* How to Enable Hyper Threading?
@ 2003-03-20  0:26 Terrence Martin
From: Terrence Martin @ 2003-03-20  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have the following system running a downloaded and custom compiled
kernel 2.4.20 from kernel.org with SMP enabled.

Intel E7205 Chipset Asus P4G8X Motherboard (533Mhz FSB)
400Mhz DDR RAM
Intel P4 3.06Ghz HT Processor

At the bios screen I get a message that tells me I have two processors in
the system. Also the BIOS does have HT enabled, and the APIC interupts are
enabled.

However when I boot linux I get a message telling me the motherboard does
not support SMP and top never reports more than 1 cpu.

"SMP Motherboard not detected"

/proc/cpuinfo only reports a single CPU as does top. The HT in the Xeon
systems I have reports 2 "virtual" cpu's per physical CPU.

Is this motherboard not support for HT in the kernel? Is there something
else I need to enable to get HT to work with the P4 3.06Ghz chip on this
MB?

Thanks in advance,

Terrence

* Re: How to Enable Hyper Threading?
@ 2003-03-20  0:47 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-03-20  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Terrence Martin <twm139@its.to> writes:

> Intel E7205 Chipset Asus P4G8X Motherboard (533Mhz FSB)

[...]

> /proc/cpuinfo only reports a single CPU as does top.

I had similar problems with a different Asus P4 (i850) motherboard.
After I applied the ACPI patches from
working as it should.