* Task is not re-triggered even if variables in vardeps change #bitbake #yocto
@ 2021-11-25 17:25 Mohannad Oraby
From: Mohannad Oraby @ 2021-11-25 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi guys,

I have an issue related to vardeps where I am make a task dependent on some variables.

I have created some new variables e.g., NEW_VARIABLE, added them to BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE. In some recipes, I wrote my own implementation of some tasks that are dependent on these new variables, and for this dependency to work I added  e.g., do_install[vardeps] = "NEW_VARIABLE", so I am now expecting that every time I change this NEW_VARIABLE and perform e.g., "bitbake recipename", the do_install task should run. I checked the task signature and I see the NEW_VARIABLE there.

Let's assum I have two possible values for this variable. When I set the variable for the first time "value1", i.e., the first build, everything works and there is no problem. When I change its value to the other value "value2" not used before and build the recipe again, the do_install will also run and no problem occurs. The problem is however, if I set the variable again to the old value "value1", and I execite "bitbake recipename" again, this does not work, and this leads to some wrong/old data located in work directory, and also produced in the image.

I tried setting BB_DONT_CACHE, as I understood in an old topic that the problem might be that the recipe need to be parsed again, however this did not work at all.

I do not want to always run the tasks when I perform a new build, i.e., do_install[[nostamp] = "1", I just want it to run again every time I change this NEW_VARIABLE.

Is what I am expecting a normal behavior? Or Yocto does not work this way?

Regards
Mohannad

* Task is not re-triggered even if variables in vardeps change #bitbake #yocto
@ 2021-11-25 17:28 Mohannad Oraby
From: Mohannad Oraby @ 2021-11-25 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto