* [Buildroot] How do you add a package subdirectory?
@ 2012-04-24 22:23 Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2012-04-24 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

I'm trying to add local packages to 2012.02, and I'd like them to live
in a subdirectory underneath "package" (e.g. package/mycompany). I've
created the "mycompany" directory which contains a Config.in that
declares a submenu that in turn sources the individual package
Config.in files: package/mycompany/foo/Config.in,
package/mycompany/bar/Config.in, etc.

The "mycompany" submenu shows up where it's supposed to, and that menu
has the entries for "foo" and "bar" as it should.  Selecting those
entries sets BR2_PACKAGE_FOO in the .config file as expected.

But, when I actually do the "make", buildroot won't attempt to build
packages "foo" and "bar" unless I create symlinks in the packages
directory that point to the corresponding directories in the mycompany
subdirectory like this:

   package/foo -> mycompany/foo
   package/bar -> mycompany/bar

Inside foo.mk, bar.mk the various settings/commands have the
"mycompany" directory in them, and once buildroot _finds_ the .mk
files, they build fine.

I've searched the existing scripts and .in files for some mechanism
that's used by the other packages that live in subdirectories
underneat packages, but couldn't find anything. As far as I can tell,
I've done everything in my new subdirectory exactly the same way it's
done in the other subdirectories, but it just doesn't work.

How does buildroot know that when BR2_PACKAGE_AUMIX is set it's
supposed to look for package/multimedia/aumix/aumix.mk and not
package/aumix/aumix.mk?

How do I get buildroot to look in package/mycompany for the foo and
bar package directories?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm definitely not
                                  at               in Omaha!

* [Buildroot] How do you add a package subdirectory?
@ 2012-04-25  5:23 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2012-04-25  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Grant,

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to add local packages to 2012.02, and I'd like them to live
> in a subdirectory underneath "package" (e.g. package/mycompany). I've
> created the "mycompany" directory which contains a Config.in that
> declares a submenu that in turn sources the individual package
> Config.in files: package/mycompany/foo/Config.in,
> package/mycompany/bar/Config.in, etc.
>
> The "mycompany" submenu shows up where it's supposed to, and that menu
> has the entries for "foo" and "bar" as it should. ?Selecting those
> entries sets BR2_PACKAGE_FOO in the .config file as expected.
>
> But, when I actually do the "make", buildroot won't attempt to build
> packages "foo" and "bar" unless I create symlinks in the packages
> directory that point to the corresponding directories in the mycompany
> subdirectory like this:
>
> ? package/foo -> mycompany/foo
> ? package/bar -> mycompany/bar
>
> Inside foo.mk, bar.mk the various settings/commands have the
> "mycompany" directory in them, and once buildroot _finds_ the .mk
> files, they build fine.
>
> I've searched the existing scripts and .in files for some mechanism
> that's used by the other packages that live in subdirectories
> underneat packages, but couldn't find anything. As far as I can tell,
> I've done everything in my new subdirectory exactly the same way it's
> done in the other subdirectories, but it just doesn't work.
>
> How does buildroot know that when BR2_PACKAGE_AUMIX is set it's
> supposed to look for package/multimedia/aumix/aumix.mk and not
> package/aumix/aumix.mk?
>
> How do I get buildroot to look in package/mycompany for the foo and
> bar package directories?

Have a look at http://elinux.org/images/2/2a/Using-buildroot-real-project.pdf,
pages 27-28 where this scenario is described.

What I think you are missing is the top-level .mk file in
/package/company/company.mk which includes all sub-mk files.

In Buildroot, all makefiles are included into one big top-level
Makefile whenever you type 'make'. For the packages, this is done with
wildcards: Makefile includes package/*/*.mk
If you have .mk files in other locations (package/*/*/*.mk), you have
to include them yourself, inside a .mk file at package/*/*.mk level.

Best regards,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] How do you add a package subdirectory?
@ 2012-04-25 13:02   ` Grant Edwards
From: Grant Edwards @ 2012-04-25 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 2012-04-25, Thomas De Schampheleire <patrickdepinguin+buildroot@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Grant,
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM, Grant Edwards
><grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to add local packages to 2012.02, and I'd like them to live
>> in a subdirectory underneath "package" (e.g. package/mycompany).
[...]
>> The "mycompany" submenu shows up where it's supposed to,
[...]
>> But, when I actually do the "make", buildroot won't attempt to build
>> packages "foo" and "bar" unless I create symlinks in the packages
>> directory that point to the corresponding directories in the mycompany
>> subdirectory
[...]

> Have a look at http://elinux.org/images/2/2a/Using-buildroot-real-project.pdf,
> pages 27-28 where this scenario is described.

Cool.  There should be a link to this on the "Documentation" page.

> What I think you are missing is the top-level .mk file in
> /package/company/company.mk which includes all sub-mk files.

That's it.  I swear I looked for files like that and they weren't
there yesterday...

Thanks!

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! If elected, Zippy
                                  at               pledges to each and every