* Vivante X11 tests
@ 2013-05-24 16:26 Diego
From: Diego @ 2013-05-24 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hi everybody,

now that the receipe for vivante samples is merged, can anybody test if they
work for them?
https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-demos/tree/master/recipes-graphics/vivante-gpu-sdk

The samples test OpenGL ES 1.1 X11 functionalities.
If you have a board with Vivante GPU report if the samples in:
/opt/vivante-gpu-sdk/bin/GLES11_x11/
work for you. Please specify:
- the board;
- your version of Yocto [dylan, master, etc].

I still have the same situation as described here:
https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/meta-freescale/2013-April/002439.html

If anybody has other experiences please share!

Bests,
Diego

* 回复: Vivante X11 tests
@ 2013-05-25 15:21 ` jojo
From: jojo @ 2013-05-25 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego; +Cc: meta-freescale

Sounds good, i work on imx6q with X11 and use App with OpenGL|ES also,

i am ready for testing with the patches later :)

Thanks,

- Jojo

在 2013年5月25日星期六,上午12:26,Diego 写道:

> Hi everybody,
>
> now that the receipe for vivante samples is merged, can anybody test if they
> work for them?
> https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-demos/tree/master/recipes-graphics/vivante-gpu-sdk
>
> The samples test OpenGL ES 1.1 X11 functionalities.
> If you have a board with Vivante GPU report if the samples in:
> /opt/vivante-gpu-sdk/bin/GLES11_x11/
> work for you. Please specify:
> - the board;
> - your version of Yocto [dylan, master, etc].
>
> I still have the same situation as described here:
> https://lists.yoctoproject.org/pipermail/meta-freescale/2013-April/002439.html
>
> If anybody has other experiences please share!
>
> Bests,
> Diego

* Re: Vivante X11 tests
@ 2013-05-28  8:47 ` Silas
From: Silas @ 2013-05-28  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Well, I believe the OpenGL ES for X11 is still not working in Yocto,
though that in the lasted bsp 4.0.0 has worked now. So the samples are
likely won't work.

If you are in a hurry you can copy from the bsp and plot it to Yocto.

* Re: Vivante X11 tests
@ 2013-05-28 13:23   ` Diego Rondini
From: Diego Rondini @ 2013-05-28 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

> Well, I believe the OpenGL ES for X11 is still not working in Yocto,
> though that in the lasted bsp 4.0.0 has worked now. So the samples are
> likely won't work.
>
> If you are in a hurry you can copy from the bsp and plot it to Yocto.

Hi Silas,

I've tried even the route of slapping 4.0.0 BSP binaries over Yocto (the same
kernel source, same Xorg version, same xorg binary drivers, same Vivante
binaries) as Ubuntu 11.10 provided by Freescale but that didn't work. The
result was still the same: blank windows.

What's interesting is that doing an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" on
Freescale's Ubuntu causes a quite similar issue (blank window).

The only option I've found at the moment to have a working Vivante X11
acceleration is stock Freescale Ubuntu BSP 4.0.0.

Any other experiences with Vivante GPU?

Bests,
Diego

* Re: Vivante X11 tests
@ 2013-05-28 13:27     ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2013-05-28 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Diego Rondini; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Diego Rondini
<diego.rondini@kynetics.it>wrote:

> > Well, I believe the OpenGL ES for X11 is still not working in Yocto,
> > though that in the lasted bsp 4.0.0 has worked now. So the samples are
> > likely won't work.
> >
> > If you are in a hurry you can copy from the bsp and plot it to Yocto.
>
> Hi Silas,
>
> I've tried even the route of slapping 4.0.0 BSP binaries over Yocto (the
> same
> kernel source, same Xorg version, same xorg binary drivers, same Vivante
> binaries) as Ubuntu 11.10 provided by Freescale but that didn't work. The
> result was still the same: blank windows.
>
> What's interesting is that doing an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" on
> Freescale's Ubuntu causes a quite similar issue (blank window).
>
> The only option I've found at the moment to have a working Vivante X11
> acceleration is stock Freescale Ubuntu BSP 4.0.0.
>
> Any other experiences with Vivante GPU?

I have a work in progress patchset for GPU update to 4.0.0 and Xorg
segfaults. Can you confirm this is what you had as well?

http://www.ossystems.com.br        http://projetos.ossystems.com.br

* Re: Vivante X11 tests
@ 2013-05-29  4:34     ` Silas
From: Silas @ 2013-05-29  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Diego Rondini <diego.rondini@...> writes:

> > Well, I believe the OpenGL ES for X11 is still not working in Yocto,
> > though that in the lasted bsp 4.0.0 has worked now. So the samples are
> > likely won't work.
> >
> > If you are in a hurry you can copy from the bsp and plot it to Yocto.
>
> Hi Silas,
>
> I've tried even the route of slapping 4.0.0 BSP binaries over Yocto (the same
> kernel source, same Xorg version, same xorg binary drivers, same Vivante
> binaries) as Ubuntu 11.10 provided by Freescale but that didn't work. The
> result was still the same: blank windows.
>
> What's interesting is that doing an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" on
> Freescale's Ubuntu causes a quite similar issue (blank window).
>
> The only option I've found at the moment to have a working Vivante X11
> acceleration is stock Freescale Ubuntu BSP 4.0.0.
>
> Any other experiences with Vivante GPU?
>
> Bests,
> Diego

Hi Diego,

I did some quick and dirty plot this morning. What I did are replacing the
kernel gpu driver source code, writing recipes for gpu-viv-bin-mx6q,
xf86-dri-vivante and xf86-video-imxfb-vivante. It compiles fine and I test
the simple triangle sample from the sdk. The result is...it only works in
fullscreen. If I create a smaller window in XCreateSimpleWindow other than
full screen size, it gives me a blank window.

Silas

* Re: Vivante X11 tests
@ 2013-05-29 13:18       ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2013-05-29 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Silas; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 1:34 AM, Silas <seal_jp2002@yahoo.co.jp> wrote:

> Diego Rondini <diego.rondini@...> writes:
>

> > > Well, I believe the OpenGL ES for X11 is still not working in Yocto,
> > > though that in the lasted bsp 4.0.0 has worked now. So the samples are
> > > likely won't work.
> > >
> > > If you are in a hurry you can copy from the bsp and plot it to Yocto.
> >
> > Hi Silas,
> >
> > I've tried even the route of slapping 4.0.0 BSP binaries over Yocto (the
> same
> > kernel source, same Xorg version, same xorg binary drivers, same Vivante
> > binaries) as Ubuntu 11.10 provided by Freescale but that didn't work. The
> > result was still the same: blank windows.
> >
> > What's interesting is that doing an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"
> on
> > Freescale's Ubuntu causes a quite similar issue (blank window).
> >
> > The only option I've found at the moment to have a working Vivante X11
> > acceleration is stock Freescale Ubuntu BSP 4.0.0.
> >
> > Any other experiences with Vivante GPU?
> >
> > Bests,
> > Diego
> >

> Hi Diego,
>
> I did some quick and dirty plot this morning. What I did are replacing the
> kernel gpu driver source code, writing recipes for gpu-viv-bin-mx6q,
> xf86-dri-vivante and xf86-video-imxfb-vivante. It compiles fine and I test
> the simple triangle sample from the sdk. The result is...it only works in
> fullscreen. If I create a smaller window in XCreateSimpleWindow other than
> full screen size, it gives me a blank window.

Interesting. I have these patches in my tree but I get a segfault in Xorg
with them.

Can you send me your patches so I can compare them?

@ 2013-05-30 15:01       ` Diego Rondini
From: Diego Rondini @ 2013-05-30 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Silas wrote:
> Hi Diego,
>
> I did some quick and dirty plot this morning. What I did are replacing the
> kernel gpu driver source code, writing recipes for gpu-viv-bin-mx6q,
> xf86-dri-vivante and xf86-video-imxfb-vivante. It compiles fine and I test
> the simple triangle sample from the sdk. The result is...it only works in
> fullscreen. If I create a smaller window in XCreateSimpleWindow other than
> full screen size, it gives me a blank window.
>
> Silas

Hi Silas,

What you are reporting corresponds to my personal experience. Here's what I
gather about Vivante drivers until now.
This is what happens with both 1.1.0 and 4.0.0:
- only Unity 2D (window manager Metacity) is able to display 3D applications
inside a window, without displaying black / white content. Every other desktop
I've tested fails. These are the tested combinations: Ubuntu Unity 3D (wm
Compiz); Ubuntu XFCE (wm xfwm); Ubuntu Openbox session (wm openbox); Yocto
Sato (wm matchbox); Yocto Openbox session (wm openbox);
- performance in Ubuntu Unity  2D in Windowed mode is really poor and
unsatisfying; while is okay in fullscreen mode;
- I can run fullscreen 3D applications in Ubuntu even in openbox and XFCE.

Silas, which test did you run in fullscreen under Yocto? Is there any ready
made or easy to build?

On the contrary now I'm able to use 3D applications in windowed mode in Yocto
danny with Vivante drivers 12.09.01 by replacing the correct missing x11
binaries (libGAL, libEGL and libVIVANTE).

Bests,
Diego

* Vivante X11 tests
@ 2013-05-24 16:18 Diego
From: Diego @ 2013-05-24 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hi everybody,

now that the receipe for vivante samples is merged, can anybody test if they
work for them?
https://github.com/Freescale/meta-fsl-demos/tree/master/recipes-graphics/vivante-gpu-sdk

The samples test OpenGL ES 1.1 X11 functionalities.
If you have a board with Vivante GPU report the