* [LARTC] Bandwith sharing in NAT environment.
@ 2003-08-09 16:30 Rajesh
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rajesh @ 2003-08-09 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hi

I wish to implement Bandwith sharing in a NAT environment.

The question is whether I can classify input packets on the basis of ip-addresses (private LAN addresses)? These packets finally need to be NATed before going on to Internet.

Would the tc filters see the private addresses and put it in the appropriate classes or would the tc filters see only the NATed address and the filter would fail in putting the packets in the appropriate classes?

The n/w diag would be somewhat like this

private address LAN ips ------>iptables(NAT)------>Internet.

Can I mark packets using iptables matching source ip-address?
What address will tc filter see when the private addresses are masqueraded ?

Any help is most welcome.

Cheers,
Rajesh

* Re: [LARTC] Bandwith sharing in NAT environment.
@ 2003-08-09 21:23 ` Stef Coene
From: Stef Coene @ 2003-08-09 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Saturday 09 August 2003 18:30, Rajesh wrote:
> Hi
>
> I wish to implement Bandwith sharing in a NAT environment.
>
> The question is whether I can classify input packets on the basis of
> ip-addresses (private LAN addresses)? These packets finally need to be
> NATed before going on to Internet.
>
> Would the tc filters see the private addresses and put it in the
> appropriate classes or would the tc filters see only the NATed address and
> the filter would fail in putting the packets in the appropriate classes?
>
> The n/w diag would be somewhat like this
>
> private address LAN ips ------>iptables(NAT)------>Internet.
>
> Can I mark packets using iptables matching source ip-address?
Yes.

> What address will tc filter see when the private addresses are masqueraded
> ?
The ip address of your firewall.  So you have to mark the packets in
prerouting before the natting....

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"

* Re: [LARTC] Bandwith sharing in NAT environment.
@ 2003-08-14 11:15 ` Raghuveer
From: Raghuveer @ 2003-08-14 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Rajesh wrote:

>Hi
>
>I wish to implement Bandwith sharing in a NAT environment.
>
>The question is whether I can classify input packets on the basis of ip-addresses (private LAN addresses)? These packets finally need to be NATed before going on to Internet.
>
>Would the tc filters see the private addresses and put it in the appropriate classes or would the tc filters see only the NATed address and the filter would fail in putting the packets in the appropriate classes?
>
>The n/w diag would be somewhat like this
>
>private address LAN ips ------>iptables(NAT)------>Internet.

private address LAN ips ------>tc(netlink)--------->iptables(NAT)------>Internet
I feel this is how it is...so dnat will be after tc in LAN to WAN and snat will be before tc in WAN to LAN.

-Raghu

@ 2003-08-14 11:26 ` S Mohan
From: S Mohan @ 2003-08-14 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

In a NAT environment, it is advisable to mark packets in prerouting stage.
Subsequently, till the packets leaves the system , the mark will not be
changed by any other process except a explicit mark iptables statement. Even
if NAT changes IP address, the fw mark will still be the same allowing for
classification. AFAIK, mark can have values rangign from 1 to 255.

Mohan