* Hint request for driver change
@ 2009-10-26 10:45 Massimo Del Fedele
From: Massimo Del Fedele @ 2009-10-26 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi,

I'm trying to support the analog part of Pinnacle PCTV310e, which is an
ULI M9207 based card; by now I added the support for the digital side
patching the M920x driver; in order to add the analog part the driver
should be almost completely rewritten, and it'll take more source files,
so it should have a separate folder.
Shall I make a new driver (with different name, as m920x-new) or simply
remove old one and add the new ?

Ciao

Max

* Re: Hint request for driver change
@ 2009-10-27 10:23 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2009-10-27 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Massimo Del Fedele; +Cc: linux-media

Em Mon, 26 Oct 2009 11:45:41 +0100
Massimo Del Fedele <max@veneto.com> escreveu:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to support the analog part of Pinnacle PCTV310e, which is an
> ULI M9207 based card; by now I added the support for the digital side
> patching the M920x driver; in order to add the analog part the driver
> should be almost completely rewritten, and it'll take more source files,
> so it should have a separate folder.
> Shall I make a new driver (with different name, as m920x-new) or simply
> remove old one and add the new ?

It is better to not rename it, to avoid confusion.

> Ciao
>
> Max

Cheers,
Mauro

* Re: Hint request for driver change
@ 2009-10-28 18:50   ` Massimo Del Fedele
From: Massimo Del Fedele @ 2009-10-28 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab <at> infradead.org> writes:

> It is better to not rename it, to avoid confusion.

Thank you for the answer :-)
The only problem is that rewriting the full driver I will not be able to test
all card supported by previous one (I just own one of them).
Anyways I'll start with mine than ask for some test for the others.

BTW, did you see my patch for adding Pinnacle PCTV310e support (DVB only) in
current driver ? Did I post it correctly or it miss something ?

Best regards

Massimo

* Re: Hint request for driver change
@ 2009-10-31  9:38     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2009-10-31  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Massimo Del Fedele; +Cc: linux-media

Em Wed, 28 Oct 2009 18:50:14 +0000 (UTC)
Massimo Del Fedele <max@veneto.com> escreveu:

> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab <at> infradead.org> writes:
>

> > It is better to not rename it, to avoid confusion.
>
> Thank you for the answer :-)
> The only problem is that rewriting the full driver I will not be able to test
> all card supported by previous one (I just own one of them).
> Anyways I'll start with mine than ask for some test for the others.

Rewriting the full driver is generally a bad idea, since you'll probably loose
fixes and cause regressions. The better is to incrementally fix it.

> BTW, did you see my patch for adding Pinnacle PCTV310e support (DVB only) in
> current driver ? Did I post it correctly or it miss something ?

I just sent you an email about that. Basically, you forgot a SOB and to do make
checkpatch

Cheers,
Mauro