would bother with
> the spares.

Yes, there is room for optimisation there.  It really shouldn't write to
those devices.  I guess I should try (again) to fix that.

Thanks for the report.

NeilBrown