* Release plan
@ 2009-06-22 15:53 Mike Ramsey
       [not found] ` <f058a9c30906230308m2062bbdbs519d65389400e39e@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mike Ramsey @ 2009-06-22 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

I was looking at file systems for Linux, Ubuntu in particular.  I really like
Sun's ZPF.  ZPF's copy-on-write transaction model strikes me as the correct
way to go.  But ZPF lacks a GNU General Public License which blocks ZPF's
adoption by the Linux kernel. This led me to btrfs.

I understand that the B-TRee File System is a "copy-on-write file system for
Linux announced by Oracle in 2007 and published under the GNU General Public
License (GPL)".

For planning purposes, what timeframe do you see for releasing a stable
version of btrfs?  I am not a paying customer nor am I an annoying manager.  I
am just curious as to when I should plan to start paying closer attention.  4Q
2009? 2Q 2010?

Ext4 is a jornaling file system.  A copy-on-write file system should just be
so much better.  I find it hard to wait.  :-)

--Thank you,
--Mike Ramsey

* Re: Release plan
       [not found] ` <f058a9c30906230308m2062bbdbs519d65389400e39e@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-06-23 10:09   ` Miguel F Mascarenhas Sousa Filipe
From: Miguel F Mascarenhas Sousa Filipe @ 2009-06-23 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi there,

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Mike Ramsey <michael.j.ramsey@lmco.com=
> wrote:
>
> I was looking at file systems for Linux, Ubuntu in particular. =C2=A0=
I really like
> Sun's ZPF. =C2=A0ZPF's copy-on-write transaction model strikes me as =
the correct
> way to go. =C2=A0But ZPF lacks a GNU General Public License which blo=
cks ZPF's
> adoption by the Linux kernel. This led me to btrfs.

You mean ZFS, but I think everybody who read this "self-corrected" your=
 typo.

> I understand that the B-TRee File System is a "copy-on-write file sys=
tem for
> Linux announced by Oracle in 2007 and published under the GNU General=
 Public
> License (GPL)".
>
> For planning purposes, what timeframe do you see for releasing a stab=
le
> version of btrfs? =C2=A0I am not a paying customer nor am I an annoyi=
ng manager. =C2=A0I
> am just curious as to when I should plan to start paying closer atten=
tion. =C2=A04Q
> 2009? 2Q 2010?

=46ilesystems take a long time to mature, btrfs is stable enough for
daily use, has long has you don't use it for sensitive/critical data.
There are still some problems, the most anoying being the premature
"out of space"/"disc full" errors.
I would say that in time for Fedora 12, you will probably have a btrfs
more usable for the common user, but still not advised for the faint
of heart.

Consider the time that ext4 took to mature and for people to trust it.
Ext4 is stable for quite some months, but even now, the majority of
recent distro builds choose ext3 has the default filesystem.

Again.. filesystems take quite a bit of time to mature...

disclaimer: I'm not a btrfs developer, just a entusiast that follows
the developement.

Kind regards,

--
Miguel Sousa Filipe
in

* Re: Release plan
@ 2009-06-24  1:11     ` Mike Ramsey
From: Mike Ramsey @ 2009-06-24  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Miguel F Mascarenhas Sousa Filipe <miguel.filipe <at> gmail.com> writes:

[snip]

> You mean ZFS, but I think everybody who read this "self-corrected" your typo.

Yes, I mean ZFS.  ZFS used to be known as the Zettapoint File System.
I guess my subconsciousness couldn't let go of the "point".

[snip]

> File systems take a long time to mature, btrfs is stable enough for
> daily use, has long has you don't use it for sensitive/critical data.
> There are still some problems, the most annoying being the premature
> "out of space"/"disc full" errors.
> I would say that in time for Fedora 12, you will probably have a btrfs
> more usable for the common user, but still not advised for the faint
> of heart.
>
> Consider the time that ext4 took to mature and for people to trust it.
> Ext4 is stable for quite some months, but even now, the majority of
> recent distro builds choose ext3 has the default file system.
>
> Again.. file systems take quite a bit of time to mature...
[snip]

I know.  A schedule has an amazing way of focusing people on what is
important.  There may be ten things that should be done but not all ten
things  need to be done.  :-)

--Best regards,
--Mike Ramsey

* Re: Release plan
@ 2009-06-25 22:38       ` Valerie Aurora
From: Valerie Aurora @ 2009-06-25 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Ramsey; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 01:11:24AM +0000, Mike Ramsey wrote:
> Miguel F Mascarenhas Sousa Filipe <miguel.filipe <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > You mean ZFS, but I think everybody who read this "self-corrected" your typo.
>
> Yes, I mean ZFS.  ZFS used to be known as the Zettapoint File System.
> I guess my subconsciousness couldn't let go of the "point".

:) Zettabyte, perhaps?

-VAL

* Re: Release plan
@ 2009-06-26  1:38         ` Mike Ramsey
From: Mike Ramsey @ 2009-06-26  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Valerie Aurora <vaurora <at> redhat.com> writes:

[snip]

> :) Zettabyte, perhaps?

Sigh.  Yes, Zettabyte.  I am going to have a talk with my subconscious about
that. :-)