* [Xenomai] question on installing xenomai 3 on raspberry pi 3
@ 2018-04-24 23:30 Yuan Dai
From: Yuan Dai @ 2018-04-24 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi

I am trying to install xenomai 3 on raspberry pi 3B and would like to know where exactly should I put the compiled kernel image on the SD card.

I have downloaded xenomai v.3.0.2
compiled the kernel by
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf- zImage modules dtbs
Now I just need to copy the zImage and the device tree to the microSD card.

But whether I copied to
	sudo cp arch/arm/boot/zImage /boot/
or I tried to copy to
	 sudo cp arch/arm/boot/zImage /media/${USER}/boot
I cannot get a successful reboot from the new Kernel image.

I will either get a black screen after I restart the computer or get a warning after sometime for a normal boot.
The error code is like this
	end kernel panic : attempted to kill init! Exitcode =0x000000b–not syncing

I believe this is not a xenomai problem but rather a kernel compiling issue or even a SD issue. But I have tried several ways by searching online and have not had any luck yet. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or webpage that I can refer to. Thank you so much for your time!

Best,
Yuan

* Re: [Xenomai] question on installing xenomai 3 on raspberry pi 3
@ 2018-04-25 10:34 ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2018-04-25 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuan Dai, xenomai

Usually on pi the kernel image is called kernel.img, kernel7.img or kernel8.img unless otherwise specified in your config.txt file. You can either rename your zimage to kernel.img (or similar) or add kernel=zImage in your config.txt.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/boot.md

This may also be different in you are using uboot to load the kernel. I'm assuming you are using the raspberry Pi bootloader only.

Greg

@ 2018-04-25 10:55   ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-04-25 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher; +Cc: Yuan Dai, xenomai

Hi,

Sometime back I have given a presentation about "Tizen bring up on
Raspberry Pi 2".
https://elinux.org/images/7/78/Pkumar.pdf

Here I have described about how to replace the kernel image on rpi2.
Please refer to slide:22,23

Hope this method should work even on rpi3 as well.

Thanks,
Pintu