* [RFC] libata feature list
@ 2005-12-15  6:40 Jeff Garzik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2005-12-15  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ide

I wrote a quick libata feature list, for people who like that sort of
thing.  Before I send it out to linux-kernel and to others, I thought I
would run it by linux-ide:

	http://linux.yyz.us/sata/features.html

Comments welcome.

	Jeff

* Re: [RFC] libata feature list
@ 2005-12-15  8:48 ` Aric Cyr
From: Aric Cyr @ 2005-12-15  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ide

Jeff Garzik <jgarzik <at> pobox.com> writes:

> I wrote a quick libata feature list, for people who like that sort of
> thing.  Before I send it out to linux-kernel and to others, I thought I
> would run it by linux-ide:
>
> 	http://linux.yyz.us/sata/features.html
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> 	Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Great summary.  Just a few nit-picks :)

1) Title is kind of misleading now that PATA is included.  Not too important,
but PATA will likely get better tested if users know off the bat that it is
(experimentally) supported.

2) I think "Not Supported" should list all the PCI IDE (PATA) controllers that
exist in the mainline kernel but not in libata (e.g. ALi, I think).  This would
make it easier for users to know whether they should bother with PATA support or
not.

Regards,
  Aric

* Re: [RFC] libata feature list
@ 2005-12-15 11:41 ` James Courtier-Dutton
From: James Courtier-Dutton @ 2005-12-15 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: linux-ide

Jeff Garzik wrote:

> I wrote a quick libata feature list, for people who like that sort of
> thing.  Before I send it out to linux-kernel and to others, I thought I
> would run it by linux-ide:
>
>     http://linux.yyz.us/sata/features.html
>
> Comments welcome.
>
>     Jeff

How about adding a Linux kernel version number, and then adding a new
page for each kernel version that comes out.
Then users would be able to see feature XYZ has been implemented in the
latest kernel, and then give them a reason to upgrade to it.

James

* Re: [RFC] libata feature list
@ 2005-12-15 15:42 ` Bogdan Costescu
From: Bogdan Costescu @ 2005-12-15 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik; +Cc: linux-ide

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Comments welcome.

In the list of "Host controllers" there are manufacturer names that
appear in more than one of the PCI IDE SATA, Advanced SATA or PCI IDE
PATA categories; it might be less confusing if the chipset or series
number is given, when possible.

Lower, in the "Not supported" section, "ATA/ATAPI device support"
lists "hotplug (early patch available)"; it might be less confusing to
make a similar note as higher when talking about the controller, like:

 	* hotplug (i.e. plug/unplug the drive)

Thanks!

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868
E-mail: Bogdan.Costescu@IWR.Uni-Heidelberg.De