* [LARTC] Linux bandwidth arbitrator
@ 2003-10-13 11:23 Lanre Eke
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Lanre Eke @ 2003-10-13 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Hi,
i will like to use the linux bandwidth arbitrator so i downloaded "arbitrator6.2.tar.gz" from their site unto my redhat 9.0 system but i dont know how to install it and run it.

I will like to use it for traffic shapping and try it for on my network.

Please can anyone help me at this

Thanks

lanre

* Re: [LARTC] Linux bandwidth arbitrator
@ 2003-10-13 18:46 ` Stef Coene
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Stef Coene @ 2003-10-13 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Monday 13 October 2003 13:23, Lanre Eke wrote:
> Hi,
> i will like to use the linux bandwidth arbitrator so i downloaded
> "arbitrator6.2.tar.gz" from their site unto my redhat 9.0 system but i dont
> know how to install it and run it.
>
> I will like to use it for traffic shapping and try it for on my network.
What's "linux bandwidth arbitrator" ???

Stef

--
stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"

* Re: [LARTC] Linux bandwidth arbitrator
@ 2003-10-13 21:10 ` Stef Coene
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stef Coene @ 2003-10-13 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Monday 13 October 2003 22:05, Robert Kurjata wrote:
> Hi Stef,
>
> W Twoim liœcie datowanym 13 paŸdziernika 2003 (20:46:54) mo¿na przeczytaæ:
>
> SC> On Monday 13 October 2003 13:23, Lanre Eke wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> i will like to use the linux bandwidth arbitrator so i downloaded
> >> "arbitrator6.2.tar.gz" from their site unto my redhat 9.0 system but i
> >> dont know how to install it and run it.
> >>
> >> I will like to use it for traffic shapping and try it for on my network.
>
> SC> What's "linux bandwidth arbitrator" ???
>
> SC> Stef
>
> it's low level arbitration (shaping) done by BRIDGE
> software not an iproute+tc+iptables based. (Isn't it out of scope here?)
I never heard of it.  This is list is for iproute2+tc problems/questions.

Stef

--

@ 2003-10-17 10:15 ` Damjan
From: Damjan @ 2003-10-17 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

> > SC> What's "linux bandwidth arbitrator" ???
> >
> > SC> Stef
> >
> > it's low level arbitration (shaping) done by BRIDGE
> > software not an iproute+tc+iptables based. (Isn't it out of scope here?)
> I never heard of it.  This is list is for iproute2+tc problems/questions.

Its bizzare how the "linux bandwidth arbitrator" authors have never
heard of HTB, LARTC people have not heard of "arbitrator". :)

arbitrator has some nice features, it acctually tracks the bandwidth
usage and can limit the big spenders - so its more dynamic than pure "tc".
The problem is its completelly different than "tc" and requires a number of
strange kernel patches (that perhaps are not tested enough).

I wish I could see an integration of the solutions ...

btw, this list is about LARTC so the arbitrator still somehow belongs in
this categorry, although it doesn't use "tc".

--
Damjan Georgievski
jabberID: damjan@bagra.net.mk

* RE: [LARTC] Linux bandwidth arbitrator
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-17 11:21 ` Brandis Jaroslav
From: Brandis Jaroslav @ 2003-10-17 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

> Its bizzare how the "linux bandwidth arbitrator" authors have
> never heard of HTB, LARTC people have not heard of "arbitrator". :)
>
> arbitrator has some nice features, it acctually tracks the
> bandwidth usage and can limit the big spenders - so its more
> dynamic than pure "tc".

But it's very useful function isn't it ?

> The problem is its completelly different than "tc" and
> requires a number of strange kernel patches (that perhaps are
> not tested enough).

* Re: [LARTC] Linux bandwidth arbitrator
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-10-20 10:25 ` Andy Furniss
From: Andy Furniss @ 2003-10-20 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Friday 17 October 2003 11:15 am, Damjan wrote:

> > > it's low level arbitration (shaping) done by BRIDGE
> > > software not an iproute+tc+iptables based. (Isn't it out of scope
> > > here?)
> >
> > I never heard of it.  This is list is for iproute2+tc
> > problems/questions.
>
> Its bizzare how the "linux bandwidth arbitrator" authors have never
> heard of HTB, LARTC people have not heard of "arbitrator". :)
>
> arbitrator has some nice features, it acctually tracks the bandwidth
> usage and can limit the big spenders - so its more dynamic than pure
> "tc". The problem is its completelly different than "tc" and requires a
> number of strange kernel patches (that perhaps are not tested enough).
>
> I wish I could see an integration of the solutions ...
>
> btw, this list is about LARTC so the arbitrator still somehow belongs in
> this categorry, although it doesn't use "tc".

Just to add confusion there's a Linux bandwidth controller called arbiter,
which works by delaying acks :-)

Andy.