* [LARTC] ingress qdisc on kernel 2.2.21 with ds8 patch
@ 2002-07-10  6:57 Andrei Boros
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Andrei Boros @ 2002-07-10  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

 Since some other constraints require me to still run 2.2 kernel.
(drivers for some hardware not working under 2.4)

 I tried to control the ingress traffic with the ingress qdisc with no
success whatsoever.
 I got 2.2.21 kernel and installed the ds8 patch to have the ingress
qdisc too.
 Recompiled, installed kernel and modules.
 Recompiled tc with diffserv=y.

 I tried a setup very similar to the example Edge2:

ipchains -A input -p tcp -d 0/0 20 --mark 20
ipchains -A input -p tcp -d 0/0 21 --mark 20

tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle ffff: ingress

tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 handle 20 fw
police rate 256kbit burst 25k mtu 1.5k drop flowid :1

I tried uploading with a ftp client and there was no traffic limit
imposed on what my box received.

tc -s qdisc ls shows all counters as 0 (zero).

I looked around for this issue and managed to find exactly my problem
described in a forum at
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/11111/2001/5/0/5806401/ but the
message was unaswered there.

 If anyone has any suggestions, they are most welcome.

--
ing. Andrei Boros
mailto:andrei@srr.ro / +40-1-303-1870

* Re: [LARTC] ingress qdisc on kernel 2.2.21 with ds8 patch
@ 2002-07-11  3:48 ` Alexey Talikov
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Alexey Talikov @ 2002-07-11  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

May be you use ftp in passive mode, where port 20 not used

10.07.2002 11:57:48, Andrei Boros <andrei@srr.ro> wrote:

> Since some other constraints require me to still run 2.2 kernel.
>(drivers for some hardware not working under 2.4)
>
> I tried to control the ingress traffic with the ingress qdisc with no
>success whatsoever.
> I got 2.2.21 kernel and installed the ds8 patch to have the ingress
>qdisc too.
> Recompiled, installed kernel and modules.
> Recompiled tc with diffserv=y.
>
> I tried a setup very similar to the example Edge2:
>
>ipchains -A input -p tcp -d 0/0 20 --mark 20
>ipchains -A input -p tcp -d 0/0 21 --mark 20
>
>tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle ffff: ingress
>
>tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 handle 20 fw
>police rate 256kbit burst 25k mtu 1.5k drop flowid :1
>
>I tried uploading with a ftp client and there was no traffic limit
>imposed on what my box received.
>
>tc -s qdisc ls shows all counters as 0 (zero).
>
>I looked around for this issue and managed to find exactly my problem
>described in a forum at
>http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/11111/2001/5/0/5806401/ but the
>message was unaswered there.
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, they are most welcome.
>
>--
>ing. Andrei Boros
>mailto:andrei@srr.ro / +40-1-303-1870
>Centrul pt. Tehnologia Informatiei
>Societatea Romana de Radiodifuziune

-----------------------------------
mailto:alexey_talikov@texlab.com.uz
BR
Alexey Talikov
FORTEK

* Re: [LARTC] ingress qdisc on kernel 2.2.21 with ds8 patch
@ 2002-07-11  5:43 ` Andrei Boros
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrei Boros @ 2002-07-11  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Alexey Talikov wrote:

> May be you use ftp in passive mode, where port 20 not used

No, I set the client not to use passive mode, and confirmed it with
tcpdump. If it were a protocol/port specific thing I'd dig more in that
direction.
And the statistic counters are on zero at all times.
If it were passive mode, why didn't the ingress capture the ftp session
packets on port 21???

I even set firewall to mark everything and the filter directs it to
ingress. Nothing happened.

@ 2002-07-11 22:09 ` Julian Anastasov
From: Julian Anastasov @ 2002-07-11 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

	Hello,

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002, Andrei Boros wrote:

>  I tried to control the ingress traffic with the ingress qdisc with no
> success whatsoever.
>  I got 2.2.21 kernel and installed the ds8 patch to have the ingress
> qdisc too.

	You probably have to apply more fixes to be sure something
will not break. I just uploaded some fixes for the 2.2 code as
it appears nobody have the time to deal with it:

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/#qos-2.2

	To all: if there is a good place for such fixes please let
me know.

>  Recompiled, installed kernel and modules.
>  Recompiled tc with diffserv=y.
>
>  I tried a setup very similar to the example Edge2:

	Not "very similar" :) The bug is exactly in the
differences :)

	mark here is in decimal (may be can be hex with 0x20):

> ipchains -A input -p tcp -d 0/0 20 --mark 20
> ipchains -A input -p tcp -d 0/0 21 --mark 20
>
> tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle ffff: ingress

	"handle 20" here is in hex:

> tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 handle 20 fw
> police rate 256kbit burst 25k mtu 1.5k drop flowid :1

	if you somewhere use fwmark in ip rules, the fwmark
there is again in hex. Make sure all values match according
to their representation, i.e. 20 in dec is different from
20 in hex.

>  If anyone has any suggestions, they are most welcome.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@ssi.bg>

* Re: [LARTC] ingress qdisc on kernel 2.2.21 with ds8 patch
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-07-12  5:56 ` Andrei Boros
From: Andrei Boros @ 2002-07-12  5:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Julian Anastasov wrote:

>         You probably have to apply more fixes to be sure something
> will not break. I just uploaded some fixes for the 2.2 code as
> it appears nobody have the time to deal with it:
>
> http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/~julian/#qos-2.2

I'll try them asap.

>         To all: if there is a good place for such fixes please let
> me know.
>
> >  Recompiled, installed kernel and modules.
> >  Recompiled tc with diffserv=y.
> >
> >  I tried a setup very similar to the example Edge2:
>
>         Not "very similar" :) The bug is exactly in the
> differences :)

I also tried filtering using the u32 match ip dport ... same result.
I even tried u32 match ip (anything ip), same result.

>         mark here is in decimal (may be can be hex with 0x20):
>
> > ipchains -A input -p tcp -d 0/0 20 --mark 20
> > ipchains -A input -p tcp -d 0/0 21 --mark 20
> >
> > tc qdisc add dev eth0 handle ffff: ingress
>
>         "handle 20" here is in hex:
>
> > tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 50 handle 20 fw
> > police rate 256kbit burst 25k mtu 1.5k drop flowid :1
>
>         if you somewhere use fwmark in ip rules, the fwmark
> there is again in hex. Make sure all values match according
> to their representation, i.e. 20 in dec is different from
> 20 in hex.

Sorry. However, I don't know of any place where these differences are
explained clearly.

--
ing. Andrei Boros
mailto:andrei@srr.ro / +40-1-303-1870
Centrul pt. Tehnologia Informatiei
Societatea Romana de Radiodifuziune

* Re: [LARTC] ingress qdisc on kernel 2.2.21 with ds8 patch
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-07-12  6:46 ` Julian Anastasov
From: Julian Anastasov @ 2002-07-12  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

	Hello,

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Andrei Boros wrote:

> I also tried filtering using the u32 match ip dport ... same result.
> I even tried u32 match ip (anything ip), same result.

	This is another issue, may be for howto:12.1.2. Bert promised
to clarify them in the Howto:

http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2001q4/thread.html

Search for "tc: u32 match in nexthdr not working?"

	In short, dport and sport do not always match, eg.
for packets with IP Options. Try different examples. May be
your settings are incorrect.

> Sorry. However, I don't know of any place where these differences are
> explained clearly.

	Huh. I don't want to start new howto :)

Regards

--