* Recovering a 4xhdd RAID10 file system with 2 failed disks
@ 2014-08-06  8:20 TM
From: TM @ 2014-08-06  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Recovering a 4xhdd RAID10 file system with 2 failed disks

Hi all,

  Quick and Dirty:
  4disk RAID10 with 2 missing devices, mounts as degraded,ro ,  readonly
scrub ends with no errors
  Recovery options:
  A/ If you had at least 3 hdds, you could replace/add a device
  B/ If you only have 2 hdds, even if scrub ro is ok,
 you cannot replace/add a device
  So I guess the best option is:
  B.1/ create a new RAID0 filesystem , copy data over to the new filesystem,
 add the old drives to the new filesystem, re-balance the system as RAID10.
  B.2/ any other ways to recover that I am missing ? anything easier/faster ?

  Long story:
  A couple of weeks back I had a failed hdd in a RAID10 4disk btrfs.
  I added a new device, removed the failed, but three days later after the
recovery, I ended up with another 2 failing disks.
  So I physically removed the failing 2 disks from the drive bays.
  (sent one back to Seagate for replacement, the other one I kept it and
will send it later)
  (please note I do have a backup)

  Good thing is that the two drives I have left in this RAID10 , seem to
hold all data and data seems ok according to a read-only scrub.
  The remaining 2 disks from the RAID can be mounted with –o degraded,ro
  I did a read-only scrub on the filesystem (while mounted as –o
degraded,ro) and scrub ended with no errors.
  I hope this ro scrub is 100% validation that I have not lost any files,
and all files are ok.

  Just today I *tried* to inserted a new disk, and add it to the RAID10 setup.
  If I mount the filesystem as degraded,ro I cannot add a new device (btrfs
device add). And I cannot replace a disk (btrfs replace –r start).
  That is because the filesystem is mounted not only as degraded but as
read-only.
  But a two disk RAID10, can only be mounted as ro.
  This is by design
gitorious.org/linux-n900/linux-n900/commit
/bbb651e469d99f0088e286fdeb54acca7bb4ad4e

  But again, a RAID10 system should be recoverable somehow if the data is
all there but half of the disks are missing.
 (  Ie. the raid0 drives are there and only the raid1 part is missing. The
striped volume is ok, the mirror data is missing)
  If it was an ordinary RAID10 , replacing the two mirror disks at the same
time should be acceptable and the RAID should be recoverable.

  Myself I am lucky , since I still have one of the old failing disks in my
hands. (the other one is being RMAd currently)
  I can insert the old failing disk and mount the file system as degraded
(but not ro), and then run a btrfs replace or btrfs device add.

  But in case I did not have the old failing disk in my hands, or if the
disk was damaged beyond recognition/repair (eg not recognized in BIOS),
  as far as I understand it is impossible to add/replace drives in a file
system mounted as read-only.

  Am I missing something ?
  Is there a better and faster way to recover a RAID10 when only the striped
data is there but not the mirror data?

Thanks in advance,
TM

* Recovering a 4xhdd RAID10 file system with 2 failed disks
@ 2014-08-06  9:43 TM
From: TM @ 2014-08-06  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Recovering a 4xhdd RAID10 file system with 2 failed disks

Hi all,

  Quick and Dirty:
  4disk RAID10 with 2 missing devices, mounts as degraded,ro ,  readonly
scrub ends with no errors
  Recovery options:
  A/ If you had at least 3 hdds, you could replace/add a device
  B/ If you only have 2 hdds, even if scrub ro is ok,
 you cannot replace/add a device
  So I guess the best option is:
  B.1/ create a new RAID0 filesystem , copy data over to the new filesystem,
 move the old drives to the new filesystem, re-balance the system as RAID10.
  B.2/ any other ways to recover I am missing ? anything easier/faster ?

[...]

(Ie. the raid0 data is there and only the raid1 part is missing. The