* [LARTC] Bandwidth bounding in a Shared Channel (reused bandwidth)
@ 2003-10-10 14:54 Randolph Carter
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Randolph Carter @ 2003-10-10 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Sometimes (especially with DSL) in my location when you bought a channel
say 128Kbps, there are some "peak" times when you can get even 256Kbps,
and another times the channel can go down to least than 128Kbps(in that
case the queuing discipline in the box would be doin't but nothing, and
the queue would fall into the DSL router). When I used TC + HTB the users
complain the speed has dramaticly decreased, and somehow they are right,
the channel are not using the peaks(call bursts if you want). How can I do
the queing discipline be aware of those changes, any idea; any
suggestion?

This problem could be present also in the VSATs where the channel is
shared, and the bandwidth allocated by use. Thanx in advance,

The new Congressmen say they're going to turn the government around.  I
hope I don't get run over again.
eject the proposal.

* Re: [LARTC] Bandwidth bounding in a Shared Channel (reused bandwidth)
@ 2003-10-10 19:48 ` Stef Coene
From: Stef Coene @ 2003-10-10 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Friday 10 October 2003 16:54, Randolph Carter wrote:
> Sometimes (especially with DSL) in my location when you bought a channel
> say 128Kbps, there are some "peak" times when you can get even 256Kbps,
> and another times the channel can go down to least than 128Kbps(in that
> case the queuing discipline in the box would be doin't but nothing, and
> the queue would fall into the DSL router). When I used TC + HTB the users
> complain the speed has dramaticly decreased, and somehow they are right,
> the channel are not using the peaks(call bursts if you want). How can I do
> the queing discipline be aware of those changes, any idea; any
> suggestion?
This is allmot impossible to implement.  You can not 'sense' the speed of the
link on your shaping box in real time.  And that's what you need.

Stef

--
stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"

* Re: [LARTC] Bandwidth bounding in a Shared Channel (reused bandwidth)
@ 2003-10-10 19:59 ` Randolph Carter
From: Randolph Carter @ 2003-10-10 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Sure stef, no aproximation methods? some probabilistic/statistical
approach to the problem?

"The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and
stupidity."

@ 2003-10-10 20:45 ` Stef Coene
From: Stef Coene @ 2003-10-10 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Friday 10 October 2003 21:59, Randolph Carter wrote:
> Sure stef, no aproximation methods? some probabilistic/statistical
> approach to the problem?
You can control the bandwidth even if you send more data then your modem can
handle.  But you will have less control then the situation of where YOU are
the bottleneck.
To make sure YOU are the bottleneck, you need to kow the speed of the
bottleneck of the link.  So I'm afraid you are out of luck if you don't know
the exact modem speed.

Stef