* [Qemu-devel] Windows Vista 64 bit on QEMU
@ 2008-01-04  4:20 Anup Gangwar
From: Anup Gangwar @ 2008-01-04  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello All,

Has anyone had success installing (and runnning) Vista 64 bit on QEMU. I
tried it and landed into a variety of windows blue screen errors. The EFI
BIOS also does not seem to be working with the QEMU version in CVS.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Anup

* [Qemu-devel] Re: Windows Vista 64 bit on QEMU
@ 2008-01-08 10:51 ` Anup Gangwar
From: Anup Gangwar @ 2008-01-08 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello All,

I did not get any response to this E-mail. Could someone please let me know
in case there is any other forum to discuss such issues. The topics on QEMU
user forum (relating to this issue) seem to be inactive.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Anup

On Jan 4, 2008 9:50 AM, Anup Gangwar <anup.gangwar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Has anyone had success installing (and runnning) Vista 64 bit on QEMU. I
> tried it and landed into a variety of windows blue screen errors. The EFI
> BIOS also does not seem to be working with the QEMU version in CVS.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anup

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Windows Vista 64 bit on QEMU
@ 2008-01-09  7:17     ` M. Warner Losh
From: M. Warner Losh @ 2008-01-09  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, computers57

In message: <BAY133-DAV13971AB87CE09C6B82FFC9B9490@phx.gbl>
            "C.W. Betts" <computers57@hotmail.com> writes:
: Don't take my word for it, but I don't think AMD64 (or EM64T) uses
: efi.  I'd look it up for myself, but I gotta go to bed.

Generally speaking they don't.  Apple Intel Macs are the only ones I
know that use efi, apart from some extreme nitch gear that does...

Warner

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Windows Vista 64 bit on QEMU
@ 2008-01-09  7:19   ` C.W. Betts
From: C.W. Betts @ 2008-01-09  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

@ 2008-01-09  8:09       ` Anup Gangwar
From: Anup Gangwar @ 2008-01-09  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

In one of the posts for Vista on QEMU someone had mentioned that ACPI is to
be blamed. In one of the subsequent posts it was pointed that ACPI is
supported quite well in EFI BIOS. This is the reason I had mentioned that it
no longer works with QEMU.

The goal still remains to get Vista 64-bit working on QEMU and if EFI BIOS
will not help then I will not pursue it any further.

Any further pointers to get Vista running on QEMU will be appreciated.

Regards,

Anup

@ 2008-01-09  8:49         ` Alexander Graf
From: Alexander Graf @ 2008-01-09  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Anup Gangwar wrote:
> In one of the posts for Vista on QEMU someone had mentioned that ACPI
> is to be blamed. In one of the subsequent posts it was pointed that
> ACPI is supported quite well in EFI BIOS. This is the reason I had
> mentioned that it no longer works with QEMU.
>
> The goal still remains to get Vista 64-bit working on QEMU and if EFI
> BIOS will not help then I will not pursue it any further.
>
> Any further pointers to get Vista running on QEMU will be appreciated.

Afaik some work has been done on kvm to get 64bit Vista running. You
might want to ask there.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Windows Vista 64 bit on QEMU
@ 2012-06-19  1:34 ` Edward Tisdale
From: Edward Tisdale @ 2012-06-19  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Anup Gangwar <anup.gangwar <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hello All,Has anyone had success installing (and runnning) Vista 64 bit on
QEMU. I tried it and landed into a variety of windows blue screen errors. The
EFI BIOS also does not seem to be working with the QEMU version in CVS.
> Thanks for the help.Regards,Anup

Yes. I was having the error saying that it couldn't install because it was not
setup for 64bit, then I changed some of the settings in qemu:

Machine Name: Vista
Emulator Type: KVM
Emulator Version: Default
Computer Type: KVM (Intel VT/AMD SV...)