* [Buildroot] How to build Kernel 2.6.x
@ 2012-11-14  9:19 woody
From: woody @ 2012-11-14  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

I want to build kernel version 2.6.16 for ARM (s3c2410).  The 2.6.16 is
not listed in either tool chains kernel headers options list or kernel
version options list.  What I can do is manual specify the version via
the buildroot menus.  However, it then failed in a stable of buidling
toolchain, it complains that there is no a '.config' found under the
kernel source directory and also not found the "headers_install" targets.

I've already manually downloaded the 2.6.16 tarball to the correct
location that can be found by buildroot.

So, what should I do?  Is may method wrong?

Thanks in advance!

--
woody
I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then.

* [Buildroot] How to build Kernel 2.6.x
@ 2012-11-14 14:31 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-11-14 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear woody,

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:19:15 +0800, woody wrote:

> I want to build kernel version 2.6.16 for ARM (s3c2410).  The 2.6.16 is

Why 2.6.16 ? This is prehistory.

> not listed in either tool chains kernel headers options list or kernel
> version options list.  What I can do is manual specify the version via
> the buildroot menus.  However, it then failed in a stable of buidling
> toolchain, it complains that there is no a '.config' found under the
> kernel source directory and also not found the "headers_install" targets.
>
> I've already manually downloaded the 2.6.16 tarball to the correct
> location that can be found by buildroot.
>
> So, what should I do?  Is may method wrong?

Please post your Buildroot .config file and put your entire build log
on some pastebin site (http://pastebin.com for example).

Thanks,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] How to build Kernel 2.6.x
@ 2012-11-14 14:47   ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2012-11-14 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Woody, All,

On Wednesday 14 November 2012 15:31:58 Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:19:15 +0800, woody wrote:
>
> > I want to build kernel version 2.6.16 for ARM (s3c2410).  The 2.6.16 is
>
> Why 2.6.16 ? This is prehistory.

And 2.6.16 does not know hos to headers_install. That came with 2.6.18,
and not even for all archs. IIRC, headers_install for arm was mostly
working at 2.6.20-something.

2.6.16 is tool old. Upgrade, and bang on your provider to upgrade.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |   ^                |
| --==< O_o >==-- '------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  /e\  There is no  |
| http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/ | (*_*) | / \ HTML MAIL    |  """  conspiracy.  |
'------------------------------'-------'------------------'--------------------'

* [Buildroot] How to build Kernel 2.6.x
@ 2012-11-14 14:57     ` Woody Wu
From: Woody Wu @ 2012-11-14 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

? 2012-11-14 PM10:50?"Yann E. MORIN" <yann.morin.1998@free.fr>???

> Woody, All,
>
> On Wednesday 14 November 2012 15:31:58 Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:19:15 +0800, woody wrote:
> >
> > > I want to build kernel version 2.6.16 for ARM (s3c2410).  The 2.6.16
is

> > Why 2.6.16 ? This is prehistory.
>
> And 2.6.16 does not know hos to headers_install. That came with 2.6.18,
> and not even for all archs. IIRC, headers_install for arm was mostly
> working at 2.6.20-something.
>
> 2.6.16 is tool old. Upgrade, and bang on your provider to upgrade.

Thanks for telling the information. I will try 2.6.20 and see whether the
error disappear.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] How to build Kernel 2.6.x
@ 2012-11-14 15:03       ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-11-14 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Woody Wu,

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 22:57:19 +0800, Woody Wu wrote:

> Thanks for telling the information. I will try 2.6.20 and see whether the
> error disappear.

Nooooo. If you're starting a project now, start with a recent kernel.
3.6 is the current one. Of course, check beforehand that there is
support for one platform in the mainline Linux kernel.

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2012-11-14 15:07   ` Woody Wu
From: Woody Wu @ 2012-11-14 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

? 2012-11-14 PM10:32?"Thomas Petazzoni" <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com
>???
>
> Dear woody,
>
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 17:19:15 +0800, woody wrote:
>
> > I want to build kernel version 2.6.16 for ARM (s3c2410).  The 2.6.16 is
>
> Why 2.6.16 ? This is prehistory.

I tried this is just because I got compiling error with other 2.6 kernel
versions listed in buildroot kernel versions selection list.
The error with those kernels is from lcd_backlight.c, saying a function
reference is not declared.

> > not listed in either tool chains kernel headers options list or kernel
> > version options list.  What I can do is manual specify the version via
> > the buildroot menus.  However, it then failed in a stable of buidling
> > toolchain, it complains that there is no a '.config' found under the
> > kernel source directory and also not found the "headers_install"
targets.

> > I've already manually downloaded the 2.6.16 tarball to the correct
> > location that can be found by buildroot.
> >
> > So, what should I do?  Is may method wrong?
>
> Please post your Buildroot .config file and put your entire build log
> on some pastebin site (http://pastebin.com for example).

I will fist try some other pepople's suggestions in the thread to use the
2.6.20 kernel. If things still go bad, I will post detail info as you
suggested. Now I just lost the log.  But I thank you very much!

@ 2012-11-14 15:13         ` Woody Wu
From: Woody Wu @ 2012-11-14 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

? 2012-11-14 PM11:03?"Thomas Petazzoni" <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com
>???
>
> Dear Woody Wu,
>
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 22:57:19 +0800, Woody Wu wrote:
>
> > Thanks for telling the information. I will try 2.6.20 and see whether
the
> > error disappear.
>
> Nooooo. If you're starting a project now, start with a recent kernel.
> 3.6 is the current one. Of course, check beforehand that there is
> support for one platform in the mainline Linux kernel.

Yes, 3.6 has the ARM support. The one reason I feel hestitate to use 3.6 is
that I am not sure 3.6 will results in a zImage too large thant that I
could got with 2.6.  Do you have an experience in this? Thanks.

@ 2012-11-14 15:24           ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-11-14 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Woody Wu,

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 23:13:05 +0800, Woody Wu wrote:

> Yes, 3.6 has the ARM support.

The fact that is has ARM support does not mean that it will work on
your particular board, using a particular ARM SoC. For sure the S3C2410
is supported. You didn't tell us which board you're using, so there's
no way we can tell you.

> The one reason I feel hestitate to use 3.6 is
> that I am not sure 3.6 will results in a zImage too large thant that I
> could got with 2.6.  Do you have an experience in this? Thanks.

Depends on what configuration options you enable in the kernel, and how
small your zImage needs to be. Most likely on a S3C2410 based platform
you have enough flash space to handle a reasonably sized zImage.

Thomas
--

@ 2012-11-14 15:25           ` Jeremy Rosen
From: Jeremy Rosen @ 2012-11-14 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

> > Nooooo. If you're starting a project now, start with a recent
> > kernel.
> > 3.6 is the current one. Of course, check beforehand that there is
> > support for one platform in the mainline Linux kernel.
>
> Yes, 3.6 has the ARM support. The one reason I feel hestitate to use
> 3.6 is that I am not sure 3.6 will results in a zImage too large
> thant that I could got with 2.6. Do you have an experience in this?
> Thanks.

in that case my advice would be to try 3.6 FIRST,

if it doesn't fit, optimize out what can be

if it still doesn't fit (and only then) should you try downgrading the kernel...

but do it in that order, do not jump to ancient kernel if you can avoid it, maintaining aging kernel is hard and costly, you will be much better if you start your project with the newest kernel

* [Buildroot] How to build Kernel 2.6.x
@ 2012-11-14 15:28             ` Richard Braun
From: Richard Braun @ 2012-11-14 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 04:24:56PM +0100, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> > The one reason I feel hestitate to use 3.6 is
> > that I am not sure 3.6 will results in a zImage too large thant that I
> > could got with 2.6.  Do you have an experience in this? Thanks.
>
> Depends on what configuration options you enable in the kernel, and how
> small your zImage needs to be. Most likely on a S3C2410 based platform
> you have enough flash space to handle a reasonably sized zImage.

Not to mention the improvements regarding kernel compression.

--
Richard Braun