* Restore Question
@ 2016-02-26 14:18 Gerald
From: Gerald @ 2016-02-26 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

I have git running on a VMware virtual machine.  I backup the virtual
machine every day.  How do I restore git from a restore of the virtual machine?

* Re: Restore Question
@ 2016-02-26 16:44 ` Kevin Daudt
       [not found]   ` <CY1PR06MB2155A1C2369E836CF8A34839CCA70@CY1PR06MB2155.namprd06.prod.outlook.com>
From: Kevin Daudt @ 2016-02-26 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald; +Cc: git

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 02:18:16PM +0000, Gerald wrote:
> I have git running on a VMware virtual machine.  I backup the virtual
> machine every day.  How do I restore git from a restore of the virtual machine?

Can you explain what you mean exactly with restoring git? It's unclear
what you want to achieve.

Retrieving a git repository is just a matter of copying the entiry
repository directory (including .git dir).

* Re: Restore Question
       [not found]   ` <CY1PR06MB2155A1C2369E836CF8A34839CCA70@CY1PR06MB2155.namprd06.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2016-02-26 17:13     ` Kevin Daudt
From: Kevin Daudt @ 2016-02-26 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald McKinley; +Cc: git

On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 04:53:35PM +0000, Gerald  McKinley wrote:
> I have git running on a vm.  One of the repos got messed up.  I restored the
> vm from the previous day.  I gave the vm a different ip address and hostname.
> I did not see all my files in the repo.

Please don't remove the gist mailing list from the CC (use reply all).

Is this VM used to host the repositories, meaning, are they bare
repositories?

You have to be a little more verbose, it's hard for us to guess what is
going on.

If you have restored the VM, it's just a matter of copying the
repository directory from the backup vm to the current VM..