* Re: perf records no samples on an IBM x3250M5
@ 2015-12-04  8:45 Patrick Agrain
From: Patrick Agrain @ 2015-12-04  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

On Thu, 2015-12-03 at 14:26 +0000, Patrick Agrain wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> perf record no samples in perf.data on an IBM x3250M5.
>> perf stat is OK (in that way that it displays some stats).

> 1) Which stats are displayed? Do the basic events from "perf list hw"
> work?

> perf stat -e cycles -- sleep 1
> perf stat -e instructions -- sleep 1

Hello,

Sorry, but I'm not familiar at all with Gmane interface. I only find this
way to answer to the questions Michael Petlan asked me.

[root@x3250-m5 tmpd]# ./perf319 stat -e cycles -- sleep 1

 Performance counter stats for 'sleep 1':

           749,662      cycles

       1.000436036 seconds time elapsed

[root@x3250-m5 tmpd]# perf stat -e instructions -- sleep 1
-bash: perf: command not found
[root@x3250-m5 tmpd]# ./perf319 stat -e instructions -- sleep 1

 Performance counter stats for 'sleep 1':

           545,304      instructions

       1.000413356 seconds time elapsed

[root@x3250-m5 tmpd]#

> 2) What does "perf list hw" show?

lines 1-7/7 (END)
  instructions                                       [Hardware event]
  cache-references                                   [Hardware event]
  cache-misses                                       [Hardware event]
  branch-instructions OR branches                    [Hardware event]
  branch-misses                                      [Hardware event]
  bus-cycles                                         [Hardware event]

Hope it helps. Thanks.
Kind regards,
Patrick Agrain

* Re: perf records  no samples on an IBM x3250M5
@ 2015-12-03 15:42 ` Michael Petlan
From: Michael Petlan @ 2015-12-03 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Agrain; +Cc: linux-perf-users

@ 2015-12-03 14:26 Patrick Agrain