* New setup, trying to clone . . .
@ 2011-09-16  6:59 Joshua Stoutenburg
From: Joshua Stoutenburg @ 2011-09-16  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Git List

Hey guys,

I'm following these instructions:  http://progit.org/book/ch4-4.html

Everything has gone fine up until about halfway down the page, where it says:

>  At this point, the others can clone it down and push changes back up just as easily:
>  $ git clone git@gitserver:/opt/git/project.git

Of course, replacing [git@gitserver:/opt/git/project.git] according to
my setup, and I change directory to an empty directory apart from the
original project, then I try the command, I get the following output:

At this point, the others can clone it down and push changes back up
just as easily:

$ git clone gituser@192.168.1.102:/git/project.git
Cloning into project...
Connection closed by 192.168.1.102

Any ideas what's going on here?

* Re: New setup, trying to clone . . .
@ 2011-09-16  8:29 ` Jakub Narebski
From: Jakub Narebski @ 2011-09-16  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Stoutenburg; +Cc: Git List

Joshua Stoutenburg <jehoshua02@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm following these instructions:  http://progit.org/book/ch4-4.html
>
> Everything has gone fine up until about halfway down the page, where it says:
>
> >  At this point, the others can clone it down and push changes back up just as easily:
> >  $ git clone git@gitserver:/opt/git/project.git
>
> Of course, replacing [git@gitserver:/opt/git/project.git] according to
> my setup, and I change directory to an empty directory apart from the
> original project, then I try the command, I get the following output:
>
> At this point, the others can clone it down and push changes back up
> just as easily:
>
> $ git clone gituser@192.168.1.102:/git/project.git
> Cloning into project...
> Connection closed by 192.168.1.102
>
> Any ideas what's going on here?

Note that 'gituser@192.168.1.102:/git/project.git' is an SSH URL.

There are two possible issues:

1. The path to repository is incorrect.

   If you are on the same machine as server, you can try cloning (or
   just 'git ls-remote') with a local path:

      git clone /git/project.git

   or

      git clone file:///git/project.git

2. The SSH setup is not correct: either SSH daemon is not started, or
   there is no 'gituser' account, or 'gituser' account doesn't have
   access to /git/project.git

   You can check first two with

      ssh gituser@192.168.1.102 echo Hello

HTH