* RE: [LARTC] HOW TO COMBINE 2 DSL LINES IN THE SAME COMPUTER
@ 2003-06-20  7:02 Trevor Warren
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Trevor Warren @ 2003-06-20  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hey pals...;)

 RTFM. Check the LARTC HOWTO on the following points:

4. Rules - routing policy database

        4.1. Simple source policy routing
        4.2. Routing for multiple uplinks/providers

                4.2.1. Split access
                4.2.2. Load balancing

Trevor

On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 23:38, José A. Calderón C. wrote:
> It would be wonderful if someone answer your question.
> Put it on the list please.

( >-    GNU/LINUX, It's all about CHOICE      -< )
/~\    __  trevor@clovertechnologies.com  __   /~\
|  \) /  Pre Sales Consultant - Red Hat     \ (/ |
|_|_  \    9820349221(M) | 22881326(O)      / _|_|
       \___________________________________/

* RE: [LARTC] HOW TO COMBINE 2 DSL LINES IN THE SAME COMPUTER
@ 2003-06-20  8:20 ` Trevor Warren
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Trevor Warren @ 2003-06-20  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

J,

 What i meant is...like in Linux you make use of the two external
connections and collate them as mentioned in the document. Can you try
keeping the Linux box in front of the two windowze boxen and collate the
two LAN connections coming from them as mentioned in the HOWTO???.

Trevor

--
( >-    GNU/LINUX, It's all about CHOICE      -< )
/~\    __  trevor@clovertechnologies.com  __   /~\
|  \) /  Pre Sales Consultant - Red Hat     \ (/ |
|_|_  \    9820349221(M) | 22881326(O)      / _|_|
       \___________________________________/

* [LARTC] HOW TO COMBINE 2 DSL LINES IN THE SAME COMPUTER
@ 2003-06-20 16:54 ` Tesla 13
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Tesla 13 @ 2003-06-20 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

[...]

@ 2003-06-20 18:08 ` José A. Calderón C.
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: José A. Calderón C. @ 2003-06-20 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

[...]

                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-20 18:32 ` Lucas Aimaretto
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lucas Aimaretto @ 2003-06-20 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

> I have 2 DSL lines on the same computer that gives me 2 different IP
>
> addresses on different subnets.
>
> 2M/256K: PPPoA
> 1M/256K: Classical IP over ATM
>
> How can I combine them (1M line and 2M line) together so that I
> would be able to use them at the same time to pull in at 3 mbits?

I think it would not be able to do it, since both links are not the
same speed. But please correct me. I think I am right, but I may not
be.

It is like when you want to do trunking on switches, that means,
combine 2 or more ports on a switch to get more bw available. If the
ports were not of the same speed, that would not be possible to
achieve. And of course, all the ports must be full duplex. The
technique is to send out data on a port at a time, in a known
sequence. If ports are not the same speed, data on "x" port would
arrive first than data on "y" port, being imposible to rearrenge
packets on the other end, is it clear?

And why being full duplex? Well, for the same reason. If ports are not
full duplex, then if you sent out data on port "x" but suddenly you
are receiving data on port "y", what you had to send on port "y" will
have to wait. But in that time, data is travelling across link "x",
and data sent out on port "x" will arrive without their "parent" data
which had to be sent thru port "y". Concluding, when data sent on port
"x" arrives to the other end, data that had to be sent on port "y"
will have not arrived yet.

I hope I was clear.

lucas

--
 ___
/\  \        __     __   _______     _____     _____

* Re: [LARTC] HOW TO COMBINE 2 DSL LINES IN THE SAME COMPUTER
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-20 19:28 ` Giannis Stoilis
From: Giannis Stoilis @ 2003-06-20 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Lucas Aimaretto wrote:
> It is like when you want to do trunking on switches, that means,
> combine 2 or more ports on a switch to get more bw available.

You must be referring to "bonding" or "EtherChannel". I have tried it in
linux. What you are saying can't work, becouse:
bonding, creates a seperate virtual network interface, which is the one
with the combined speed. THIS is the one you assign your IP to. The real
network interfaces aren't assigned any ip, they are used directly by the
bonding driver.
What is more, this technology cannot be used for connecting a single
computer to multiple networks. It is used to connect to another SINGLE
device, which uses the same technology.
The only way that I know of, is using BGP on BOTH sides of a routing
device, and set both metrics to the same value, for the default destination.
I am pretty sure that BGP is not offered by any provider here in Greece,
except if you a corporate customer, for example buying several megabits
of bandwidth, using a leased line.
Maybe linux's policy routing could do the task. But I haven't tried
anything even remotely similar.
A few month I asked my Cisco instructor for that same problem. He told
me that it CAN be done, but it SHOULDN'T be done, becouse it is not
stable, by design.

- Giannis Stoilis

* Re: [LARTC] HOW TO COMBINE 2 DSL LINES IN THE SAME COMPUTER
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-21 19:57 ` Steve Wright
From: Steve Wright @ 2003-06-21 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Tesla 13 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have 2 DSL lines on the same computer that gives me 2 different IP
> addresses on different subnets.
>
> 2M/256K: PPPoA
> 1M/256K: Classical IP over ATM
>
> How can I combine them (1M line and 2M line) together so that I would
> be able to use them at the same time to pull in at 3 mbits?

iproute2 will do this.  There is an example in the online Policy Routing
Book at policyrouting.org

/steve

* Re: [LARTC] HOW TO COMBINE 2 DSL LINES IN THE SAME COMPUTER
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-06-22 19:20 ` Lucas Aimaretto
From: Lucas Aimaretto @ 2003-06-22 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

El Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:28:57 +0300
Giannis Stoilis <giannis@stoilis.gr> escribio:

> Lucas Aimaretto wrote:
> > It is like when you want to do trunking on switches, that means,
> > combine 2 or more ports on a switch to get more bw available.
>
> You must be referring to "bonding" or "EtherChannel". I have tried
> it in linux. What you are saying can't work, becouse:
> bonding, creates a seperate virtual network interface, which is the
> one with the combined speed. THIS is the one you assign your IP to.
> The real network interfaces aren't assigned any ip, they are used
> directly by the bonding driver.

yes, that's right .... well, I tried to say that, I was not as clear
as I tought...

> What is more, this technology cannot be used for connecting a single
> computer to multiple networks. It is used to connect to another
> SINGLE device, which uses the same technology.

well, again, that is why I think it will not work. If you want to
combine these two real adsl interfaces into one virtual interface,
you'll have to do it on the other end .... and as these lines are not
the same speed, packets will not arrive at the same time for a correct
re-arrengement.

> A few month I asked my Cisco instructor for that same problem. He
> told me that it CAN be done, but it SHOULDN'T be done, becouse it is
> not stable, by design.

I've never tried, thoug if you have to adsl links of same speed, on
both ends, I think it could be possibly done. I repeat, I've done this
on switches, but only switches ....

lucas

----
El proposito de elegir funcionarios es que nosotros
no tengamos que pensar.
                                     Homero Simpson