* [U-Boot] U-Boot mini-summit at ELCE 2013 in Edinburgh - call for participation!
@ 2013-03-21 16:51 Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2013-03-21 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi fellow U-Boot developers,

people meeting us at our booth at the Embedded World trade show in
N?rnberg this year may already have heard rumours about it but now it is
official - there will be an U-Boot mini-summit at the Emdedd Linux
Conference Europe in Edinburgh, UK [1].

Thanks to the wonderful people at the Linux Foundation, we will have
some space in the afternoon of thursday 24th that we can use to present
and discuss topics of interest for the immediate future of the project.

Currently we believe that it makes sense to plan for 4-5 short talks in
the range of 20-30 minutes with following Q&A.  The audience will very
likely be "tech level" and the presentations are thus allowed to have
"indecent technical content" :)

Of course everybody is invited to suggest a presentation, but an
informal poll turned up these topics of interest:

- Driver model
- Kconfig
- Patman tutorial
- U-Boot configuration through device tree
- Falcon boot for everybody
- DFU
- Android fastboot

The organization of the mini-summit is up to our discretion and thus
somewhat less formal than the "regular" ELCE tracks, but we would like
to encourage people to also submit U-Boot related talks through the
regular CFP[2] if they are of wide interest.

Having agreed on our schedule, we will be able to get it included in the
official conference schedule and thus hopefully get a broader
visibility.  To make this work we should finalize our schedule around
the end of the official CFP which is July 21st, but of course the
sooner, the better.

Please inform us if you would like to attend in order to get an idea
of the expected presence.  If neccessary we will have to look for a
larger place early on.

Next to the official program I'm sure that we will be able to find a
place in the evening to taste local culinary specialities (in solid and
liquid form), so be sure to book your return flight no sooner than
friday evening ;)

Thanks
  Detlev

[1] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe
[2] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe/cfp

--
The only thing worse than generalizing from one example is generalizing
from no examples at all.

* [U-Boot] U-Boot mini-summit at ELCE 2013 in Edinburgh - call for participation!
@ 2013-08-08  9:24 ` Wolfgang Denk
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2013-08-08  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello all,

I think we should bring the upcoming U-Boot mini-summit in Edinburgh
back to attention - it's still more than two months, so no reason to
panic yet, but as we all know, time flies like an arrow...

In message <m2ehf8ofw5.fsf@lamuella.denx.de> Detlev Zundel wrote:

> Hi fellow U-Boot developers,
>
> people meeting us at our booth at the Embedded World trade show in
> N?rnberg this year may already have heard rumours about it but now it is
> official - there will be an U-Boot mini-summit at the Emdedd Linux
> Conference Europe in Edinburgh, UK [1].
>
> Thanks to the wonderful people at the Linux Foundation, we will have
> some space in the afternoon of thursday 24th that we can use to present
> and discuss topics of interest for the immediate future of the project.
>
> Currently we believe that it makes sense to plan for 4-5 short talks in
> the range of 20-30 minutes with following Q&A.  The audience will very
> likely be "tech level" and the presentations are thus allowed to have
> "indecent technical content" :)
>
> Of course everybody is invited to suggest a presentation, but an
> informal poll turned up these topics of interest:
>
> - Driver model
> - Kconfig
> - Patman tutorial
> - U-Boot configuration through device tree
> - Falcon boot for everybody
> - DFU
> - Android fastboot
>
> The organization of the mini-summit is up to our discretion and thus
> somewhat less formal than the "regular" ELCE tracks, but we would like
> to encourage people to also submit U-Boot related talks through the
> regular CFP[2] if they are of wide interest.
>
> Having agreed on our schedule, we will be able to get it included in the
> official conference schedule and thus hopefully get a broader
> visibility.  To make this work we should finalize our schedule around
> the end of the official CFP which is July 21st, but of course the
> sooner, the better.
>
> Please inform us if you would like to attend in order to get an idea
> of the expected presence.  If neccessary we will have to look for a
> larger place early on.
>
> Next to the official program I'm sure that we will be able to find a
> place in the evening to taste local culinary specialities (in solid and
> liquid form), so be sure to book your return flight no sooner than
> friday evening ;)
>
> Thanks
>   Detlev
>
> [1] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe
> [2] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe/cfp

The deadline for the CFP has expired - did any of you actually submit
a presentation?

In any case, if you intend do give a presentation, could you please
ASAP send a short summary (title and abstract) to at least Tom,
Detlev and me, optionally also to the mailing list (recommended) ?

FYI: DENX will be present with the following engineers: Anatolij
Gustschin, Detlev Zundel, Gerhard Sittig, Heiko Schocher, Marek Vasut,
Pavel Machek, Stefan Roese, Stefano Babic, and myself.  We will arrive
on Wednesday afternoon.  Anatolij, Heiko, Stefan and me will depart on
Friday, the rest on Saturday.  We wil stay at the Hilton Edinburgh
Grosvenor hotel, Grosvenor Street.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Quote from the Boss... "I didn't say it was your fault.  I said I was
going to blame it on you."

* [U-Boot] U-Boot mini-summit at ELCE 2013 in Edinburgh - call for participation!
@ 2013-08-09 13:08   ` Tom Rini
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tom Rini @ 2013-08-09 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 11:24:58AM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> [...]
> > larger place early on.
> >
> > Next to the official program I'm sure that we will be able to find a
> > place in the evening to taste local culinary specialities (in solid and
> > liquid form), so be sure to book your return flight no sooner than
> > friday evening ;)
> >
> > Thanks
> >   Detlev
> >
> > [1] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe
> > [2] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe/cfp
>
> The deadline for the CFP has expired - did any of you actually submit
> a presentation?
>
> In any case, if you intend do give a presentation, could you please
> ASAP send a short summary (title and abstract) to at least Tom,
> Detlev and me, optionally also to the mailing list (recommended) ?

I'll be giving a presentation called Redundant booting with U-Boot (or:
Welcome to the redundancy theatre playhouse) that will cover the
redundancy features we've had practically for forever (but are now
enabled more often in stock configs) as well as some ideas I've had
kicking around my head for a while and now have to go and implement.

--
Tom
* [U-Boot] U-Boot mini-summit at ELCE 2013 in Edinburgh - call for participation!
@ 2013-08-09 18:58     ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2013-08-09 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Tom Rini <trini@ti.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 11:24:58AM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> I think we should bring the upcoming U-Boot mini-summit in Edinburgh
>> back to attention - it's still more than two months, so no reason to
>> panic yet, but as we all know, time flies like an arrow...
> I'll be giving a presentation called Redundant booting with U-Boot (or:
> Welcome to the redundancy theatre playhouse) that will cover the
> redundancy features we've had practically for forever (but are now
> enabled more often in stock configs) as well as some ideas I've had
> kicking around my head for a while and now have to go and implement.

I wish I could go :-( arrg!

http://www.ossystems.com.br        http://projetos.ossystems.com.br

* [U-Boot] U-Boot mini-summit at ELCE 2013 in Edinburgh - call for participation!
@ 2013-08-09 20:31       ` Michael Trimarchi
From: Michael Trimarchi @ 2013-08-09 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi

Il giorno 09/ago/2013 20:58, "Otavio Salvador" <otavio@ossystems.com.br> ha
scritto:

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Tom Rini <trini@ti.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 11:24:58AM +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> >> I think we should bring the upcoming U-Boot mini-summit in Edinburgh
> >> back to attention - it's still more than two months, so no reason to
> >> panic yet, but as we all know, time flies like an arrow...
> > I'll be giving a presentation called Redundant booting with U-Boot (or:
> > Welcome to the redundancy theatre playhouse) that will cover the
> > redundancy features we've had practically for forever (but are now
> > enabled more often in stock configs) as well as some ideas I've had
> > kicking around my head for a while and now have to go and implement.
>
> I wish I could go :-( arrg!

Edinburgh is a nice city. I will be there with my tribe :D. Marek will be
happy.

Michael

@ 2013-08-26 19:43   ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2013-08-26 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Thu, 2013-08-08 at 11:24 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I think we should bring the upcoming U-Boot mini-summit in Edinburgh
> back to attention - it's still more than two months, so no reason to
> panic yet, but as we all know, time flies like an arrow...
>
> In message <m2ehf8ofw5.fsf@lamuella.denx.de> Detlev Zundel wrote:
>
> > Hi fellow U-Boot developers,
> >
> > people meeting us at our booth at the Embedded World trade show in
> > N?rnberg this year may already have heard rumours about it but now it is
> > official - there will be an U-Boot mini-summit at the Emdedd Linux
> > Conference Europe in Edinburgh, UK [1].
> >
> > Thanks to the wonderful people at the Linux Foundation, we will have
> > some space in the afternoon of thursday 24th that we can use to present
> > and discuss topics of interest for the immediate future of the project.
> >
> > Currently we believe that it makes sense to plan for 4-5 short talks in
> > the range of 20-30 minutes with following Q&A.  The audience will very
> > likely be "tech level" and the presentations are thus allowed to have
> > "indecent technical content" :)
> >
> > Of course everybody is invited to suggest a presentation, but an
> > informal poll turned up these topics of interest:
> >
> > - Driver model
> > - Kconfig
> > - Patman tutorial
> > - U-Boot configuration through device tree
> > - Falcon boot for everybody
> > - DFU
> > - Android fastboot
> >
> > The organization of the mini-summit is up to our discretion and thus
> > somewhat less formal than the "regular" ELCE tracks, but we would like
> > to encourage people to also submit U-Boot related talks through the
> > regular CFP[2] if they are of wide interest.
> >
> > Having agreed on our schedule, we will be able to get it included in the
> > official conference schedule and thus hopefully get a broader
> > visibility.  To make this work we should finalize our schedule around
> > the end of the official CFP which is July 21st, but of course the
> > sooner, the better.
> >
> > Please inform us if you would like to attend in order to get an idea
> > of the expected presence.  If neccessary we will have to look for a
> > larger place early on.

I'll be there.

-Scott

* [U-Boot] U-Boot mini-summit at ELCE 2013 in Edinburgh - call for participation!
@ 2013-08-27  9:05     ` Jagan Teki
From: Jagan Teki @ 2013-08-27  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM, Scott Wood <scottwood@freescale.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-08-08 at 11:24 +0200, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I think we should bring the upcoming U-Boot mini-summit in Edinburgh
>> back to attention - it's still more than two months, so no reason to
>> panic yet, but as we all know, time flies like an arrow...
>>
>> In message <m2ehf8ofw5.fsf@lamuella.denx.de> Detlev Zundel wrote:
>>
>> > Hi fellow U-Boot developers,
>> >
>> > people meeting us at our booth at the Embedded World trade show in
>> > N?rnberg this year may already have heard rumours about it but now it is
>> > official - there will be an U-Boot mini-summit at the Emdedd Linux
>> > Conference Europe in Edinburgh, UK [1].
>> >
>> > Thanks to the wonderful people at the Linux Foundation, we will have
>> > some space in the afternoon of thursday 24th that we can use to present
>> > and discuss topics of interest for the immediate future of the project.
>> >
>> > Currently we believe that it makes sense to plan for 4-5 short talks in
>> > the range of 20-30 minutes with following Q&A.  The audience will very
>> > likely be "tech level" and the presentations are thus allowed to have
>> > "indecent technical content" :)
>> >
>> > Of course everybody is invited to suggest a presentation, but an
>> > informal poll turned up these topics of interest:
>> >
>> > - Driver model
>> > - Kconfig
>> > - Patman tutorial
>> > - U-Boot configuration through device tree
>> > - Falcon boot for everybody
>> > - DFU
>> > - Android fastboot
>> >
>> > The organization of the mini-summit is up to our discretion and thus
>> > somewhat less formal than the "regular" ELCE tracks, but we would like
>> > to encourage people to also submit U-Boot related talks through the
>> > regular CFP[2] if they are of wide interest.
>> >
>> > Having agreed on our schedule, we will be able to get it included in the
>> > official conference schedule and thus hopefully get a broader
>> > visibility.  To make this work we should finalize our schedule around
>> > the end of the official CFP which is July 21st, but of course the
>> > sooner, the better.
>> >
>> > Please inform us if you would like to attend in order to get an idea
>> > of the expected presence.  If neccessary we will have to look for a
>> > larger place early on.

Was all topics covered by a respective developer(speaker) are finalized?
Can any one point out the details for these, if possible.

Jagan.

* [U-Boot] U-Boot mini-summit at ELCE 2013 in Edinburgh - call for participation!
@ 2013-08-27  9:39   ` Michal Simek
From: Michal Simek @ 2013-08-27  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

> [...]
>>   Detlev
>>
>> [1] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe
>> [2] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe/cfp
>
> The deadline for the CFP has expired - did any of you actually submit
> a presentation?
>
> In any case, if you intend do give a presentation, could you please
> ASAP send a short summary (title and abstract) to at least Tom,
> Detlev and me, optionally also to the mailing list (recommended) ?
>

> FYI: DENX will be present with the following engineers: Anatolij
> Gustschin, Detlev Zundel, Gerhard Sittig, Heiko Schocher, Marek Vasut,
> Pavel Machek, Stefan Roese, Stefano Babic, and myself.  We will arrive
> on Wednesday afternoon.  Anatolij, Heiko, Stefan and me will depart on
> Friday, the rest on Saturday.  We wil stay at the Hilton Edinburgh

I should be there too. Will be there any specific room available for u-boot mini summit?

I don't have any specific presentation but I am interested in
SPL for Microblaze and ARM Zynq platforms, device-tree U-Boot initialisation
and maybe others.

Thanks,
Michal

--
Michal Simek, Ing. (M.Eng), OpenPGP -> KeyID: FE3D1F91
w: www.monstr.eu p: +42-0-721842854

* [U-Boot] U-Boot mini-summit at ELCE 2013 in Edinburgh - call for participation!
@ 2013-08-27 12:16     ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2013-08-27 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 11:39:50AM +0200, Michal Simek wrote:
> [...]
> >> [2] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/embedded-linux-conference-europe/cfp
> >
> > The deadline for the CFP has expired - did any of you actually submit
> > a presentation?
> >
> > In any case, if you intend do give a presentation, could you please
> > ASAP send a short summary (title and abstract) to at least Tom,
> > Detlev and me, optionally also to the mailing list (recommended) ?
> >

> > FYI: DENX will be present with the following engineers: Anatolij
> > Gustschin, Detlev Zundel, Gerhard Sittig, Heiko Schocher, Marek Vasut,
> > Pavel Machek, Stefan Roese, Stefano Babic, and myself.  We will arrive
> > on Wednesday afternoon.  Anatolij, Heiko, Stefan and me will depart on
> > Friday, the rest on Saturday.  We wil stay at the Hilton Edinburgh
> > Grosvenor hotel, Grosvenor Street.
>
> I should be there too. Will be there any specific room available for

Yes, I do believe so.

> I don't have any specific presentation but I am interested in
> SPL for Microblaze and ARM Zynq platforms, device-tree U-Boot initialisation
> and maybe others.

Sounds good.  I'm not sure how the organization side of the summit is
being setup, but I imagine we'll be able to talk about those things.

--
Tom
* [U-Boot] U-Boot mini-summit at ELCE 2013 in Edinburgh - call for participation!
@ 2013-08-27 13:14       ` Jagan Teki
From: Jagan Teki @ 2013-08-27 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM, Tom Rini <trini@ti.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 11:39:50AM +0200, Michal Simek wrote:
>> Hi,

>> > The deadline for the CFP has expired - did any of you actually submit
>> > a presentation?
>> >
>> > In any case, if you intend do give a presentation, could you please
>> > ASAP send a short summary (title and abstract) to at least Tom,
>> > Detlev and me, optionally also to the mailing list (recommended) ?
>> >

>> > FYI: DENX will be present with the following engineers: Anatolij
>> > Gustschin, Detlev Zundel, Gerhard Sittig, Heiko Schocher, Marek Vasut,
>> > Pavel Machek, Stefan Roese, Stefano Babic, and myself.  We will arrive
>> > on Wednesday afternoon.  Anatolij, Heiko, Stefan and me will depart on
>> > Friday, the rest on Saturday.  We wil stay at the Hilton Edinburgh
>> > Grosvenor hotel, Grosvenor Street.
>>
>> I should be there too. Will be there any specific room available for
>> u-boot mini summit?
>
> Yes, I do believe so.
>
>> I don't have any specific presentation but I am interested in
>> SPL for Microblaze and ARM Zynq platforms, device-tree U-Boot initialisation
>> and maybe others.
>
> Sounds good.  I'm not sure how the organization side of the summit is
> being setup, but I imagine we'll be able to talk about those things.

Is there any link for about discussed topics with covered speakers, if
yes please pass.

Jagan.

* [U-Boot] U-Boot mini-summit at ELCE 2013 in Edinburgh - call for participation!
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2013-08-28  7:49   ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2013-08-28  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 3:24 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd@denx.de> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I think we should bring the upcoming U-Boot mini-summit in Edinburgh
> back to attention - it's still more than two months, so no reason to
> panic yet, but as we all know, time flies like an arrow...

I will be there.

> In message <m2ehf8ofw5.fsf@lamuella.denx.de> Detlev Zundel wrote:
>
>> Hi fellow U-Boot developers,
>>
>> people meeting us at our booth at the Embedded World trade show in
>> N?rnberg this year may already have heard rumours about it but now it is
>> official - there will be an U-Boot mini-summit at the Emdedd Linux
>> Conference Europe in Edinburgh, UK [1].
>>
>> Thanks to the wonderful people at the Linux Foundation, we will have
>> some space in the afternoon of thursday 24th that we can use to present
>> and discuss topics of interest for the immediate future of the project.
>>
>> Currently we believe that it makes sense to plan for 4-5 short talks in
>> the range of 20-30 minutes with following Q&A.  The audience will very
>> likely be "tech level" and the presentations are thus allowed to have
>> "indecent technical content" :)
>>
>> Of course everybody is invited to suggest a presentation, but an
>> informal poll turned up these topics of interest:
>>
>> - Driver model
>> - Kconfig
>> - Patman tutorial
>> - U-Boot configuration through device tree
>> - Falcon boot for everybody
>> - DFU
>> - Android fastboot

I can talk about some of these, well the first four anyway (although
there is not much to say about Kconfig yet). It depends on the
interest level, etc.

Regards,
Simon

* [U-Boot] U-Boot mini-summit at ELCE 2013 in Edinburgh - call for participation!
@ 2013-09-03 18:04 ` Jagan Teki
From: Jagan Teki @ 2013-09-03 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Detlev Zundel <dzu@denx.de> wrote:
> Hi fellow U-Boot developers,
>
> people meeting us at our booth at the Embedded World trade show in
> N?rnberg this year may already have heard rumours about it but now it is
> official - there will be an U-Boot mini-summit at the Emdedd Linux
> Conference Europe in Edinburgh, UK [1].

I am planning to attend...!!

> Thanks to the wonderful people at the Linux Foundation, we will have
> some space in the afternoon of thursday 24th that we can use to present
> and discuss topics of interest for the immediate future of the project.
>
> Currently we believe that it makes sense to plan for 4-5 short talks in
> the range of 20-30 minutes with following Q&A.  The audience will very
> likely be "tech level" and the presentations are thus allowed to have
> "indecent technical content" :)
>
> Of course everybody is invited to suggest a presentation, but an
> informal poll turned up these topics of interest:
>
> - Driver model
> - Kconfig
> - Patman tutorial
> - U-Boot configuration through device tree
> - Falcon boot for everybody
> - DFU
> - Android fastboot

Does anyone occupied "Android fastboot"?
Is there any list that shows topics vs speakers?, if so please share.

Jagan.

* [U-Boot] U-Boot mini-summit at ELCE 2013 in Edinburgh - call for participation!
@ 2013-09-10 15:34         ` Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2013-09-10 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi all,

having also resumed from my holidays, I'd like to formalize the plans on
our meeting.  Thanks for the responses so far.

>>> I should be there too. Will be there any specific room available for
>>> u-boot mini summit?
>>
>> Yes, I do believe so.

We currently have our meeting scheduled for Thursday, October 24th from
1-5pm.  We will have a room secured to hold 40 attendees with a screen
and projector.  Judging from the current feedback, this should be enough
;)

If we come up with am agenda, the Linux Foundation will publish it
beforehand and so hopefully give us more publicity, so this is what we
currently should aim for.

* [U-Boot] U-Boot mini-summit at ELCE 2013 in Edinburgh - call for participation!
@ 2013-09-12  8:33   ` Detlev Zundel
From: Detlev Zundel @ 2013-09-12  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Jagan,

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Detlev Zundel <dzu@denx.de> wrote:
>> Hi fellow U-Boot developers,
>>
>> people meeting us at our booth at the Embedded World trade show in
>> N?rnberg this year may already have heard rumours about it but now it is
>> official - there will be an U-Boot mini-summit at the Emdedd Linux
>> Conference Europe in Edinburgh, UK [1].
>
> I am planning to attend...!!

Excellent, I added you to the wiki page[1].

[...]

>> Of course everybody is invited to suggest a presentation, but an
>> informal poll turned up these topics of interest:
>>
>> - Driver model
>> - Kconfig
>> - Patman tutorial
>> - U-Boot configuration through device tree
>> - Falcon boot for everybody
>> - DFU
>> - Android fastboot
>
> Does anyone occupied "Android fastboot"?

It seems you just did that ;)

> Is there any list that shows topics vs speakers?, if so please share.

See the wiki page.

Thanks
  Detlev

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/MiniSummitELCE2013

--
Greenspun's Tenth Rule of Programming: "Any sufficiently complicated C
or Fortran program contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified bug-ridden