* anyone caring about ipchains?
@ 2003-10-24 23:04 David Mosberger
From: David Mosberger @ 2003-10-24 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ia64

I noticed that ipchains isn't terribly stable in 2.6.0-test8.  For me,
it caused a kernel hang after masquerading a client doing some web
surfing.  Actually, it never was terribly good even on 2.4.21 as it
would cause periodic stalls (not quite as bad as the 2.6 behavior, but
still not great).  iptables on the other hand seems to work quite
well.  Does anyone still care about ipchains or should we just declare
it dead technology?

	--david

* Re: anyone caring about ipchains?
@ 2003-10-24 23:45 ` Martin Pool
From: Martin Pool @ 2003-10-24 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ia64

On 24 Oct 2003, David Mosberger <davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com> wrote:
> I noticed that ipchains isn't terribly stable in 2.6.0-test8.  For me,
> it caused a kernel hang after masquerading a client doing some web
> surfing.  Actually, it never was terribly good even on 2.4.21 as it
> would cause periodic stalls (not quite as bad as the 2.6 behavior, but
> still not great).  iptables on the other hand seems to work quite
> well.  Does anyone still care about ipchains or should we just declare
> it dead technology?

I had the idea from Rusty that since it has been deprecated for a
couple of years, it was OK for it to break unless somebody cared
enough to maintain it.  Maybe post to l-k to see?

--
Martin