* [LARTC] marking packets problem: iptables
@ 2003-07-24  5:27 pawan  gupta
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: pawan  gupta @ 2003-07-24  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hi all,

I've set up iptables to mark all the packets coming from
a particular host on my network. But I'm not sure whether my
packets are getting marked or not. Does iptables provides any
way to the packets which are getting marked (or any other way
which makes sure that the packets are getting marked)?

Please help

thanks,
Pawan

* Re: [LARTC] marking packets problem: iptables
@ 2003-07-24  5:43 ` Andrew Hall
From: Andrew Hall @ 2003-07-24  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Depends what you mean by checking for marked packets. The netfilter "mark"
is only is a logical mark, in that the packet doesn't actually get changed
with a mark, so if you're expecting to see any changes with TCPDUMP or
similar you're not going to see any changes to the packet. The mark value is
only used by other hook listeners to recognise a particular flow, it's only
relevant within the netfilter and TC frameworks.

Hope this helps,

Andrew.

@ 2003-07-24 12:29 ` hare ram
From: hare ram @ 2003-07-24 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hi Pawan
yes you can check the packets are marked or not
by giving iptables -xvnL
and see any packets marked

hare

@ 2003-07-28 17:46 ` Stef Coene
From: Stef Coene @ 2003-07-28 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Thursday 24 July 2003 07:27, pawan gupta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've set up iptables to mark all the packets coming from
> a particular host on my network. But I'm not sure whether my
> packets are getting marked or not. Does iptables provides any
> way to the packets which are getting marked (or any other way
> which makes sure that the packets are getting marked)?
You can check the iptables counters to see if the iptables rules are matched.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"