* [Linux-ia64] disabling nics using boot options.
@ 2003-01-09  8:30 Roy Dragseth
From: Roy Dragseth @ 2003-01-09  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ia64

Hello again.

Thanks for all the nice answers to my previous question about disabling
interfaces with efi.

As it seems to be impossible to disable the NICs in hardware, I want to try to
make the linux kernel avoid probing the devices by using the reserve= boot
option.  The problem is that I am unable to figure out the right parameters
for the Gbit NIC because /proc/pci doesn't contain any iobase information for
this device.

I found an example in the BOOTPROMPT-HOWTO,
http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.4
and it works for the 10/100Mbit interface using the eepro100 module.

Here are what /proc/pci and /proc/iomem says about the relevant devices:

/proc/pci:
  Bus  0, device   3, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 13).
      IRQ 53.
      Master Capable.  Latency=128.  Min Gnt=8.Max Lat=56.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x80020000 [0x80020fff].
      I/O at 0xd00 [0xd3f].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x80000000 [0x8001ffff].
  Bus 32, device   2, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: BROADCOM Corporation NetXtreme BCM5701 Gigabit
Ethernet (rev 21).
      IRQ 56.
      Master Capable.  Latency=192.  Min Gnt=64.
      Non-prefetchable 64 bit memory at 0x90800000 [0x9080ffff].
  Bus 128, device   1, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: BROADCOM Corporation NetXtreme BCM5701 Gigabit
Ethernet (#2) (rev 21).
      IRQ 65.
      Master Capable.  Latency=192.  Min Gnt=64.
      Non-prefetchable 64 bit memory at 0xc0000000 [0xc000ffff].

As one can see, the entry for the Ethernet Pro 100 nic has a line
      I/O at 0xd00 [0xd3f].
so the the reserve entry becomes 0xd00,64.  This works as expected, the device
doesn't show up when I boot with
  reserve=0xd00,64
However, the entries for the Gbit interfaces don't have this information, do
anyone know where I should look for the parameters for these devices?

r.

--

  The Computer Center, University of Tromsø, N-9037 TROMSØ, Norway.
	      phone:+47 77 64 41 07, fax:+47 77 64 41 00

* Re: [Linux-ia64] disabling nics using boot options.
@ 2003-01-09 15:16 ` Roy Dragseth
From: Roy Dragseth @ 2003-01-09 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ia64

Further investigation shows that if I connect the Gbit interface to a 10Mbs
hub everything works ok, e.g. using the ksdevice=eth2 boot option works as
expected.

I have narrowed this down to the following problem:  When the init process
tries to configure the eth2 with dhcp it fail, but if I logon as root and run

/etc/init.d/network start

everything works ok.  Subsequent reboots also works ok because now the
information is cached in /etc/dhcpc/.  If I remove the cached info the
problem turn up again.

Do anyone know what could be different between init running the network start
and when root does it?

r.