* git check out file time
@ 2010-08-07  4:54 Tong Sun
From: Tong Sun @ 2010-08-07  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

Quick Q, is it possible to keep the original file time from the git
server when checking out / cloning a local repo?

When I did

 git clone git://git.remote...

All my local git files are set to the check out time.

Please help and CC me when replying.

Thanks

* Re: git check out file time
@ 2010-08-07 13:46 ` Jakub Narebski
From: Jakub Narebski @ 2010-08-07 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tong Sun; +Cc: git

Tong Sun <suntong001@gmail.com> writes:

> Quick Q, is it possible to keep the original file time from the git
> server when checking out / cloning a local repo?
>
> When I did
>
>  git clone git://git.remote...
>
> All my local git files are set to the check out time.
>
> Please help and CC me when replying.

Only with third-party extra tools such as Metastore (or etckeeper that
uses it), or git-cache-meta (or IsiSetup), see
  https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Interfaces,_frontends,_and_tools

Git itself doesn't store original file time, and with its intended use
it would screw up mtime-based make rebuilding.

HTH
--
Jakub Narebski
Poland