* git worktree, submodule and force checkout/switch
@ 2022-01-26 16:37 Federico Kircheis
From: Federico Kircheis @ 2022-01-26 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello to everyone,

I would like to report what I believe is a bug, or at least an
inconsistent behavior when using submodules and worktrees.

Consider following test-case

----
# create 2 repositories with one commit
mkdir repo1 && (cd repo1 && git init && git commit --allow-empty -m "repo1")
mkdir repo2 && (cd repo2 && git init && git commit --allow-empty -m "repo2")

# add submodule, a couple of branches, and a worktree
cd repo1
git submodule add ../repo2 && git commit -m "add submodule"
git switch -c branch1
git switch -c branch2
git worktree add ../repo1.w --detach

# test switch in the worktree
cd ../repo1.w
# git switch works
git switch --recurse-submodule branch1
git switch --recurse-submodule master
#git submodule update # (1)
cat .git
cat .gitmodules
cat repo2/.git # (2)
git switch --force branch1 # (3)error if no submodule update
----

Notice that if one forgets to git submodule update (1) before git switch
--force branch1, even when using --recurse-submodule, there is no
submodule, as repo1.w/repo2/ is empty (2).

It is confusing/unexpected that git switch --force fails and creates a
repo1.w/repo2/.git file pointing to the wrong location.

As comparison, when cloning a repository and forgetting to do "git
submodule update", then "git switch --force branch1" works as expected:

----
# create 2 repositories with one commit
mkdir repo1 && (cd repo1 && git init && git commit --allow-empty -m "repo1")
mkdir repo2 && (cd repo2 && git init && git commit --allow-empty -m "repo2")

cd repo1
git submodule add ../repo2 && git commit -m "add submodule"
git switch -c branch1
git switch -c branch2

cd ..
git clone repo1 repo1.c
cd repo1.c
git switch branch2
git switch --force branch1 # works, event without git submodule update
----

Notice:
In both cases "git switch" and "git checkout" behave the same.
Also the parameter "--recurse-submodule" does not change anything.

Best

Federico

PS: I'm not subscribed to the mailing list (yet), so please keep me in CC.