* [LARTC] Priority Queueing on Linux
@ 2002-07-09  3:53 Patrick Chan
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Patrick Chan @ 2002-07-09  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

There is priority queueing in Cisco router.

Is there any equivalent implementation for TC on Linux?

If yes, how can I configure and can you give me example?
Thx.

* Re: [LARTC] Priority Queueing on Linux
@ 2002-07-09  9:46 ` bert hubert
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: bert hubert @ 2002-07-09  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 12:02:40PM +0800, Patrick Chan wrote:
> There is priority queueing in Cisco router.
>
> Is there any equivalent implementation for TC on Linux?
>
> If yes, how can I configure and can you give me example?

Please dig up a link so we can see what 'priority queueing' actually *is*.
But I bet that tc has it.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services
http://www.tk                              the dot in .tk

* Re: [LARTC] Priority Queueing on Linux
@ 2002-07-09 13:19 ` Michael T. Babcock
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael T. Babcock @ 2002-07-09 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

bert hubert wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 12:02:40PM +0800, Patrick Chan wrote:
>

>>There is priority queueing in Cisco router.
>>

>Please dig up a link so we can see what 'priority queueing' actually *is*.
>But I bet that tc has it.

I can almost guarantee Patrick is asking about diffserv support.
--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.

* Re: [LARTC] Priority Queueing on Linux
@ 2002-07-10  7:54 ` Anton Yurchenko
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Anton Yurchenko @ 2002-07-10  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Michael T. Babcock wrote:

> bert hubert wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 12:02:40PM +0800, Patrick Chan wrote:
>>

>>> There is priority queueing in Cisco router.
>>>

>> Please dig up a link so we can see what 'priority queueing' actually
>> *is*.
>> But I bet that tc has it.
>>
> I can almost guarantee Patrick is asking about diffserv support.

nope, here it is.
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/qos_c/qcprt2/qcdconmg.htm#23965

--

Anton Yurchenko<phila@dg.net.ua>
Digital Generation

* Re: [LARTC] Priority Queueing on Linux
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-07-10  8:21 ` Martin Devera
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Martin Devera @ 2002-07-10  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

it is the same as PRIO queue in linux tc.
devik

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, bert hubert wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 12:02:40PM +0800, Patrick Chan wrote:
> > There is priority queueing in Cisco router.
> >
> > Is there any equivalent implementation for TC on Linux?
> >
> > If yes, how can I configure and can you give me example?
>
> Please dig up a link so we can see what 'priority queueing' actually *is*.
> But I bet that tc has it.
>
> Regards,
>
> bert
>
> --
> http://www.PowerDNS.com          Versatile DNS Software & Services
> http://www.tk                              the dot in .tk
> http://lartc.org           Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO

* Re: [LARTC] Priority Queueing on Linux
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-07-10  8:53 ` Patrick Chan
From: Patrick Chan @ 2002-07-10  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Below is the explanation of priority queueing
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/qos.htm#xtocid22

I am developing a linux router.
There is both data and voice traffic passed thru it.

When I use priority queueing on Cisco router,
the voice quality is good, evening downloading a large file.

But I use the following tc config, the voice quality is not smooth
when downloading a large file:

tc qdisc add dev ppp0 root handle 10: cbq bandwidth 112Kbit avpkt 1000
tc class add dev ppp0 parent 10:0 classid 10:100 cbq bandwidth 112Kbit rate
57Kb
it allot 1514 weight 5Kbit prio 2 maxburst 20 avpkt 1000 isolated
tc class add dev ppp0 parent 10:0 classid 10:200 cbq bandwidth 112Kbit rate
55Kb
it allot 1514 weight 5Kbit prio 8 maxburst 20 avpkt 1000 bounded
tc qdisc add dev ppp0 parent 10:100 sfq quantum 1514b perturb 15
tc qdisc add dev ppp0 parent 10:200 sfq quantum 1514b perturb 15
tc filter add dev ppp0 parent 10:0 protocol ip prio 2 u32 match ip tos 0x8
0xff
flowid 10:100
tc filter add dev ppp0 parent 10:0 protocol ip prio 8 u32 match ip tos 0x00
0xff
 flowid 10:200

voice packet is tagged with 0x8 in TOS field.
Voice traffic only uses 34K bandwidth. So the bandwidth allocated
to voice is enough.
Is there any better tc config?

----------------------
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:46:58 +0200
From: bert hubert <ahu@ds9a.nl>
To: lartc@mailman.ds9a.nl
Subject: Re: [LARTC] Priority Queueing on Linux

Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 09:19:11 -0400
From: "Michael T. Babcock" <mbabcock@fibrespeed.net>
To: lartc <lartc@mailman.ds9a.nl>

bert hubert wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 12:02:40PM +0800, Patrick Chan wrote:
>

>>There is priority queueing in Cisco router.
>>

>Please dig up a link so we can see what 'priority queueing' actually *is*.
>But I bet that tc has it.

I can almost guarantee Patrick is asking about diffserv support.
--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.

* Re: [LARTC] Priority Queueing on Linux
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-07-10 12:09 ` Michael T. Babcock
From: Michael T. Babcock @ 2002-07-10 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Anton Yurchenko wrote:

> nope, here it is.
> http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/qos_c/qcprt2/qcdconmg.htm#23965

 From the page (for those who don't follow links, or for the archives of
this list):
PQ [Priority Queuing] allows you to define how traffic is prioritized in
the network. You configure four traffic priorities. You can define a
series of filters based on packet characteristics to cause the router to
place traffic into these four queues; the queue with the highest
priority is serviced first until it is empty, then the lower queues are
serviced in sequence.
--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.

* RE: [LARTC] Priority Queueing on Linux
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-07-11  1:54 ` S Mohan
From: S Mohan @ 2002-07-11  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

You can use the prio options in qdisc and channel traffic thro'
different qdiscs. Another option is to set TOS marks and route to qdiscs
using the mark filters in u32 classifier.

Why don't you look up http://www.docum.net . Staf has a good site going.
I've benefitted from it.

Mohan