* increase size of raid
@ 2020-08-24 19:33 grumpy
From: grumpy @ 2020-08-24 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

i have 2 6tb drives
i use a 3tb partition on each drive for raid 1
i want to increase the size of the partitions
what are the steps for this that will result in the least likelihood of me screw'n up my system
thanks

* Re: increase size of raid
@ 2020-08-28 15:41 ` antlists
From: antlists @ 2020-08-28 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grumpy, linux-raid

On 24/08/2020 20:33, grumpy@mailfence.com wrote:
> i have 2 6tb drives
> i use a 3tb partition on each drive for raid 1
> i want to increase the size of the partitions
> what are the steps for this that will result in the least likelihood of
> me screw'n up my system
> thanks

Seeing as no-one else has commented - you don't happen to have a spare
disk by any chance? In that case you simply create a new 6TB partition
on your new disk, and do a replace. You can then rinse and repeat with
the disk you've just freed.

Otherwise, what I think you do is ... SHUT DOWN THE ARRAY. I *think* you
can increase the partition size by deleting the old 3TB partition then
just creating a new one starting in exactly the same place. Do it on one
disk, test it by restarting the array. If it works, rinse and repeat on
the second disk.

You now have a 3TB array on 2 6TB partitions. You should be able to do
an "mdadm --grow" on the array - no need to specify the size as it
should default to 6TB - to make a 6TB array. There are reports that
might fail - a reboot should fix that - and you can now grow your
filesystem to use the whole array.

Cheers,
Wol

* Re: increase size of raid
@ 2020-08-28 16:06   ` grumpy
From: grumpy @ 2020-08-28 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020, antlists wrote:

> On 24/08/2020 20:33, grumpy@mailfence.com wrote:
>> i have 2 6tb drives
>> i use a 3tb partition on each drive for raid 1
>> i want to increase the size of the partitions
>> what are the steps for this that will result in the least likelihood of me
>> screw'n up my system
>> thanks
>
> Seeing as no-one else has commented - you don't happen to have a spare disk
> by any chance? In that case you simply create a new 6TB partition on your new
> disk, and do a replace. You can then rinse and repeat with the disk you've
> just freed.
>
> Otherwise, what I think you do is ... SHUT DOWN THE ARRAY. I *think* you can
> increase the partition size by deleting the old 3TB partition then just
> creating a new one starting in exactly the same place. Do it on one disk,
> test it by restarting the array. If it works, rinse and repeat on the second
> disk.
>
> You now have a 3TB array on 2 6TB partitions. You should be able to do an
> "mdadm --grow" on the array - no need to specify the size as it should
> default to 6TB - to make a 6TB array. There are reports that might fail - a
> reboot should fix that - and you can now grow your filesystem to use the
> whole array.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

that's exactly what i did