* [LARTC] tools for traffic monitoring
@ 2003-01-21 18:23 Andreas Hasenack
                   ` (9 more replies)
From: Andreas Hasenack @ 2003-01-21 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hi all,

are there any tools (besides ntop) which you guys use to monitor
traffic, service by service?

mrtg is not enough, I want something that can show me traffic on
a service by service basis, and from/to which host. I guess
ntop is quite complete in this area, but is there anything else?

Thanks

* RE: [LARTC] tools for traffic monitoring
@ 2003-01-21 18:29 ` Meehan, Francois
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Meehan, Francois @ 2003-01-21 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

I really like iptraf (http://iptraf.seul.org/).  Simple, very convenient for
real-time stats.

are there any tools (besides ntop) which you guys use to monitor
traffic, service by service?

mrtg is not enough, I want something that can show me traffic on
a service by service basis, and from/to which host. I guess
ntop is quite complete in this area, but is there anything else?

Thanks

* Re: [LARTC] tools for traffic monitoring
@ 2003-01-21 18:42 ` Andreas Hasenack
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Hasenack @ 2003-01-21 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Em Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 01:29:27PM -0500, Meehan, Francois escreveu:
> I really like iptraf (http://iptraf.seul.org/).  Simple, very convenient for
> real-time stats.

Can it keep statistics as well? On file?

* RE: [LARTC] tools for traffic monitoring
@ 2003-01-21 19:03 ` Morten Isaksen
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Morten Isaksen @ 2003-01-21 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Check out http://wipl-wrr.sourceforge.net/wipl.html

--
Morten Isaksen
misak@aub.dk - http://www.aub.dk/~misak

                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-23 11:34 ` Serge Maandag
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Serge Maandag @ 2003-01-23 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

I must admit I've never seen a completly satisfying solution.
There are lots of building blocks out there, but few complete solutions.

- ntop with the rrdtool plugin should do nice.
- Netramet is great at accounting.
- flowscan reports netflow info through rrdtool graphics.
- Caida sums up a few solutions here:
http://www.caida.org/tools/taxonomy/workload.xml#realtimetraf

Serge Maandag

are there any tools (besides ntop) which you guys use to monitor
traffic, service by service?

mrtg is not enough, I want something that can show me traffic on
a service by service basis, and from/to which host. I guess
ntop is quite complete in this area, but is there anything else?

Thanks

* Re: [LARTC] tools for traffic monitoring
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-24  1:40 ` mingching.tiew
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: mingching.tiew @ 2003-01-24  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

I would be glad if someone could point me where can I get the traffic
data on Linux, preferrably on the '/proc' file system. Studying data
based on a device in total is not sufficient for me.

I would like to do a measurement of the qdisc's which I implemented to
check how effective they are, much like the author of HTB have
presented in his user guide.

Appreciate someone could point me where in the '/proc' file system where
these data could be gathered.

Rgds.
I must admit I've never seen a completly satisfying solution.
There are lots of building blocks out there, but few complete solutions.

- ntop with the rrdtool plugin should do nice.
- Netramet is great at accounting.
- flowscan reports netflow info through rrdtool graphics.
- Caida sums up a few solutions here:
http://www.caida.org/tools/taxonomy/workload.xml#realtimetraf

Serge Maandag

* Re: [LARTC] tools for traffic monitoring
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-24 17:37 ` Stef Coene
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Stef Coene @ 2003-01-24 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Friday 24 January 2003 02:40, mingching.tiew@redtone.com wrote:
> I would be glad if someone could point me where can I get the traffic
> data on Linux, preferrably on the '/proc' file system. Studying data
> based on a device in total is not sufficient for me.
>
> I would like to do a measurement of the qdisc's which I implemented to
> check how effective they are, much like the author of HTB have
> presented in his user guide.
I wrote some scripts for long term graphing and a script for real time
logging.  You can find them all on www.docum.org.  (gui : long term logging,
monitorl : real time monitoring).  They work fine for me.

> Appreciate someone could point me where in the '/proc' file system where
> these data could be gathered.
There is no tc interface for the /proc interface.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"

* Re: [LARTC] tools for traffic monitoring
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-25  2:20 ` Ming-Ching Tiew
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ming-Ching Tiew @ 2003-01-25  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

I would like to check it out but The download link is
not working, can be clicked !!!

> I wrote some scripts for long term graphing and a
script for real time
> logging.  You can find them all on www.docum.org.
(gui : long term
logging,
> monitorl : real time monitoring).  They work fine
for me.

* Re: [LARTC] tools for traffic monitoring
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-25  9:08 ` Stef Coene
From: Stef Coene @ 2003-01-25  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Saturday 25 January 2003 03:20, Ming-Ching Tiew wrote:
> I would like to check it out but The download link is
> not working, can be clicked !!!
Do you mean the download of the gui or something else?  I think I corrected
the problem.  Can you try again?

I have a problem with my ISP at home.  I downloaded too much and now I have a
limit bandwidth, 3kbyte/s or so :(.  So if you go to home.docum.org it can be
very slow. But www.docum.org should be fine.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"
     http://www.docum.org/
     #lartc @ irc.oftc.net

* Re: [LARTC] tools for traffic monitoring
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-27  1:38 ` mingching.tiew
From: mingching.tiew @ 2003-01-27  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Correct me if I am wrong, your idea of stats collection is based on
iptables. This is beautiful by itself as it is directly related to firewall
rules.
On the other hand, if one's purpose is to measure qdisc/classses,  wouldn't
it be better to use 'tc' , much like those explained in HTB user guide
chapter 7  ?

Examples, tc -s -d qdisc show dev eth0
                tc -s -d class show dev eth0
       etc.

In any case, whether is using tc or iptables, it will require a fork to
collect
results. If I need to run it continuously, any words of advise regarding
avoiding excess load ?

Regards.
> I wrote some scripts for long term graphing and a script for real time
> logging.  You can find them all on www.docum.org.  (gui : long term
logging,
> monitorl : real time monitoring).  They work fine for me.
>
> > Appreciate someone could point me where in the '/proc' file system where
> > these data could be gathered.
> There is no tc interface for the /proc interface.
>
> Stef
>
> --
>
> stef.coene@docum.org
>  "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"
>      http://www.docum.org/
>      #lartc @ irc.oftc.net

* Re: [LARTC] tools for traffic monitoring
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-01-27 18:15 ` Stef Coene
From: Stef Coene @ 2003-01-27 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Monday 27 January 2003 02:38, mingching.tiew@redtone.com wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong, your idea of stats collection is based on
> iptables. This is beautiful by itself as it is directly related to firewall
> rules.
> On the other hand, if one's purpose is to measure qdisc/classses,  wouldn't
> it be better to use 'tc' , much like those explained in HTB user guide
> chapter 7  ?
>
> Examples, tc -s -d qdisc show dev eth0
>                 tc -s -d class show dev eth0
>        etc.
>
> In any case, whether is using tc or iptables, it will require a fork to
> collect
> results. If I need to run it continuously, any words of advise regarding
> avoiding excess load ?
I have some scripts to do this.  I have a iptables and tc version.  I have a
scirpt I use to monitor the tc bandwidth and this executes the tc -s commands
each second.  And generates allmost no overhead.

Iptables can also be used to monitor traffic within a class to see if you have
to fine tune your htb setup.

Stef