* [LARTC] Why this stupid ingress tc does not work ?
@ 2002-06-12 23:22 ludo
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: ludo @ 2002-06-12 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hi !

I wanted to shape my analog modem connection so I took these two lines
from the 'wondershaper' script:

tc qdisc add dev $DEV handle ffff: ingress

#tc filter add dev $DEV parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 u32 match ip
\ src 0.0.0.0/0 police rate ${DOWNLINK} burst 10k drop flowid :1

with DEV=ppp0 and DOWNLINK$kbit.
But, when I activate it, nothing comes back from the web, no ping.

'tc -s qdisc' gives:

qdisc ingress ffff: dev ppp0 ----------------
 Sent 0 bytes 0 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)

I can see the packets or ping replies with a tcpdump -i ppp0
but the packets do not seem to reach applications !

I run kernel 2.4.18... what's the problem ?

Cheers,

  Ludovic Drolez.

* Re: [LARTC] Why this stupid ingress tc does not work ?
@ 2002-06-13  7:49 ` Jan Coppens
From: Jan Coppens @ 2002-06-13  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

> I wanted to shape my analog modem connection so I took these two lines
> from the 'wondershaper' script:
>
> tc qdisc add dev $DEV handle ffff: ingress
>

> #tc filter add dev $DEV parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 u32 match ip
> \ src 0.0.0.0/0 police rate ${DOWNLINK} burst 10k drop flowid :1
>

> with DEV=ppp0 and DOWNLINK$kbit.
> But, when I activate it, nothing comes back from the web, no ping.
>
> 'tc -s qdisc' gives:
>
> qdisc ingress ffff: dev ppp0 ----------------
>  Sent 0 bytes 0 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)

In fact, the qdisc does work, only the output of the byte and packet count
is not implemented I guess.

Cheers,
Jan

@ 2002-06-13 11:24 ` Tadas
From: Tadas @ 2002-06-13 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hi,

I suggest you to use IMQ device. This makes possible to shape & queue
incomiong trafic.

Bye,
Tadas

Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 09:49:46AM +0200, Jan Coppens raðë:

@ 2002-06-14  7:38 ` Ludovic Drolez
From: Ludovic Drolez @ 2002-06-14  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

 > In fact, the qdisc does work, only the output of the byte and packet
count
 > is not implemented I guess.

Ok but, in the previous example, the qdisc does not seem to work...
I do not see packets going back to the ppp0 interface !

Weird, since these lines are taken from the wondershaper script...

Any idea ? TC does not work with analog modems ?

--
Ludovic DROLEZ                                       Free&ALter Soft
152, rue de Grigy - Technopole Metz 2000                  57070 METZ