* [LARTC] Redundant Internet connections [Updated]
@ 2003-10-13 16:24 Seth J. Blank
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Seth J. Blank @ 2003-10-13 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Sorry, I really wasn't paying attention when I wrote this (i.e. I've had
no sleep).

I have the routing tables working properly for the internal network.

What I need to do is have the routing tables update the gateways when a
line is down.

i.e.    intranet ----- firewall ----- router1 ----- internet
                 \-- router2 ----- internet
Currently, I have the gateway from the firewall being nexthops between
router1 and router2. This works fine. But what I need to do is have the
firewall check the links between router1/2 and the internet and switch
gateways if a line is down.
What I want to do, but can't figure out how to, is send out a packet
through router1 and see if it gets an arbitrary number of hops (probably
3) out. If not, switch the default route to use the other gateway. This
needs to be done for both gateways, and there also needs to be a route
to restore the gateways when the line goes back up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Seth J. Blank
Systems Operations