* [LARTC] Connection Tracking - How Many???
@ 2003-09-24  2:44 Walter D. Wyndroski
From: Walter D. Wyndroski @ 2003-09-24  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

How many connections can be tracked with:

512 megabytes of RAM?
1 gigabyte of RAM?

I know there is a limit. I read it somewhere about eight months ago in some obscure location.

Thanks in advance.
Walt
* This message has been scanned by CityNET's email scanner for viruses and dangerous content *
* and is believed to be clean.  CityNET is proud to use MailScanner.  For more information   *
* concerning MailScanner, visit http://www.mailscanner.info                                  *

* Re: [LARTC] Connection Tracking - How Many???
@ 2003-09-24 17:26 ` Stef Coene
From: Stef Coene @ 2003-09-24 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 04:44, Walter D. Wyndroski wrote:
> How many connections can be tracked with:
>
> 512 megabytes of RAM?
> 1 gigabyte of RAM?
>
> I know there is a limit. I read it somewhere about eight months ago in some
> obscure location.
From the faq page on netfilter.org :

3.6 ip_conntrack: maximum limit of XXX entries exceeded

If you notice the following message in syslog, it looks like the conntrack
database doesn't have enough entries for your environment. Connection
tracking by default handles up to a certain number of simultaneous
connections. This number is dependent on you system's maximum memory size (at
64MB: 4096, 128MB: 8192, ...).

You can easily increase the number of maximal tracked connections, but be
aware that each tracked connection eats about 350 bytes of non-swappable
kernel memory!

To increase this limit to e.g. 8192, type:

echo "8192" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_conntrack_max

Stef

--
stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"

* Re: [LARTC] Connection Tracking - How Many???
@ 2003-09-25 19:35 ` Walter D. Wyndroski
From: Walter D. Wyndroski @ 2003-09-25 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Sorry, I must have missed it when reading the netfilter howto. I found it later when reading through it again: approx 32,000 connections per 512 megs of ram.

Walt