* reboot/kexec in 2.6.38
@ 2011-03-17  6:45 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2011-03-17  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, arminlitzel, Cyril Hrubis,
	thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov, omegamoon,
	eric.y.miao, utx, zaurus-devel, Marek Vasut

Hi!

I got report that  reboot/kexec does not work in recent kernels.

I tried both kexec and reboot in 2.6.38, and it worked ok. Maybe
config issue?
									Pavel

* reboot/kexec in 2.6.38
@ 2011-03-17  6:45 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2011-03-17  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi!

I got report that  reboot/kexec does not work in recent kernels.

I tried both kexec and reboot in 2.6.38, and it worked ok. Maybe
config issue?
									Pavel

* Re: reboot/kexec in 2.6.38
@ 2011-03-17 10:58   ` Eric Miao
From: Eric Miao @ 2011-03-17 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, arminlitzel, Cyril Hrubis,
	thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov, omegamoon, utx,
	zaurus-devel, Marek Vasut

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I got report that  reboot/kexec does not work in recent kernels.
>
> I tried both kexec and reboot in 2.6.38, and it worked ok. Maybe
> config issue?

I think it's config issue. Never heard of this.

>                                                                        Pavel
> --
> (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
> (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html

* reboot/kexec in 2.6.38
@ 2011-03-17 10:58   ` Eric Miao
From: Eric Miao @ 2011-03-17 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I got report that ?reboot/kexec does not work in recent kernels.
>
> I tried both kexec and reboot in 2.6.38, and it worked ok. Maybe
> config issue?

I think it's config issue. Never heard of this.

> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Pavel
> --
> (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek
> (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html

* Re: reboot/kexec in 2.6.38
  (?)
  (?)
@ 2011-03-17 10:58 ` WANG Cong
From: WANG Cong @ 2011-03-17 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: zaurus-devel

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 07:45:23 +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I got report that  reboot/kexec does not work in recent kernels.
>
> I tried both kexec and reboot in 2.6.38, and it worked ok. Maybe config
> issue?

By "does not work", what is the behavior?

* Re: reboot/kexec in 2.6.38
@ 2011-03-17 12:58     ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-03-17 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Miao
  Cc: Pavel Machek, rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, arminlitzel,
	thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov, omegamoon, utx,
	zaurus-devel, Marek Vasut

Hi!
> > I got report that  reboot/kexec does not work in recent kernels.
> >
> > I tried both kexec and reboot in 2.6.38, and it worked ok. Maybe
> > config issue?
>
> I think it's config issue. Never heard of this.

I've seen that on my zaurus a month or two ago. When kexeced to pxa-linux-2.6
then tried to kexec again. The last thing I've seen was Bye on the framebuffer
console and the machine freezed.

--
metan

* reboot/kexec in 2.6.38
@ 2011-03-17 12:58     ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-03-17 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2011-03-17 17:07       ` Eric W. Biederman
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2011-03-17 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: Eric Miao, Pavel Machek, rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, arminlitzel,

Cyril Hrubis <metan@ucw.cz> writes:

> Hi!
>> > I got report that  reboot/kexec does not work in recent kernels.
>> >
>> > I tried both kexec and reboot in 2.6.38, and it worked ok. Maybe
>> > config issue?
>>
>> I think it's config issue. Never heard of this.
>>

> I've seen that on my zaurus a month or two ago. When kexeced to pxa-linux-2.6
> then tried to kexec again. The last thing I've seen was Bye on the framebuffer
> console and the machine freezed.

The basic kexec code has been stable and solid for a long time so kexec
failures are almost always hardware interaction problems.

Someone not stopping dma, or someone not putting the hardware in a state
that the next kernel can figure out how to initialize it.

Eric

From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2011-03-17 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

@ 2011-03-22 13:30     ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-03-22 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Miao
  Cc: Pavel Machek, rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, arminlitzel,
	thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov, omegamoon, utx,
	zaurus-devel, Marek Vasut

Hi!
> I think it's config issue. Never heard of this.

I've just compiled and booted 2.6.38. The kernel boots without problems when
flashed in. But I've had no success with kexec, the last lines I see are:

Starting new kernel
Bye!
_

Any ides where to dig?

--
metan

* reboot/kexec in 2.6.38
@ 2011-03-22 13:30     ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-03-22 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi!

@ 2011-03-25 20:49       ` Eric W. Biederman
From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2011-03-25 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: Eric Miao, Pavel Machek, rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, arminlitzel,
	thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov, omegamoon, utx,
	zaurus-devel, Marek Vasut, Kexec Mailing List

Cyril Hrubis <metan@ucw.cz> writes:

> Hi!
>> I think it's config issue. Never heard of this.
>
> I've just compiled and booted 2.6.38. The kernel boots without problems when
> flashed in. But I've had no success with kexec, the last lines I see are:
>
> Starting new kernel

Enable early_printk to a serial port if you can.

There is definitely an issue in 2.6.38 where kdump doesn't work, that
right now looks like a memblock issue.

From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2011-03-25 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

From: Eric W. Biederman @ 2011-03-25 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: zaurus-devel, Eric Miao, Marek Vasut, dbaryshkov, arminlitzel,
	Kexec Mailing List, kernel list, utx, lenz, rpurdie, omegamoon,

@ 2011-04-12 14:43         ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-04-12 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric W. Biederman
  Cc: Eric Miao, Pavel Machek, rpurdie, lenz, kernel list, arminlitzel,
	thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov, omegamoon, utx,
	zaurus-devel, Marek Vasut, Kexec Mailing List

Hi!
> >> I think it's config issue. Never heard of this.
> >
> > I've just compiled and booted 2.6.38. The kernel boots without problems when
> > flashed in. But I've had no success with kexec, the last lines I see are:
> >
> > Starting new kernel
>
> Enable early_printk to a serial port if you can.
>
> There is definitely an issue in 2.6.38 where kdump doesn't work, that
> right now looks like a memblock issue.

Finaly got time to solder serial adapter...

And now, after I configured kernel to print to both ttyS0 serial console and
tty0 the kexec started to work.

--
metan

* reboot/kexec in 2.6.38
@ 2011-04-12 14:43         ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-04-12 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

Hi!

From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-04-12 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric W. Biederman
  Cc: zaurus-devel, Eric Miao, Marek Vasut, dbaryshkov, arminlitzel,

@ 2011-04-12 14:46           ` Eric Miao
From: Eric Miao @ 2011-04-12 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: Eric W. Biederman, Pavel Machek, rpurdie, lenz, kernel list,
	arminlitzel, thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov,
	omegamoon, utx, zaurus-devel, Marek Vasut, Kexec Mailing List

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Cyril Hrubis <metan@ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hi!
>> >
>> > I've just compiled and booted 2.6.38. The kernel boots without problems when
>> > flashed in. But I've had no success with kexec, the last lines I see are:
>> >
>> > Starting new kernel
>>
>> Enable early_printk to a serial port if you can.
>>
>> There is definitely an issue in 2.6.38 where kdump doesn't work, that
>> right now looks like a memblock issue.
>
> Finaly got time to solder serial adapter...
>
> And now, after I configured kernel to print to both ttyS0 serial console and
> tty0 the kexec started to work.

Cool. Please help check why it didn't work, and see if we have something
broken.

> --
> metan

* reboot/kexec in 2.6.38
@ 2011-04-12 14:46           ` Eric Miao
From: Eric Miao @ 2011-04-12 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-arm-kernel

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Cyril Hrubis <metan@ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hi!
>> >
>> > I've just compiled and booted 2.6.38. The kernel boots without problems when
>> > flashed in. But I've had no success with kexec, the last lines I see are:
>> >
>> > Starting new kernel
>>
>> Enable early_printk to a serial port if you can.
>>
>> There is definitely an issue in 2.6.38 where kdump doesn't work, that
>> right now looks like a memblock issue.
>
> Finaly got time to solder serial adapter...
>
> And now, after I configured kernel to print to both ttyS0 serial console and
> tty0 the kexec started to work.

Cool. Please help check why it didn't work, and see if we have something
broken.

> --
> metan

* Re: reboot/kexec in 2.6.38
@ 2011-04-12 14:46           ` Eric Miao
From: Eric Miao @ 2011-04-12 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cyril Hrubis
  Cc: zaurus-devel, thommycheck, Marek Vasut, dbaryshkov, arminlitzel,
	Kexec Mailing List, kernel list, utx, lenz, rpurdie,
	Eric W. Biederman, Pavel Machek, linux-arm-kernel, omegamoon

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Cyril Hrubis <metan@ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hi!
>> >
>> > I've just compiled and booted 2.6.38. The kernel boots without problems when
>> > flashed in. But I've had no success with kexec, the last lines I see are:
>> >
>> > Starting new kernel
>>
>> Enable early_printk to a serial port if you can.
>>
>> There is definitely an issue in 2.6.38 where kdump doesn't work, that
>> right now looks like a memblock issue.
>
> Finaly got time to solder serial adapter...
>
> And now, after I configured kernel to print to both ttyS0 serial console and
> tty0 the kexec started to work.

Cool. Please help check why it didn't work, and see if we have something
broken.

> --
> metan

* Re: reboot/kexec in 2.6.38
  (?)
@ 2011-04-12 18:13             ` Cyril Hrubis
From: Cyril Hrubis @ 2011-04-12 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Miao
  Cc: Eric W. Biederman, Pavel Machek, rpurdie, lenz, kernel list,
	arminlitzel, thommycheck, linux-arm-kernel, dbaryshkov,
	omegamoon, utx, zaurus-devel, Marek Vasut, Kexec Mailing List

Hi!
> >> Enable early_printk to a serial port if you can.
> >>
> >> There is definitely an issue in 2.6.38 where kdump doesn't work, that
> >> right now looks like a memblock issue.
> >
> > Finaly got time to solder serial adapter...
> >
> > And now, after I configured kernel to print to both ttyS0 serial console and
> > tty0 the kexec started to work.
>
> Cool. Please help check why it didn't work, and see if we have something
> broken.

Hmm, It seems to work now (I've changed the config slightly meanwhile and now
I've been unable to trigger the bug).

Note to myself: save configs that trigger strange behavior.

--
metan

* reboot/kexec in 2.6.38
@ 2011-04-12 18:13             ` Cyril Hrubis